• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

In JVG's Heat wins projection he briefly mentions Atlanta as 4th best

Admin

This goes along with what I've thought as far as us still being in that upper tier and until the Shaq signing I had Boston behind us but if they're healthy as the rosters currently stand I would say that they are better than us.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=5450211

Van Gundy backed off -- slightly -- from his claim that the Lakers are the only team that could beat the Heat in a playoff series.

"I think Boston -- with the [shaquille] O'Neal signing -- has a legitimate chance as well," he said. "But I think those are the only two teams that have a chance in a playoff series to beat them."

Van Gundy said he likes what the Bulls have done in adding Carlos Boozer, Kyle Korver, C.J. Watson, Ronnie Brewer and Keith Bogans, but he still doesn't see Chicago among the elite in the Eastern Conference.

"I think you've got Miami, and you have Boston just a notch below them," he said. "Orlando would have to be right below them, then I think Atlanta's a very good team.

"I would put those four teams clearly ahead of them right now, and I think Chicago could be fifth, sixth, seventh or eighth -- somewhere in that range."

• Premium Member

Respect his opinion and he seems to be more kind than a lot of the other talking heads. Seems our hopes rise and fall with Drew and if he can get more out of the same crew.

I think JVG is really blowing smoke....

When he said this team will not lose 2 games in a row... I said.. WTF. I make no secret that I hate Lebron. However, I just don't see the cohesion on that squad to make them one of the best in history. Sorry but Bosh is overrated and there's only one ball. Any matchup with a real Center will doom the heat.

This goes along with what I've thought as far as us still being in that upper tier and until the Shaq signing I had Boston behind us but if they're healthy as the rosters currently stand I would say that they are better than us.

I'm the biggest homer on the board and I have big respect for JVG but I just don't see the Hawks finishing ahead of the Bulls - who are a shooter away from being a very, very good team. I woudn't overlook Milwaukee as they're better with having Salmons for the entire year and a more experienced Brandon Jennings. Also, Detroit, Charlotte and NY (didn't they sweep us last year?) have improved and all 3 are tough match-ups for us. The East as a whole is much better this year and I don't see the Hawks hitting the 50 win mark.

I still think Boston is the class of the East with Miamii and Orlando not far behind. I'm not buying into the Heat hype as the team to beat mainly because of the hole at center and the fact that Bosh is one of the most overrated players in the league.

The Bulls aren't on Atlanta level. They gotten worst in terms of matchups v. us. Boozer gets shut down v. Atlanta and they lost Hinrich who always is a thorn in the side for Joe. Brewer is just a solid defensive minded forward, nothing special, he's not even as good as C.J. Miles.

We beat the Bulls last season like Orlando beat us. They have along way to go before they come at us.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Premium Member

The Heat are going to be tough. There is no getting around that, but they can be beaten and I don't think they'll win it this year...maybe not next year either. The NBA is as much physical as it is mental. And while Miami has stockpiled this tremendous physical talent, they have also given a mental advantage to every other capable team in the league. Teams will walk onto that floor determined to take them out. Moreover, it's not like the league hasn't seen super powered teams before - Jordan/Pippen, Magic/Worthy, Kobe/Shaq, Duncan/Robinson. And a lot of these teams were HISTORICALLY deep. They still have been been beaten and they didn't win it all every single year.

In the East, I don't think Boston is better than us. If we are playing at the top of our game (where champions play), we can beat them. Orlando is tough because they have a dangerous game plan. They're really just a hair away from being champions. Honestly, I don't think the top 4 in the East is defined. I think Boston is on the downside of their reign, but they will be competitive with us, Miami, and Orlando and we won't know how it all plays out until VERY late in the season (like the entire West was last season).

Additionally, I expect Chicago and Milwaukee to make impressive jumps and they'll threaten for the #4 spot. To be honest though, I'm not so much worried about what everyone else has done to improve. What I'm most worried about is us taking a step back. I hope LD's offense can help us get over the hump. If this team plays up to it's *potential*, we can beat anybody.

...doesn't mean that I wouldn't have loved to see us bring in an experienced coach and try to pull off a blockbuster.

• Premium Member

The Heat are going to be tough. There is no getting around that, but they can be beaten and I don't think they'll win it this year...maybe not next year either. The NBA is as much physical as it is mental. And while Miami has stockpiled this tremendous physical talent, they have also given a mental advantage to every other capable team in the league. Teams will walk onto that floor determined to take them out. Moreover, it's not like the league hasn't seen super powered teams before - Jordan/Pippen, Magic/Worthy, Kobe/Shaq, Duncan/Robinson. And a lot of these teams were HISTORICALLY deep. They still have been been beaten and they didn't win it all every single year.

In the East, I don't think Boston is better than us. If we are playing at the top of our game (where champions play), we can beat them. Orlando is tough because they have a dangerous game plan. They're really just a hair away from being champions. Honestly, I don't think the top 4 in the East is defined. I think Boston is on the downside of their reign, but they will be competitive with us, Miami, and Orlando and we won't know how it all plays out until VERY late in the season (like the entire West was last season).

Additionally, I expect Chicago and Milwaukee to make impressive jumps and they'll threaten for the #4 spot. To be honest though, I'm not so much worried about what everyone else has done to improve. What I'm most worried about is us taking a step back. I hope LD's offense can help us get over the hump. If this team plays up to it's *potential*, we can beat anybody.

...doesn't mean that I wouldn't have loved to see us bring in an experienced coach and try to pull off a blockbuster.

I'm a fan of history and history shows that you have a good shot at winning the big one when you have a dominant big man. The only case when that wasn't true is when the Bulls had Jordan. I just don't think Lebron or Wade or the combo of the two is better than Jordan. Jordan was the team. He didn't have to share, the team revolved around him and he knew how to make it work. I think that's where Miami's failing will be. Who will give in. Boston was fortunate because it had 3 allstars who were used to giving in. I don't think Wade or Lebron has a give in in them. I think they will try and when they try they will be pretty good. But remember, History says you need a big. There are bigs in this league. I wouldn't be surprised to see Miami Struggle against Milwaukee, Orlando, and NJ.. for the simple reason that they will be forced to matchup with a big.