• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Falcons for next year

DJlaysitup

To be flat honest (at least for me) the Falcons are about as interesting as NASCAR...watch the kickoff and take a nap. Boring.

I have (more than a few times) seen a run - then a completed pass - then another completed pass - then a punt.

Most boring "offense" I have ever seen. :kickcan:

As long as they move the ball and score td's that's fine with me. A few fans on the Falcon board probably say, "they can only get better".What's better? 14-2? 15-1?

I guess all that matters is they make the playoffs, since home field doesn't matter.

I'm hoping Mularkey gets the HC job in Cleveland. I think we need to go against our philosophy and spend some money in the off season. You got players like Ronnie Brown, Haynesworth, Bailey, Asoughma, and Sidney Rice who are going to be free agents. We need more playmakers on both sides of the ball. I think Brown, Rice, Haynesworth, and Bailey/Asoughma would really improve our team for at least the next 3 years. Hopefully we can get our hands in Torrey Smith with our first round pick and get either a rush end or offensive lineman.

I was wrong about Haynesworth and after checking RBs I think we should pick up DeAngelo Williams. There is quite a few receivers who might hit the market and I just saw that Mathias Kiwanuka might as well. If we lose Nicholas we could take a shot at Greenway. Basically we should really open the checkbook this off season because there are players at every position of need for us.

You couldn't pay me to want Haynesworth on the Falcons and I'm sure Blank feels the same way.

I'd like to see us get another dependable WR to go with Roddy and also improve our secondary. Snagging Nnamdi Asomugha would be pretty huge, but I'd imagine he's going to command a ton of money that we won't want to spend.

I wouldn't bother with Ronnie Brown, too injury prone and we already have a nice complementary back behind Turner in Jason Snelling.

Edited by WakaFlocka

We need a pass rushing DE in the worst way. Abe is getting older and we need someone else to help generate a pass rush without sending the house on blitzes.

They need more explosive guys on O, namely a burner WR that can stretch the field. The Falcons were great at long, clock-eating drives but were one of the least explosive teams in the league. They rarely burst loose for big plays and were ill-equipped to play from behind. Jenks is a serviceable two but he would be a beast as a three.

I know Douglas has the speed to be a gamebreaker in the slot and could maybe step into that explosive role but his skills as a receiver are still raw and it remains to be seen if he will return to the promise he showed in his rookie year after the knee injury.

They also need a 3rd down back to be a threat out of the backfield. Snelling is solid in this role but his style is similar to Turner. I thought Norwood might be that guy but it's time to cut ties with him at this point. Reggie Bush would be ideal but that is probably just wishful thinking.

There will be a lot of questions to answer this offseason -- Grimes and a couple O-linemen are due to be re-upped. Will be interesting to see what happens, but I feel comfortable with TD in charge.

I've been thinking about this issue, particularly since we played against such a dynamic offense from GB. The Falcons have a safe offense that is least likely to commit mistakes. The team as constructed, with a ball-control offense, likely will maximize its win total during the regular season, winning most games by a touchdown or so. The team will never be as dominant as it could be, however, were it to introduce a more dynamic offense. I suspect an element of variance is introduced when you opt for a more dynamic offense. That is, you will sometimes make an extra mistake that will cost you a game you should've won. The upside is that you have a more difficult offense to defense against when you're playing a tough defense.

The conclusion I've come to is that you could ideally have a more dynamic offense that shifts to ball-control mode when it has its opponent overmatched. In other words, if you're dominating Carolina with the run, why risk it by opening up? The inability to do this cost GB some regular season games, but GB's dynamic offense makes it more likely to beat a top opponent. Against tougher opponents, you can play your primary game-plan and keep them guessing. I believe we have most of the tools to play this sort of offense, but I think we need another receiver to maximize it. Jenkins is not a #2 receiver. He's sort of redundant with Finneran, really. I would prefer that we got another burner and played more 4 receiver sets next season. Ryan is smart enough and accurate enough to play in such a scheme, and it would keep our drives from stalling out as frequently. We would likely turn the ball over a touch more, but that is the trade-off, and I think it is worth it to make us more of a championship contender.

Major question i have is whether Mularkey can coordinate such a scheme...

I think the problems for this team are in the defensive line. In fact, the offensive style is there to mask the problems on defense. The central problem as noted by others is that the Falcons can't generate a pass rush. The REs on the team should be situational rushers, not starters. Biermann is a good situational guy, but he gets worn down by starting. Plus, he's a beast on ST.

We need to figure out how to get a pass rusher on the line in the worst way.

If the defense is better, then you can start to take chances on offense. Look at the teams that go downfield a lot: Steelers, Ravens, Green Bay, they all have really good defensives that can hold their water when the offense doesn't control the ball for most of the game.

That said, the team also needs some tweaks on the offense. As others have pointed out, a game changer at WR. I would add that McClure should have played his last game a as a Falcon. The guy tips the snap count and rarely gets the push needed on run plays. At best, he occupies or helps chip DL and LBs. In pass protection he's good, but not great.

I love the offense. We just need a couple of guys to get some YAC (yads after catch since this isn't a football forum). Douglas and Norwood were supposed to be those guys but neither delivered.

I'd love to draft a WR like Cobb and a scat back like Noel Devine. Darren Sproles would be a nice FA too. DeAngelo Williams isn't coming here to play behind Turner but Sproles is perfect for that role.

I want the main free agent piece to be on defense, hopefulle DE. Kiwanaky, Charles Johnson, or Edwards would be perfect to complimet Abraham. Then Beer-Man can go back to being more of a solid rotational DE. The Faclons have to get more pressure on the QB.

I like the idea of an outside stadium. I don't think there has been a great defensive team that has a dome as there stadium.

Other than that, I would say shore up the passing defense. In this day and age, offense have geared toward passing game so it's a must to have a great pass rushing front. Have a great defense (passing) and Matt Ryan means better playoff chances than Matt Ryan with great offensive weapons and so so defense.

• Moderators

I love the offense. We just need a couple of guys to get some YAC (yads after catch since this isn't a football forum). Douglas and Norwood were supposed to be those guys but neither delivered.

I'd love to draft a WR like Cobb and a scat back like Noel Devine. Darren Sproles would be a nice FA too. DeAngelo Williams isn't coming here to play behind Turner but Sproles is perfect for that role.

I want the main free agent piece to be on defense, hopefulle DE. Kiwanaky, Charles Johnson, or Edwards would be perfect to complimet Abraham. Then Beer-Man can go back to being more of a solid rotational DE. The Faclons have to get more pressure on the QB.

I thought I replied to this topic, but Cobb is very exciting. That would be an intriguing pick. Like you, my top priority is defensive line.

I thought I replied to this topic, but Cobb is very exciting. That would be an intriguing pick. Like you, my top priority is defensive line.

The only way to beat elite QBs is to have elite pass rushers. We only have one and that is just not enough to get it done. I'm confident Blank will write a check to get a veteran free agent in here to fill that void. Pick #27 is too low to expect an immediate impact at DE. I'm pleased with the play of Peters at DT. He has turned out to be steal in the 3rd round. I hope they keep the UK trend going.

We need better CB depth too. An upgrade at nickle and dime back should be a priority but not the 1st priority. Chris Owens just stinks and Brian Williams is aging and injury prone.

Ya.......Cobb seems ideal to play the Wes Welker / slot WR role that this offense is missing......not to mention Mularkey could pull out all the trick plays he used to run with Randal El and Kordel Stewart throwing passes from the WR position from his time as offensive coordinator with the Steelers. Cobb has a pretty darn good arm for that.

I was really hoping Douglas would be the answer in the slot but he just drops so many balls. He really has trouble holding on to the ball when there is any contact at all and he is still missing his burst since knee surgery. Cobb would be a good fix there. He should be there in the 2nd round (around pick 60) but we pick too low in the 3rd round to expect him to still be there at around pick 100.

I'm hoping for a speed back like Noel Devine or Derrick Locke (another 1 of your UK boys) that can be picked up in the later rounds. Of course a bigger back could be taken earlier to be the eventual replacement to Turner. Snelling is solid but is a free agent. You need a stable of backs in this current NFL......especially if they go to an 18 game season.

I love the NFL off season ! So much more action due to more players and more positions.

Edited by coachx

The only way to beat elite QBs is to have elite pass rushers. We only have one and that is just not enough to get it done. I'm confident Blank will write a check to get a veteran free agent in here to fill that void. Pick #27 is too low to expect an immediate impact at DE. I'm pleased with the play of Peters at DT. He has turned out to be steal in the 3rd round. I hope they keep the UK trend going.

We need better CB depth too. An upgrade at nickle and dime back should be a priority but not the 1st priority. Chris Owens just stinks and Brian Williams is aging and injury prone.

Ya.......Cobb seems ideal to play the Wes Welker / slot WR role that this offense is missing......not to mention Mularkey could pull out all the trick plays he used to run with Randal El and Kordel Stewart throwing passes from the WR position from his time as offensive coordinator with the Steelers. Cobb has a pretty darn good arm for that.

I was really hoping Douglas would be the answer in the slot but he just drops so many balls. He really has trouble holding on to the ball when there is any contact at all and he is still missing his burst since knee surgery. Cobb would be a good fix there. He should be there in the 2nd round (around pick 60) but we pick too low in the 3rd round to expect him to still be there at around pick 100.

I'm hoping for a speed back like Noel Devine or Derrick Locke (another 1 of your UK boys) that can be picked up in the later rounds. Of course a bigger back could be taken earlier to be the eventual replacement to Turner. Snelling is solid but is a free agent. You need a stable of backs in this current NFL......especially if they go to an 18 game season.

I love the NFL off season ! So much more action due to more players and more positions.

Yes, there are a handful of valuable DE's in free agency this year that the Falcons really need to pick up. I like Bierrman, but strickly as a rotational guy. Energy seems to be his strong point and if he comes in and plays back to back plays he's going to lose his edge. I think we need to take a chance on one of the top CB's available. I like the idea of picking up Champ Bailey, simply for the fact that if he doesn't work out at CB we could rotate him around to safety. I didn't watch any UK football, so I don't know much about Cobb. Is he a speedster ? or just an elusive player like Welker ? I really think we need a true deep threat, which is why I like Mel Kiper's pick for the Falcons. I didn't watch any UM football either, but Torrey Smith seems like he'll fit a very important need for this team as well. However, I still think we could use both. Torrey Smith as our 2nd WR, and Cobb as our 3rd. That would shift Michael Jenkins to our 4th receiver and give him more favorable matchups with lesser DBs. Noel Devine would be great depending on how good he'll be in pass protection. We need a speedyback that can take a handoff and get to the sideline, catch a screen and break it big, and be able to block nicklebacks and linebackers. We definitely need to resign Snelling, and let Norwood go. Snelling seems like a great second option for the next 2 or 3 years. He's a good power runner who, in my opinion, runs harder than Turner. He's just not as fast or as solid as Turner. However, he's much more versatile which I think is very important. He can catch the ball coming out of the backfield and he's not a liability in pass protection.

• Moderators

This would seem to be a good karmic pick from CNNSI's mock draft today:

27 DE Cameron Heyward Ohio State Sr. 6-5 288

The son of former Falcons running back Craig "Ironhead'' Heyward would upgrade an Atlanta defensive line that can't rely forever on John Abraham for all its pass rush. Heyward's standout game in the Sugar Bowl against Arkansas had to put him in Atlanta's line of vision, and the Georgia native can play both inside and outside in a 4-3 defensive formation.

This would seem to be a good karmic pick from CNNSI's mock draft today:

27 DE Cameron Heyward Ohio State Sr. 6-5 288

The son of former Falcons running back Craig "Ironhead'' Heyward would upgrade an Atlanta defensive line that can't rely forever on John Abraham for all its pass rush. Heyward's standout game in the Sugar Bowl against Arkansas had to put him in Atlanta's line of vision, and the Georgia native can play both inside and outside in a 4-3 defensive formation.

Chuck Oliver (680) has a man crush on that monster too. If he falls to #27 the Falcons would be estatic. That is Chuck Oliver's dream pick for the Falcons. I doubt he last that long since DEs are normally drafted quicker then any other position but LT. Unlike many DE prospects, Heyward has the size to play DE for 3-4 teams too....those "scheme diverse "guys could be taken any where.

Edited by coachx

Yes, there are a handful of valuable DE's in free agency this year that the Falcons really need to pick up. I like Bierrman, but strickly as a rotational guy. Energy seems to be his strong point and if he comes in and plays back to back plays he's going to lose his edge. I think we need to take a chance on one of the top CB's available. I like the idea of picking up Champ Bailey, simply for the fact that if he doesn't work out at CB we could rotate him around to safety. I didn't watch any UK football, so I don't know much about Cobb. Is he a speedster ? or just an elusive player like Welker ? I really think we need a true deep threat, which is why I like Mel Kiper's pick for the Falcons. I didn't watch any UM football either, but Torrey Smith seems like he'll fit a very important need for this team as well. However, I still think we could use both. Torrey Smith as our 2nd WR, and Cobb as our 3rd. That would shift Michael Jenkins to our 4th receiver and give him more favorable matchups with lesser DBs. Noel Devine would be great depending on how good he'll be in pass protection. We need a speedyback that can take a handoff and get to the sideline, catch a screen and break it big, and be able to block nicklebacks and linebackers. We definitely need to resign Snelling, and let Norwood go. Snelling seems like a great second option for the next 2 or 3 years. He's a good power runner who, in my opinion, runs harder than Turner. He's just not as fast or as solid as Turner. However, he's much more versatile which I think is very important. He can catch the ball coming out of the backfield and he's not a liability in pass protection.

Maryland's WR is a serious deep threat. My father and law is a Maryland alum so I caught a few of their games. Maryland's QB had a noodle arm who could not really use Smith to his full potential. A solid QB may be able to get much more out of him. He is definately a high upside pick. Al Davis will probably pick him before us ......he alwayse takes the speed burners early. If Smith does fall to the Falcons, and we take him, that will be a HUGE sign to the rest of the league that the Falcons will be targeting free agent DEs and possibly CBs too.

I honestly like Cobb even more since he could be had in the 2nd round. Cobb is not as fast but he is just an excellent all around football player. He has played QB, RB, WR, and KR fo UK. His NFL position is definately WR. He is very quick and elusive and his production is off the charts vs. SEC competition. He is like a bigger Wes Welker that can break tackles. He is an ideal slot WR for Matt Ryan. He has that Hines Ward toughness to him. His college career reminds me alot of Hines Ward's.

As far as Cobb in the NFL......think Randle El in his prime Steelers days with Mike Murlarkey as Off Coordinator. Randle El played QB in college so the Steelers ran all kinds of trick plays where he threw th ball from the WR position. Murlarkey would love a toy like him. To me he is a combo of Welker, Ward, and Randel El. I think he will have a highly productive career if he is blessed with the chance to play with a good QB.

I love the idea of Champ as a FA. It would be great if Blank gives the fund to Dimitroff for him to add 2 solid FAs. Champ at CB + Edwards or Johnson at DE would make our defense down right stout. Champ would definately come here if we showed interest. Charles Johnson is a Georgia boy too.

Edited by coachx