• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jordan Crawford at PG?

vdunkndunk

After watching the summer leage games, is anyone else as impressed with Jordan Crawford as I am?

I see a lot of potential for him at PG; and if he could pull it off, he'd go from being an undersized SG to a fairly big PG. In fact, I personally believe that Crawford is a better PG prospect than Teague: I think Crawford has a better feel for the game and is more aggressive, plus he's a better shooter, is nearly as quick, and handles the ball and passes as well or better than Teague. I think Teague is the better defender, but I'm already wishing that they'd give Crawford Teague's minutes this year.

Anyone else feel the same?

• Admin

After watching the summer leage games, is anyone else as impressed with Jordan Crawford as I am?

I see a lot of potential for him at PG; and if he could pull it off, he'd go from being an undersized SG to a fairly big PG. In fact, I personally believe that Crawford is a better PG prospect than Teague: I think Crawford has a better feel for the game and is more aggressive, plus he's a better shooter, is nearly as quick, and handles the ball and passes as well or better than Teague. I think Teague is the better defender, but I'm already wishing that they'd give Crawford Teague's minutes this year.

Anyone else feel the same?

I did get to watch a couple of his games....he looked good and a very willing passer

As for being a pg ... I don't think so. His handles need a lot of work.... the way he dribbles I can see the ball getting stolen a lot....he dribbles with the ball far from his body.

He is a scorer and has a scorer's mentality. His future is at sg

Remember this is summer league which is essentially play ground basketball.

I did get to watch a couple of his games....he looked good and a very willing passer

As for being a pg ... I don't think so. His handles need a lot of work.... the way he dribbles I can see the ball getting stolen a lot....he dribbles with the ball far from his body.

He is a scorer and has a scorer's mentality. His future is at sg

Remember this is summer league which is essentially play ground basketball.

I agree that Crawford has a scorer's mentality, but there's plenty of room for scoring PGs in the NBA. I also think his handles are fine; he's deceptive and aggressive, and he's a threat to hit the jumpshot, which gives him a big advantage over Teague right now in my mind. It also seems like the team performs better and more cohesively with Crawford at the point than with Teague, and I haven't noticed Crawford turning it over all that much (whereas Teague, for some reason, seems to be turning it over left and right). I'd just like to see what he can do in NBA games at point--if he could play at that position he would become much more valuable, and I think he can do it (at least as a solid backup down the road, maybe even as a starter in a few years.)

• Premium Member

Crawford is more comfortable at the 2 and you can tell that in the summer league games. What is it with the Hawks wanting play good players out of position? First it was Joe, then Horf and now Crawford. Anyways, I am really impressed with Crawford's skill and disposition at both ends of the floor even in summer league. He's got a chance to be really good if he gets playing time (which is going to be tough unless a move is made).

• Premium Member

I'm not so sure that there will be no minutes for Jordan this season. He's a good shooter and decent ball handler, both of which are valuable in Drew's motion offense. He's shown that he can play without the ball by the way he gets to open spots on the court and he's shown that he can be a very good passer as well. I'm sure he'd rather play SG than PG, but he looked pretty darn good at the PG position for a guy who was supposedly selfish coming out of college. He's the true definition of a combo guard, and that's exactly what the Hawks wanted going into the draft. I want to see how JC2 finishes out his summer league play now that teams know he is a threat to score. If he continues to flourish against the increased attention I get the feeling that Jordan may see minutes during the regular season sooner rather than later.

The bottom line to me is we have two good, up & coming, Guards! I'm with the OP, I think JC2 can play PG too.

Yes, I am very excited for both Teague and Crawford. If we know anything about this offseason it's that both of them will see a substantial amount of playing time. I mean we dont look to be signing anybody else of significance so they're going to have to play, which is fine by me because both of them have a ton of talent.

Something Mike Woodson NEVER did was develop his young guys. Teague and Crawford will have more than ample time to showcase their skills with LD running the show.

Yes, I am very excited for both Teague and Crawford. If we know anything about this offseason it's that both of them will see a substantial amount of playing time. I mean we dont look to be signing anybody else of significance so they're going to have to play, which is fine by me because both of them have a ton of talent.

Something Mike Woodson NEVER did was develop his young guys. Teague and Crawford will have more than ample time to showcase their skills with LD running the show.

Teague will prob see minutes but barring a big craw trade big craw is gonna take almost all of little craw's minutes.

I hope, and I like your optimism. While I do agree Teague will get more minutes having a year under his belt and Bibby continuing to deteriorate, I'm not sure about Crawford. Replying to the thread, there's a future with Crawford being a point guard if that's the direction the organization wants to go, but that transformation won't happen this year. He's a natural 2 guard, and we drafted him as such. He's going to be playing behind Joe and Craws, for the most part. I don't see him getting many minutes unless he proves to LD that he just can't keep him off the floor...which might be asking too much playing behind an all-star and the 6th man of the year.

• Premium Member

If JC2 plays like this in practice everyday, I'm pretty sure LD will have a hard time keeping him off the court come gametime. This kid believes in himself and his game reflects that. I think the best thing for him is to have a mentor like Jamal Crawford to help him along in his first season as a pro. But I don't want to see him lose his swagger because that swag is what makes him as effective as he is. He is very smart offensively whether he has the ball or not. He is adept at drawing fouls which was a knock on him in college and he's good at finding open spots on the court when he doesn't have the ball. His understanding of court spacing and scoring ability makes him a good fit for Drew's offense so I think he may see more time as a Rookie than some may think.

• Premium Member

If JC2 plays like this in practice everyday, I'm pretty sure LD will have a hard time keeping him off the court come gametime. This kid believes in himself and his game reflects that. I think the best thing for him is to have a mentor like Jamal Crawford to help him along in his first season as a pro. But I don't want to see him lose his swagger because that swag is what makes him as effective as he is. He is very smart offensively whether he has the ball or not. He is adept at drawing fouls which was a knock on him in college and he's good at finding open spots on the court when he doesn't have the ball. His understanding of court spacing and scoring ability makes him a good fit for Drew's offense so I think he may see more time as a Rookie than some may think.

The only problem i see so far with Crawford is that he shoots better under pressure (i.e. with a hand in his face) that he does when he is wide open. Hope that changes.

• Premium Member

But I agree Hawkman, Crawford is very smart with the ball in his hands and has a natural feel on offense that Teague just doesn't have. Both He and SY appear to know how to attack a defense by finding the weaknesses which allows them to get to the rim better than Teague. Hopefully Teague can learn this also.

But I agree Hawkman, Crawford is very smart with the ball in his hands and has a natural feel on offense that Teague just doesn't have. Both He and SY appear to know how to attack a defense by finding the weaknesses which allows them to get to the rim better than Teague. Hopefully Teague can learn this also.

Crawford has a quicker first step but Teague has been penetrating defenses at will this summer (including, perhaps, against the best PG in LV). So far I've been more impressed with Craw's D than Teague's and Teague's O more than Craw's. Reason being that I expected the exact opposite.

• Premium Member

Crawford has a quicker first step but Teague has been penetrating defenses at will this summer (including, perhaps, against the best PG in LV). So far I've been more impressed with Craw's D than Teague's and Teague's O more than Craw's. Reason being that I expected the exact opposite.

You're right, Crawford's Defense has been very good. He anticipates very well and has used good judgment when deciding when to gamble in the passing lanes. Teague penetrates at will but often is ineffective because his passes are telegraphed. I am always surprised by Crawford's passes finding a big guy at the precise time he comes open. Teague became more of a perimeter passer in the last game which helped cut down on his turnovers