• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why Are We Not a Major Market

BusBoyIsBack

I just don't understand and probably never will why this can't be a premiere spot for attracting big time free agents.

Now don't get me wrong I love having Joe back, but we are not even considered by the likes of a LeBron, (not that I would even want him on this team, it's just the principle of the thing)

• Premium Member

I just don't understand and probably never will why this can't be a premiere spot for attracting big time free agents.

Now don't get me wrong I love having Joe back, but we are not even considered by the likes of a LeBron, (not that I would even want him on this team, it's just the principle of the thing)

We are a major market. We just don't have an attractive franchise. Atlanta is a top city. We're not Salt Lake City or Sacramento. I think we're the 9th largest media market in the US. The problem is that we have an ownership split that has gone on for 5 years and a history of mistreating players and not building to win. Those of you who think that we should let Joe Walk or Force Joe out are totally ignoring the truth of our condition. Until Joe came along, nobody wanted to come to Atlanta. The only reason people want to come now is because of the house that Joe built. It's pretty lame to think that we can get rid of Joe and all the sudden be attractive to free agents. Our franchise is a mess and it's known throughout FA circles.

I think that Atlanta the city has a great reputation, but our sports teams have gotten a bad rep in terms of fan support and organizational philosophy. Until ASG gets the reputation of being a ownership group that believes in winning at all cost, it will be hard to attract premiere free agents. I think Joe is the first step to show that commitment.

I think that Atlanta the city has a great reputation, but our sports teams have gotten a bad rep in terms of fan support and organizational philosophy. Until ASG gets the reputation of being a ownership group that believes in winning at all cost, it will be hard to attract premiere free agents. I think Joe is the first step to show that commitment.

Our rep isn't any worse than Miami. We didnt attract big free agents because we have no FA money. We are over the cap.

We are a major market. We just don't have an attractive franchise. Atlanta is a top city. We're not Salt Lake City or Sacramento. I think we're the 9th largest media market in the US. The problem is that we have an ownership split that has gone on for 5 years and a history of mistreating players and not building to win. Those of you who think that we should let Joe Walk or Force Joe out are totally ignoring the truth of our condition. Until Joe came along, nobody wanted to come to Atlanta. The only reason people want to come now is because of the house that Joe built. It's pretty lame to think that we can get rid of Joe and all the sudden be attractive to free agents. Our franchise is a mess and it's known throughout FA circles.

Ditto!! I think you can just type faster than me.....He he!!

• Premium Member

The problems in atlanta.

Taylor Smith AND BABCOCK.

Unlike Schurholtz, Smith and Babcock created an atmosphere in Football and Basketball that treated the players like servants and treated the fans like idiots. Whenever something worked, you can guarantee that they would destroy it.

I really wonder why Kasten stopped running the Hawks on a day by day?

I know he wasn't a basketball guy, but he was a smart guy.

I fully believe that ASG is really trying to change the perception of Atlanta Sports even though they themselves have made some missteps. I think what we will see is a buyout of Belkin and a new owner named before the end of the year.

Our rep isn't any worse than Miami. We didnt attract big free agents because we have no FA money. We are over the cap.

I agree with the Miami comment. I remember when Wade was not winning he couldn't even pack the arena( And he is as premiere as you can get). But cap space is not as important if you have tradeable options, which we do! But cap space is good to have! How much do we have anyway?

• Premium Member

ATL has had a bad rep as yall said but honestly I think we're starting to get alot better. If we had alot of CAP space I think we could have competed for any top FA.

Right now, we have player value. That's our "cap space". So we work via trade. That's how we will get Chris Paul. We will have just enough money to please Shaq. We will bring Chillz back home and we will trade Marvelous for something.

Yes we are over the cap however our reputation as a city that does not support it's basketball team is partly responsible. Contrary to national opinion Atlanta fans are inclined to route for their teams( if they are real contenders for something big ). Since Blank took over the falcons they have been selling out the dome. When the braves started the run of division titles this city went crazy for them. It wasn't untill it became clear that 1 world series win was as good as it would get that attendance started to slide. Atlanta fans want to be entertained we want excitement and not just that, team we know can win. The reason the hawks haven't gotten the best these fans have to offer is because fans are aware if a team is legit .hen a team that can bring a title is here they get support. The problem is we havent had owners with a sense of what it takes to win. Maybe that is changing. If when it does the true fanaticism of Atlanta Fans will show. There are the die hard fans like most people on this board(myself included). But most are band wagon jumpers waiting for a good ride to come along. If ASG is comitted to winning and put together a team worth rooting for this city will root like theres no tomorrow. Good owners bring good players that can contend and fans will follow that. Players don't come cause of fans they come to get paid and to win.

Sorry kinda turned into a rant

Edited by darealist

How many teams has Lebron visited that are not under the cap??

Edited by pimp