• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Grass is Always Greener

Dragitoff

I know we've speculated about "what could've been", but let's be honest, ANY major deal is always a long-shot because this isn't NBA 2K, it's real life. Many of people, including the Hawks brass and ownership, have said the team was highly successful last season and they saw no reason to blow things up. A few tweaks here and there was what they felt would be good enough. Reports are that Jason Collins is coming back and Josh Powell is close to signing with the Hawks as well. I, for one am still holding out hope that we also bring in Shaq. For argument's sake, is the team listed below an improvement over last year?

Starters

Bibby

Johnson

Williams

Smith

Horford

Bench:

Crawford

O'Neal

Teague

Powell

Pachulia

Crawford

Evans

Collins

IMO, that's a very solid 13 man team (with fillers from Summer League team or other)

Compare that to last season's team and you have Jordan Crawford essentially filling the roster space occupied by Mario West. Obviously Mario was a high energy guy that was dubbed as a defensive player. He had plenty of heart but was obviously no scorer so comparing the two is difficult, but I think Jordan certainly has a much higher ceiling than Mario. Advantage 2010-11 team

Shaq fills ZaZa's role (even though ZaZa is still on the team). Shaq gives the Hawks the beef in the middle on both ends of the court and isn't just a big body with 6 fouls to spare. In limited roles, he can still be somewhat dominant. He's a bit of an injury risk, but still serves a valuable purpose. Advantage 2010-11 team

Powell would fill the role vacated by Joe Smith. Joe was a savy vet, and probably a good locker room presence. All reports indicate Powell would be much of the same. Powell's youth and athleticism might give him the edge, especially since Joe didn't perform at a very high level at any time last season. Was that a product of Woody? Who knows. For this, I'll say push.

Teague steps back into the same role he had last season as backup PG, but with the obvious plan for him to be the PG of the future. Will he accept the larger role and rise to the occasion? Time will tell. Early on, it appears Drew is trying to repair the psychological damage Woody might have caused Teague by showing his lack of trust in the rookie last season by giving him a bigger role. If he doesn't perform well, this could backfire. If he does, the Hawks could take the next step (see Rondo, Rajon). For now, I'll call it a push.

ZaZa moves down a notch to the same role Jason Collins and Randolph Morris filled last season . Obviously, ZaZa is an improvement in that area. Huge advantage 2010-11 team

Jason Collins returns but only as vet presence and extreme depth at the center position.

The offensive ball-movement vs. iso play will ultimately be the determining factor over whether this team is an improvement, but when you look at role comparison (since the key cogs are the same), you have to feel this team has improved. Sure, Miami has improved, but Cleveland has digressed significantly. Milwaukee and Chicago have most likely improved, but enough to pass the Hawks? Tough to say. Boston added some good pieces, but they're another year older and are expected to miss Perkins for some time, and Wallace most likely is retiring.

Good post. I hope we get Shaq too!

Great analysis. Sometimes you have to seriously evaluate what you have and roll with it. I'm disappointed that we haven't made any significant changes, but you have a point in the bench improvement. I really think this whole thing hinges on Jeff Teague. To me, if he shows great improvement over last year and pushes Bibby for the starting gig, we are in a good spot. However, if he struggles, then we have a dilemma because we all know of Bibby's defensive issues and his lost ability to attack and draw defenders. We need Teague to be that change of pace guy to run LD's new offense.

Great post man!

I agree that we have a very good and competitive team... However, the most satisfying aspect of it all is the fact that we have built this team brick by brick, and we're still seeing this team grow from within'... and that's the department that I personally expect the most from! We have lot's of talent, key pieces who are still very young and have huge upside!

P.S. I'm a true Hawks fan, believer... My personal dissapointments and disgust are aimed at this league, it's leadership, who allowed (for a handfull of bucks) every bloodsucker to ruin the brand that's been built by the legends of the sport... not to mention big market medias, agents, cry-baby players (so-called stars)...

I think most would agree if we get Shaq then it would be a successfull off season. That if is what will make or break it though. Shaq is a significant get, just as Crawford was last season. So to put this in perspective. If we do not get Shaq, I think it would be just as bad a off season in comparison to if we did not get Crawford last season.

In other words, no Crawford no major improvement last year. Same for this season if we don't get Shaq.

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

I think most would agree if we get Shaq then it would be a successfull off season. That if is what will make or break it though. Shaq is a significant get, just as Crawford was last season. So to put this in perspective. If we do not get Shaq, I think it would be just as bad a off season in comparison to if we did not get Crawford last season.

In other words, no Crawford no major improvement last year. Same for this season if we don't get Shaq.

I agree. Shaq is the key to the deal and if he arrives we will be contenders, if not, we're pretenders! If we were not going to get Shaq then we should have signed Kurt Thomas. Miami and Chicago have improved their teams and will be contending.

I agree. Shaq is the key to the deal and if he arrives we will be contenders, if not, we're pretenders! If we were not going to get Shaq then we should have signed Kurt Thomas. Miami and Chicago have improved their teams and will be contending.

I agree man. The Bulls have added starters, front court and back court depth. They are sleepers in my opinion who could shock anyone in the 1st or 2nd round. The Bucks also are right there with us if Bogut can stay healthy.

1-Miami

2-Orlando

3-Boston

4-Us ( Hawks) Provided 5 and 6 do not jump over us in the regular season standings

5-Chicago

6-Bucks

With or without Shaq, we are still 3rd seed in the East and will fail come the playoffs with our current roster. Boston is a post season team than us but we are better during the regular season.