No respect for the Hawks

macdaddy

• Moderators

I don't expect the media to mention the Hawks when they are talking about the elite 4 or 5 teams in the league. But hell at least mention us when you are running down to Utah, OKC, Bulls. Last I checked we were right there with those teams if not ahead. Its crazy how little attention this team gets.

This in an article about where Nash could go in a trade assuming he'd only go to a contending team

Unfortunately, the primary fan motivation for seeing Nash moved out of Phoenix — letting him return to the heat of the playoff chase and finish his career on a title contender — seems to clash with the reality of most contenders' situations right now.

The Miami Heat don't seem to have anywhere near the assets you'd assume the Suns would want in exchange for the face of their franchise. The Los Angeles Lakers' vaunted Triangle offense would seem like a poor fit for Nash's ball-dominating style. The Orlando Magic have already made their big moves. The Boston Celtics, San Antonio Spurs and Chicago Bulls are all pretty set at the one, as are the Utah Jazz. And while reuniting Nash with Dirk Nowitzki(notes) would probably make Dallas Mavericks fans swoon, that seems like an unlikely destination.

One interesting landing spot would be the Oklahoma City Thunder, as the excellent Tom Haberstroh noted in a recent ESPN Insider piece — the thought of moving the explosive Russell Westbrook(notes) off the ball, which would allow Nash to orchestrate for Kevin Durant(notes) and wreak havoc with Serge Ibaka(notes), is pretty enticing. But given Sam Presti's stated preference for allowing his young Thunder to grow organically and improve from within, sending a wealth of assets west doesn't seem to fit with the organization's M.O., making it hard to see any clear match among squads with legitimate present and near-future title aspirations.

Whether Nash stays in Phoenix or gets shipped out to new pastures, whether green or not, one thing is certain: Seeing Chris Webber compare Nash to a dude in prison, then chant for him to be freed, was pretty weird.

Its better to fly under the radar anyway

Why? Will they gain confidence under the radar? Will players, fans, investers be more attractive to the Hawks "under the radar"?

Or is it they will have a built in excuse for failure "under the radar".

This ain't the Seahawks in a one game playoff.

You ain't sneaking up on anyone in the NBA !!

• Premium Member

Falcons' fans are saying the same thing. If the Falcons beat the Packers on Sunday, the respect will come. If the Hawks win in the 2nd round., the respect will come.

It's embarrassing how the media is slurping the Packers even though the Falcons already dusted them of this year.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Moderators

Why? Will they gain confidence under the radar? Will players, fans, investers be more attractive to the Hawks "under the radar"?

Right. I don't want to fly under the radar in trade talks. When players want to play for a contender and you aren't in the conversation that's not a good time to be under the radar.

As far as gaining respect in the playoffs, have Chicago, OKC, and Utah faired that much better than us in recent years? Especially Chicago. How do they get mentioned as a contender already. They've been playing well for 1/3 of a season.

It's embarrassing how the media is slurping the Packers even though the Falcons already dusted them of this year.

I've stopped watching any NFL related "sports casts" on ESPN. Actually, I'm pretty much giving up on the All-Gossip network. They've really just turned into a gossip driven show. The worst of the bunch is Dilfer- I don't know what the Falcons did to the guy, but he has some serious hatred for the Falcons.

• Premium Member

I've stopped watching any NFL related "sports casts" on ESPN. Actually, I'm pretty much giving up on the All-Gossip network. They've really just turned into a gossip driven show. The worst of the bunch is Dilfer- I don't know what the Falcons did to the guy, but he has some serious hatred for the Falcons.

Dilfer has been exposed as a clown. I'm just praying the Pats lose to shut up the rest of those ESPN front-running idiots.

• Premium Member

Plus, I like chip on the shoulder syndrome and got snubbed syndrome more than front runner get lazy syndrome. Did I use syndrome enough?

This team has never played with an edge. In fact I think this team actually believes all the negative things media people (Wilbon, Chuck, & C-Webb..etc)says about them.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

This team has never played with an edge. In fact I think this team actually believes all the negative things media people (Wilbon, Chuck, & C-Webb..etc)says about them.

I hear ya, but when josh got snubbed for the all star team last year he played a lot better. So maybe they will take on that approach. It really takes a coach to put some news clippings up in the locker room and motivate them or something. New coach, different motivation maybe, only time will tell.

I thought that game was actually pretty close.

I would like to see the falcons beat the pats. There was a game a couple years ago where we were on the game winning drive and they had a bogus call saying Ryan stepped out of bounds so we were short of the first down. I was so pissed, does anyone remember that?

• Premium Member

You get respect from the playoffs.

They get what they deserve after the performance against the Magic last year.

That's not true.

NY, Utah, Denver, etc has gone no further than us in the playoffs.

The truth is that you get respect after your fanbase gives you respect.

• Like 3

You homers can't handle the truth.

That's not true.

NY, Utah, Denver, etc has gone no further than us in the playoffs.

The truth is that you get respect after your fanbase gives you respect.

It may not be 100% true, but it's pretty close especially in Atlanta's case because they got no superstar.

And Utah has a history of being consistent. They haven't buckled in the playoffs like being on the wrong end of writing the history books.

Denver get the attention now since Carmelo is about to leave.

NY... well... I got no Idea other than that's the destination likely for Carmerlo.

Edited by Playa

• Premium Member

It may not be 100% true, but it's pretty close especially in Atlanta's case because they got no superstar.

And Utah has a history of being consistent. They haven't buckled in the playoffs like being on the wrong end of writing the history books.

Denver get the attention now since Carmelo is about to leave.

NY... well... I got no Idea other than that's the destination likely for Carmerlo.

Bottom line when your fanbase steps up and recognizes your team, the media will too. If the fanbase thinks the team sucks, the media will too. The Lakers had a few sorry years, but their fanbase never did stop supporting and viola, the Lakers have been media darlings. That's what you see with the Knicks. You're talking about the media capital of the world. When NY is winning, the fans are appreciative and the media pays attention. That's also what you see in Chicago. Fans come back out, the media pays attention.

Atlanta has had the superstars. Deke, Nique, SMitty, a Joe. and beause we haven't had the media attention, we think it's because the superstars wasn't super enough. It's not that these guys wasn't super, it's that the fans never bought in. Realize, we started getting national attention after our series with Boston. The reason why is because the media saw a packed house and fans raising the roof. The next year, our nationalize TV games went from 1 the year before to about 17. We have lost that this past playoffs. You could see the empty chairs again. The playoffs in Atlanta was a quiet affair.

You wonder how teams like Utah and Sactown stay relevant tot he media... Fans. The sooner we realize that getting the fans in is what will make the media take note, the better. That's why we should have taken Shaq. Not because he's going to stop Howard. But because with him, fans would come out and we'd be the center of attention.