• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pape Sy to play point guard!

Wurider05

Name of external link

It says in the article that the Hawks project him to be a point guard with Bibby and Teague. That is news to me!!

That doesn't totally surprise me, but I see him as more of a point forward based on what I saw of him in the summer league. I'll be shocked if he's quick enough to stay with some of the PG's we've got in this league but hopefully we'll finally be able to say that we found a quality player in the 2nd round.

He played exclusively at point during Summer League with another 2 and 3 on the court so I don't see why this is a surprise. I think he'd have some problems playing strictly as a backup 3 because he barely looks 190lbs despite being 6'7" but what would a Hawks player be without being a tweener?

For a 3 he has good handles but for a 1 he has a lot of work to do.

The kid is definitely raw but he's got the court vision and mindset of a PG - which is something that Jeff Teague lacks. The handles will come as he's a hard worker and will benefit from playing for a coach who understands the position. I have no idea what Pape can become but I'm intrigued - only because Larry Drew is very excited with the potential he sees. And ,unlike fans, LD has seen the guy in practices which is a much better forum for assessing a playe'rs skillset /potential than summer league play.

Finally I know how to pronounce his name. I'm excited about this signing because that's something unusual, a mystery, and bold move from Drew. You can tell from this move that new coach has strong personality (while being also nice person, which is rare). Both our rooks can play on the both side of the ball and are hard workers and are well suited for fast paced offense with exchangeable roles (Teague fits the bill too).

One thing's sure - Pop got the contract because he showed tremendous dedication. And that's what makes talented players great. We just don't know yet how talented is he.

Even with Sy's encouraging efficiency when scoring, his scoring rate was so low that, were it to decline just at a rate typical for a player moving from the Euroleague to the NBA, he'd score at a rate closer to Mario West than any other member of the 2009-10 Atlanta Hawks.

Given his age (22) and inexperience, there's little reason to expect Sy to make the massive, immediate jump in ability to contribute in the NBA in 2010-11 and, given his age and inexperience, the Hawks must move quickly to recoup their investment in Sy. It's highly unlikely that Sy becomes an NBA player* by wearing suits on a tour of our nation's benches. Thus, barring a rash of injuries, Sy should be in Reno on November 20th.

• Like 1