• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Last nights crowd was embarrassing!

HorfordTheBeast

• Premium Member

the official number for last night's Buck game was 11,000 but I swear it looked more like 5000. I've attended HS JR. Varsity games with more people.

Fans have done a good job showing up for big games, but Atlanta will never pack the house for a game like last night unless the Hawks turn into a championship team.

DING, DING, DING!!!

As I've mentioned a thousand times on this site whenever attendance is brought up (which is about once every other month), this city doesn't respond to a pro team unless it is a championship-caliber ballclub and/or has a transcendent superstar. The Hawks don't fit either category, which won't get the transplants (who are still attached to their hometown teams) much less the locals (who know the difference between a phony and the real McCoy because they have had so much practice from watching the Braves fold like a cheap card table in the postseason; just ask Chipper Jones how it feels to play in front of 15,000 empty seats in Octobers past). Therefore, folks are staying home (at least until the Lakers, Heat, or Celtics come to town) until the Hawks prove otherwise.

Getting off to a good start against a bunch of jabronies who will likely be watching the playoffs with you and me isn't going to impress no one in this town except the folks on this board and other Hawk fans. The others, who the Notorious A.S.G. are trying to get to the building, know better and are in complete 'show me and prove me wrong' mode in regards to them. They can win 55 games this year and they'll still have a hard time getting the place filled when Kobe, KG and the gang, or Team Voltron isn't in town.

If/When they get to the conference finals and/or acquire a guy like Carmelo Anthony or CP3, then a person can start complaining about the empty seats in the stands. Until then, it is what it is. Understand, this isn't some one-horse town like San Antonio, OKC, Portland, Sacramento, or Salt Lake where all their respective teams have to do is be decent and the stands are filled. There are tons of other sporting attractions within a stone's throw away here. That's something one must consider, especially when the team doesn't have championship banners hanging up in the rafters.

Edited by Dejay
  • Like 3

That's why ownership needed to do everything possible to bring Shaq to Atlanta.

You overpay that dude, make him an integral part of your marketing plan, and play him 15 - 25 minutes a night. If you had to trade Marvin Williams to get him, then that's what you do.

At least during this time, attendance would've been high, just off of the curiousity people would've with seeing Shaq playing in a Hawks uniform.

But I forgot . . Sund "likes our CORE" and believes that we are "elite", simply by making it to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Truth be told, we could've brought in both Shaq AND Iverson. Even an old and injured Shaq is better than any reserve big man on our roster. And it's not like Teague is doing jack, so let Iverson run the backup PG for 15 - 20 minutes.

At least then . . you'll have marketable faces to sell to Metro Atlanta.

That's why ownership needed to do everything possible to bring Shaq to Atlanta.

You overpay that dude, make him an integral part of your marketing plan, and play him 15 - 25 minutes a night. If you had to trade Marvin Williams to get him, then that's what you do.

At least during this time, attendance would've been high, just off of the curiousity people would've with seeing Shaq playing in a Hawks uniform.

But I forgot . . Sund "likes our CORE" and believes that we are "elite", simply by making it to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Truth be told, we could've brought in both Shaq AND Iverson. Even an old and injured Shaq is better than any reserve big man on our roster. And it's not like Teague is doing jack, so let Iverson run the backup PG for 15 - 20 minutes.

At least then . . you'll have marketable faces to sell to Metro Atlanta.

My God, why don't we just sign the bearded lady to play center if that's what it's come to.