• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Judgement time for Jamal Crawford till the trade deadline

JTB

We are close to half of the season and we still look like just a top 4 east team and Jamal Crawford isnt signed to an extension at this point. I like Jamal but I feel we can do without him especially if he can bring us a postion of need at either pg or C. With that said with this new offense the hawks are running Jamal isnt as special to this team as he was a year ago because last year he was used in iso offense much like JJ but with this new offense with everybody being involved he isnt as much as a asset as he was a year ago. We have way better all around scoring this year than we ever have.

The ASG is cheap not stupid:

Unless Rick Sund and the ASG are stupid and want to lose a player like jamal for nothing they are either going to trade him or extend him by the trade deadline. Now quite frankly i dont see the hawks by any means giving this man a extended contract by the trade deadline and if they dont either extend or trade him by the dealine its a huge *ss chance we lose him for nothing like the cavs lost lbj or how toronto loss bosh.

Judgement time for Jamal:

With all that said im at the point that the hawks are going to really be watching jamal over this next month and see how important he really is for this team. I have to be honest and say again i like jamal but i feel he is a ticket to get a key player at pg or C. This offense is ok without jamal to me and should remain as a good offense with or without him.

To the readers of this post:

My whole point is that AGAIN something will happen with Jamal by the trade deadline.....Extension or Trade. Jamal plays good in the month of January up to the deadline look for us to extend him however if he plays mediocre look for a trade. Hell you may not even hear about the trade! You know how private the ASG is but believe me the ASG does not want to lose Jamal for nothing and i dont see him getting extended so im really expecting a trade that we just wont know of till that day comes, only because the ASG is a very private ownership.

Edited by JTB

Toronto and Cleveland took 2nd rounders and trade exceptions - I.e. they could sign someone of 14.5 million in value over the cap

We don't need cap room. We need talent, especially at Center.

so are you saying we can get a trade exemption for jamal? if so how?

You can't, you cannot trade TPE to other teams unless it's a sign and trade deal.

so are you saying we can get a trade exemption for jamal? if so how?

Yes, however we would have to trade him to a team far enough under the cap to absorb his salary this offseason.

But that is unlikely considering most teams with that much cap space are either bad teams or are in total rebuild mode and I don't see Jamal being attractive to those teams in either scenario.

Edited by gsuteke

how about Crawford to New Orleans for Okafor?

It's a heavy salary commitment for us since he's signed through 2014 for major money, but we get our big man

And for NO - getting Okafor's contract off the books, could potentially make them free agent players this upcoming summer

That is an idea to be considered - btw welcome to HS

It's a heavy salary commitment for us since he's signed through 2014 for major money, but we get our big man

And for NO - getting Okafor's contract off the books, could potentially make them free agent players this upcoming summer

I think "Oak" would fit in well here. I wonder how we would cut salary for next year to accommodate his salary should we make the deal and Horford's deal kicks in. If our ownership could handle one year of luxury tax...Bibby comes off the books.

W

• Premium Member

Can't we just resign without Extending?

Why would NO do that?

Oka is 10, 10, and 2bpg... What would make them trade him? They already know that all their other Cs and PFs suck and they are not in rebuilding mode?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Can't we just resign without Extending?

Once his contract has expired, yes.

Why would NO do that?

Oka is 10, 10, and 2bpg... What would make them trade him? They already know that all their other Cs and PFs suck and they are not in rebuilding mode?

Agreed.

I think "Oak" would fit in well here. I wonder how we would cut salary for next year to accommodate his salary should we make the deal and Horford's deal kicks in. If our ownership could handle one year of luxury tax...Bibby comes off the books.

W

How about packaging Marvin in the NO deal with us receiving a smaller/expiring contract of a player that could help us in the playoffs?

I can't think of who else we would want from NO (aside from Paul) though... :question:

The point is they didn't get 0 in return. They can spend upo to the cap then use the tpe to go over it.

Thats not true. Traded player exceptions count against the cap so you need to renounce them if you want to use caproom. Just as an example Denver wouldn't care about a TPE because they would be below the cap and would just renounce it since caproom is more valuable.

Edited by spotatl

I like the idea of Jamal for okafor.....again Im at the point that if Jamal doesnt prove he really helps this team than he out of here for SOMEBODY. ATo be honest something tells me that the hawks dont want to extend him wheather he does good in january till the trade deadline or not and if thats the case we MUST get rid of him in a trade. Nothing more would make me mad if the hawks let Jamal hit free agency this summer, I just feel thats completely stupid!

crawford, marvin, zaza, draft pick to NO for ariza and okafor.......

we get our center and an effective defensive swingman who could be a problem off the bench next to JC2 and Powell.

In all honesty I don't think Ariza is all that much better (if at all) than Marvin is...after the Lakers he hasn't been anything to write home about to me. and if we did that who would start? Josh at 3? Cuz I'm Still not sold on his perimeter Defense....

Edited by Mdizzle5