• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Road Warriors

benhillboy

As much as I hate ESPN's coverage, or lack thereof of the Hawks, they are always good at pulling up nice numbers on us during televised games. Did not know we have the most road wins at this point in team history. That's pretty big. It's kinda wierd that we had this type of success at home last year, but whatever. As long as it equals to around 55 wins overall, I'm good because this team is establishing it's road consistency for the playoffs. I know some here think Al is a little to considerably overrated, but I have always been of the opinion that we'd still be in the lottery without him instead of setting historical marks for winning for this franchises' stay in Atlanta. Attention to detail on the defensive end and securing a viable scoring sixth man starting with Flipper also helped change culture (is he still alive?)

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

As much as I hate ESPN's coverage, or lack thereof of the Hawks, they are always good at pulling up nice numbers on us during televised games. Did not know we have the most road wins at this point in team history. That's pretty big. It's kinda wierd that we had this type of success at home last year, but whatever. As long as it equals to around 55 wins overall, I'm good because this team is establishing it's road consistency for the playoffs. I know some here think Al is a little to considerably overrated, but I have always been of the opinion that we'd still be in the lottery without him instead of setting historical marks for winning for this franchises' stay in Atlanta. Attention to detail on the defensive end and securing a viable scoring sixth man starting with Flipper also helped change culture (is he still alive?)

It's really bizarre to me to see our team playing bad at home. This after not changing personnel much over the last few seasons, and going from a mediocre road team to a good one. We're not nearly the same team at home as we have been the last few years.

In 08/09, we won 75% at home, and 39% on the road.

In 09/10, we won 83% at home, and 46% on the road. Mind-boggling, that 83%.

In 10/11, we win 65% at home, and 58% on the road.

A lot of GM's (including Sund), believe one of the key marks for elite NBA teams is topping 20 road victories - basically achieving 50% or greater. We already have 19 road wins this year, 2nd in the conference. If we had not fallen apart at home, we could truly be considered elite.

Why are we not getting it done at HOME?!?

Edited by txsting

• Admin

Every year is different. We may not have changed players but we changed coaches who has a different phiosophy.

We were terrible in the playoffs last year...the Bucks almost beat us without Bogut and we were destroyed by the Magic. We are a different team this year even though the roster is simular.

I don't mean to knock on the fine people of Atlanta, but don't you think some of this road success/struggles at home can be attributed to the below-average crowds at Phillips? These guys are competitors, and when they go into an arena that is fairly packed, it just might bring out the best in them. It is probably very discouraging to the players when they come back home and see that their games are sparsely attended, even though they have made the playoffs the past 3 seasons.

• Like 3

I don't mean to knock on the fine people of Atlanta, but don't you think some of this road success/struggles at home can be attributed to the below-average crowds at Phillips? These guys are competitors, and when they go into an arena that is fairly packed, it just might bring out the best in them. It is probably very discouraging to the players when they come back home and see that their games are sparsely attended, even though they have made the playoffs the past 3 seasons.

Yeah, they're human. They played as well as you can expect over the past few playoff years for a team that has down right atrocious fan support. I can sympathize with them if it's starting to really weigh on them. They ask for support, but I credit the guys for not complaining. They are bigger men than me. Josh would be warranted in calling out his home city.

Edited by benhillboy

I predicted the road success would go up and it's 100% because of the ball movement offense we have. That's the reason why we have stunk on the road and have played like world beaters at home, taking the Celtics to 7 games the year we had no business doing so.

At home, this team would play uptempo offense pushing the ball up the floor, play passionate defense, and most of all the ball moved. On the road it was hero basketball pretty much 75% of the time. When it wasn't Iso Joe, it's Iso Bibby, Iso Josh Smith, Iso Marvin, etc

With Larry Drew's motion offense it forces the team to move the ball, not just when feeding off the crowd at the Highlight Factory but in any venue because it's not just a coaching emphasis it's the coaching philosophy. It's the actual offense.

With that said, I thought it could increase us to slightly above .500 road team this season, had no idea we would be THIS good on the road to the point where we would be one of the best road teams in the NBA

But then again shouldn't be surprised considering that ball movement emphasis

I was having a hard time even hearing the ESPN announcers (maybe not such a bad thing?) last night, as for me they were just not mic'ed up enough to make their voices be clearly audible over the noise of the crowd in Portland, which was extremely loud once again. Blazers fans are just louder than hell, and they are consistently one of the best crowds in the NBA.

Would love to have something like that type of atmosphere in Phillips on a regular basis, like we were in 2008 vs. the Celtics in the playoffs. I'll never forget how loud Phillips was then, and how electric it all seemed, and that electricity DEFINITELY pumped the team up.

Dude, if you are right about this, that would be great. The playoffs will cure that ill. We have had very good home crowd energy for our recent playoff games.

If we get going at home, we can be a real contender. This is probably one of the best chances we will have! Miami is still gelling, doesn't win close games late. Orlando has slipped a bit. Chicago has not paid their dues. Boston is solid, but replacing Perkins with a wing defender was a move aimed at Miami, not us. That, and better PG defense, certainly improves our chances against Boston. Boston is also at constant risk of injury with their collective age.

There is no way we are getting 55 wins this year. We will be lucky to reach 50.

• Moderators

The "Road Warrior Hawks" (19-15) will need just 4 more road victories (of the 7 remaining) to pull past the 1986-87 Hawks (57-25; 22-19 on road) for most road victories in Atlanta-era history. They'll need to go 6-1 on the road to surpass the strike-shortened 1998-99 Hawks (31-19; 15-10 on road) for highest road victory percentage in Atlanta-era history. If either happens, it will be in April.

@ Bulls 3/11

@ Sixers 3/23

@ Cavs 3/27

@ Rockets 4/3

@ Pacers 4/8

@ Wizards 4/9

@ Bobcats 4/13

~lw3