• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

No respect for the Hawks

macdaddy

Uhhh... might want to check your facts there.... But one out of 3 isn't bad.

@Diesel,

Could not have said it better myself.

@Spotal,

But what has the team that you are referring to done that the Atlanta Hawks hasn't? Neither has made it to the finals recently? The Bulls are being called elite already and we arent even halfway through the season. What Diesel is saying is truth and its logical. Why would the media respect you if you own city doesn't. The Bucks have 15 wins and I bet you if they go on a 5 game winning streak the media would be all over them, talking about how good they are, same with Utah, same with Portland, same with NY.

Edited by CODHAWKSFAN

Denver made it to the conference finals 2 seasons ago... how does that not count as "recently"?

As far as media attention goes- media just likes the story. And superstars make it easy to write a story. THe Hawks have no superstar and its far more likely that they lose in the first round than they make the conference finals. Why should they get any national attention? Even Hawks fans understand its more likely that they lose in the first round than they make the conference finals.

Edited by spotatl

Not only have the Hawks not won a 2nd round playoff game since the 90s, they haven't even come close. They have been blown out in every second round game. Last year their collapse was of historic proportions and they haven't made any significant upgrades to the roster. .

That is why they don't get any respect.

Bottom line when your fanbase steps up and recognizes your team, the media will too....That's why we should have taken Shaq. Not because he's going to stop Howard. But because with him, fans would come out and we'd be the center of attention.

Not signing Shaq was a colossal mistake. To follow up, the strongest leader of this team, doesn't have a contract next season. Without Jamal we are closer to the 8th seed than the 4th seed.

• Premium Member

Denver made it to the conference finals 2 seasons ago... how does that not count as "recently"?

As far as media attention goes- media just likes the story. And superstars make it easy to write a story. THe Hawks have no superstar and its far more likely that they lose in the first round than they make the conference finals. Why should they get any national attention? Even Hawks fans understand its more likely that they lose in the first round than they make the conference finals.

It's not about who makes it easier to write, it's about who is going to buy the story.

Trust me, if Atlanta had more than one newspaper and Hawks fans were loud and obnoxious and abundant, it wouldn't matter if we had a superstar or not... the media would stand up and take note. We have a team that some media types want to like but they can't. Do you know how many of these national writers are undercover Hawks fans? The thing is that it's not going to work. If they wrote a lovely story on the Hawks, it wouldn't fly because who is going to buy it?

Top 10 Most Popular Team Merchandise (4-2010).

Rank Team

1. Lakers

2. Celtics

3. Cavs

4. Bulls

5. Knicks

6. Nuggets

7. Magic

8. Heat

9. Spurs

10. Suns

You wonder why the media flock to the Bulls and Knicks? This is based on last year. I'm using merchandise as a means to talk about national attention. The media focuses on the fans. Who is going to buy it?

• Moderators

It's not about who makes it easier to write, it's about who is going to buy the story.

Trust me, if Atlanta had more than one newspaper and Hawks fans were loud and obnoxious and abundant, it wouldn't matter if we had a superstar or not... the media would stand up and take note. We have a team that some media types want to like but they can't. Do you know how many of these national writers are undercover Hawks fans? The thing is that it's not going to work. If they wrote a lovely story on the Hawks, it wouldn't fly because who is going to buy it?

Top 10 Most Popular Team Merchandise (4-2010).

Rank Team

1. Lakers

2. Celtics

3. Cavs

4. Bulls

5. Knicks

6. Nuggets

7. Magic

8. Heat

9. Spurs

10. Suns

You wonder why the media flock to the Bulls and Knicks? This is based on last year. I'm using merchandise as a means to talk about national attention. The media focuses on the fans. Who is going to buy it?

I have to agree with this. Its a chicken and egg kind of thing though. I know writers want to sell papers (or ads) but if you're running down a list of 'contending' teams I don't see where including Atlanta is going to hurt you. I didn't expect to see Atlanta in there I just expected Lakers, Heat, Celtics, spurs...maybe Magic.

The truth is there every team in the NBA with a winning percentage over .600 was mentioned except the Hawks. And we're at .650

• Premium Member

off topic:

how empty will the arena be on Saturday night since the Falcons game is practically the same time?

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Soon as an Atl team prove they can handle expectations then it is best to fly under the radar and be disrespected. You put expectations on an Atl sports team they crumble under that pressure.

Using another NFL analogy...once the "Cardiac Cards" left St. Louis I figured I was a free agent fan and one of my fave's were the New England Patriots. They were fairly good and played exciting football (I was up there for work)...but they got little respect compared to the Steelers or the Bills or the Raiders. They made the playoffs but weren't really factors....even got to the superbowl once only to be defeated in epic fashion.

Now they have tons of respect - cause they are superbowl winners.

Hopefully the Hawks can do someting similar in the next few years...

When the Hawks took Boston to 7 in 08' they definitely started getting national media attention. But it's funny because when they beat the Heat in the first round in 09' they didn't get nearly as much praise. It really depends on who your playing and how nationally known the players are on that team. Obviously if the Hawks beat the Heat now, it would be a much bigger deal because of Lebron, Wade and Bosh. Unfortunately the national media doesn't really care if you have a talented team in a non "major" (Chi, LA, Bos NY) market (unless you have lebron), but hopefully the ATL will keep making the playoffs, forcing the media to pay attention.

When the Hawks took Boston to 7 in 08' they definitely started getting national media attention. But it's funny because when they beat the Heat in the first round in 09' they didn't get nearly as much praise. It really depends on who your playing and how nationally known the players are on that team. Obviously if the Hawks beat the Heat now, it would be a much bigger deal because of Lebron, Wade and Bosh. Unfortunately the national media doesn't really care if you have a talented team in a non "major" (Chi, LA, Bos NY) market (unless you have lebron), but hopefully the ATL will keep making the playoffs, forcing the media to pay attention.

The thing is...the Cleveland Cavaliers had the best record in the entire NBA last year at 61-21.

They lost LeBron and now have the worst record in the league.....Hmmmmm.:kickcan: