• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Some Things Never Change

JackB1

JJ still thinks he's "the man" at the end of the game and refuses to look for other open teammates for the last shot.

On that last drive, JJ drew THREE Pheonix players to him and still tried to force up the shot. Joe has to

learn to trust one of the other 4 guys on the court. Anyone on this team can knock down an open shot. Horford had

the hot hand last night and I dont remember him missing one open jumper. Why not pass it to him?

JJ is not good at forcing up a shot. Never has been...never will be. He doesn't realize this, just like Josh

doesn't realize he's not a point guard at times.

• Premium Member

JJ still thinks he's "the man" at the end of the game and refuses to look for other open teammates for the last shot.

On that last drive, JJ drew THREE Pheonix players to him and still tried to force up the shot. Joe has to

learn to trust one of the other 4 guys on the court. Anyone on this team can knock down an open shot. Horford had

the hot hand last night and I dont remember him missing one open jumper. Why not pass it to him?

JJ is not good at forcing up a shot. Never has been...never will be. He doesn't realize this, just like Josh

doesn't realize he's not a point guard at times.

To be fair, Horf did bobble the rebound out of bounds.

I have to agree, part of drawing so many defenders to you is that you also create easier rebound opportunities for your teammates if you miss. Joe shot it early enough in the clock to allow that and a putback is a much higher percentage shot than making a risky pass to another shooter on the perimeter who's defender can still recover.

• Moderators

I have to agree, part of drawing so many defenders to you is that you also create easier rebound opportunities for your teammates if you miss. Joe shot it early enough in the clock to allow that and a putback is a much higher percentage shot than making a risky pass to another shooter on the perimeter who's defender can still recover.

A pass to Horford alone under the basket would have looked nice being flushed, though!

J.J. on the missed drive with the Hawks down 114-112: “I think I had more guys guarding me than I expected. When I went up, three other guys went up with me and I really couldn’t see the rim. It was unfortunate, man. If i had to do it all over again, I’d probably do that play a little differently.”

To be fair they didn't go ISO Joe as much as they normally do in the 4th. We are talking about one play instead of several.

This game was really lost in the first half when they couldn't make a 3 and played with little energy, turning the ball over 10 times in the half.

Joe is the best player on the team, and you generally want you best player to take the last shot, unless....UNLESS someone is wide open.....We could of pass the ball a little bitter instead of Joe doing his ISO thing, but it was an interesting second half. We will learn about this team tonight...IF we get blown out by Orlando then not much has changed. These guys are athletes, and I know our schedule has been brutal with all the traveling and all, but the Hawks need to give 100% and unfortunately we still take quarters off. If that happens against Orlando then we will most certainly lose by 15 to 20 pts.

• Premium Member

To be fair they didn't go ISO Joe as much as they normally do in the 4th. We are talking about one play instead of several.

This game was really lost in the first half when they couldn't make a 3 and played with little energy, turning the ball over 10 times in the half.

Exactly. They were pretty flat in the first half and early in the 3rd quarter. They got things rolling in the 3rd quarter mostly due to JJ's 15 points in the quarter. It's funny that some posters would key in on that one play by JJ when he was the reason the Hawks were in the game in the first place. I actually thought the team played quite well despite the early shooting woes. They stuck to the offense instead of just giving up and it almost led to them getting a come from behind win.

A pass to Horford alone under the basket would have looked nice being flushed, though!

I've seen that replay a dozen times, Horf had most of his back to Joe because he had rebound position while Josh was working baseline, they weren't open until Joe's shot went up when both their guys came off to contest his shot. You may think that passing through 4 defenders while already in the air is a good percentage play but I do not. On the perimeter, Chills was on the opposite side "baiting" a pass to Bibby by cheating off a little but that's a steal or tip 100% of the time due to the angle, Jamal got away from Hill for a split second in the corner but JJ had already committed and now that passing angle was now poor. All in all, Horf had a gimme rebound and putback which is probably why he bumbled the ball because he was thinking basket before he secured the rock.

• Moderators

I've seen that replay a dozen times, Horf had most of his back to Joe because he had rebound position while Josh was working baseline, they weren't open until Joe's shot went up when both their guys came off to contest his shot. You may think that passing through 4 defenders while already in the air is a good percentage play but I do not. On the perimeter, Chills was on the opposite side "baiting" a pass to Bibby by cheating off a little but that's a steal or tip 100% of the time due to the angle, Jamal got away from Hill for a split second in the corner but JJ had already committed and now that passing angle was now poor. All in all, Horf had a gimme rebound and putback which is probably why he bumbled the ball because he was thinking basket before he secured the rock.

Are you saying that JJ's regret at taking that shot is the wrong move? Seriously, with Josh and Horford on either side of the basket and three defenders rushing at JJ, I hope we can get a better shot in the future or just grab the rebound and finish it.

JJ knows that was a bad shot but it was not why we lost the game. The first half was the difference-maker.

Are you saying that JJ's regret at taking that shot is the wrong move? Seriously, with Josh and Horford on either side of the basket and three defenders rushing at JJ, I hope we can get a better shot in the future or just grab the rebound and finish it.

JJ knows that was a bad shot but it was not why we lost the game. The first half was the difference-maker.

All I'm saying is that on that particular play the defense rushed Joe from all angles when he was already in his shooting motion. He had his usual two hangerons but when he got up there for the shot two more flashed in front of him. It's a split second reaction, do you bail out and make a difficult pass that may not be there or do you continue with the already difficult shot you've decided to take? I don't blame him in that instance, the Phoenix defense actually made a play at the exact right moment so you tip your hat to them. As a player JJ is going to regret every moment he could of made a different or better play, it's part of the game. I, like others in this thread are just saying that we don't blame JJ for losing the game.

• Moderators

All I'm saying is that on that particular play the defense rushed Joe from all angles when he was already in his shooting motion. He had his usual two hangerons but when he got up there for the shot two more flashed in front of him. It's a split second reaction, do you bail out and make a difficult pass that may not be there or do you continue with the already difficult shot you've decided to take? I don't blame him in that instance, the Phoenix defense actually made a play at the exact right moment so you tip your hat to them. As a player JJ is going to regret every moment he could of made a different or better play, it's part of the game. I, like others in this thread are just saying that we don't blame JJ for losing the game.

Obviously from my last comment, I don't blame JJ either. I do hope the 3-on-1 shots in the end-game are largely a thing of the past this season, though.

That was a difficult carom for Horf. The ball didnt bounce true and came off at a weird angle. Those are the toughest to handle -- your depth perception plays tricks on you because you are expecting the ball to come off the rim a certain way and then all of a sudden it's right on you.