• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJC: Teague's time?

Hawksquawk

• Squawkers

There was a time when there was no question mark on that headline.

By December it had a qualifier.

Eventually the question faded away as the DNPs and cameo appearances piled up for Teague. This happened even though Teague had shown enough promise and production to warrant more opportunities, at least in my view.

And now here we are again. Teague was impressive against the Blazers and now he’s the talk of (true) Hawks fandom, which of course includes my blog people.

One great game doesn’t mean Teague is The Man, especially since there will be tougher match ups. But you’d think this at least means no more DNP-CDs or quick hooks from L.D.. If L.D. wants the Hawks to run and play sound defense, which they must to have any kind of a chance to be better, then don’t Hinrich and Teague have to get all of the minutes at point guard?

No doubt some of L.D.’s concerns about Teague are (were?) legit. Teague doesn’t seem to have much “dog” in him. He doesn’t (didn’t?) always pressure …

View the full article

Another excellent article from MC! I really liked this part ...

“I just have to keep being that little birdie on his shoulder and keep letting him know how good he can be for our team,” L.D. said. “I don’t want him hesitating; I want him being vocal. He was out there [saturday], which was shocking. I saw him clapping and having both fists in the air and that was a welcome sight. “I don’t want him to bow down to any of our other players on our team. Joe is a captain, Josh Smith is a captain and Al is a captain. But [Teague] is the head of that snake at the top of the floor and I want him to know that I have all the confidence in the world in him.”

• Moderators

you’d think this at least means no more DNP-CDs or quick hooks from <strong>L.D.</strong>.

I hope so. Give Teague a limited role that is his floor for every game and play him more if we need him or he stands out but don't play him less than the 10 mpg floor or whatever it is unless he does something willfully bad - like choosing to defy his assignment or slacking off on D, etc. Consistentcy needs to flow from both directions - the coach and the player.

• Like 2

" then don't Hinrich and Teague have to get all of the minutes at point guard?"

This part...no more Jamal at the point..............Please!!!1

Edited by jaybird

• Premium Member

I made a post about this team needing a player who can energize the fan base and how I didn't see anybody in this year's draft that could do that. It turns out I may have overlooked a player already on the roster. I know it was just one game, but it's hard not to get excited. Everything Teague did out there is repeatable. He didn't get 'lucky' or 'hot' from the outside, he just hustled and played great defense. It was funny to hear the 'MVP!' chants while he was at the FT line, but it shows how badly the Hawks faithful want somebody to step up when the team needs it the most and not let them down or disappear. This team looked dead in the water and absolutely NEEDED the Teague that showed up Saturday night. I hope he shows up again Tuesday.

• Like 2

Not necessarily ... he's just as likely to mishandle it and spend the remaining time on the shot clock trying to get control of the ball again!

:laugh: :biggrin: :biggrin: :laugh:

• Premium Member

Not necessarily ... he's just as likely to mishandle it and spend the remaining time on the shot clock trying to get control of the ball again!

Jamal's and JJ's job should be to run off screens and get open for the PG to pass it to them. They should only dribble while making a decisive move to the basket. No more of this calling for the ball just for the sake of 'having' it. No more dribbling out the clock just so you can take the fadeaway jumper that you wanted to take in the first place. Teague/Hinrich should handle the ball on the break and in the halfcourt, plain and simple. It would make everyone's job easier and would cut down on turnovers on the break and those horrible shots that get thrown up due to a wasted shot clock.

• Like 2

Jamal's and JJ's job should be to run off screens and get open for the PG to pass it to them. They should only dribble while making a decisive move to the basket. No more of this calling for the ball just for the sake of 'having' it. No more dribbling out the clock just so you can take the fadeaway jumper that you wanted to take in the first place. Teague/Hinrich should handle the ball on the break and in the halfcourt, plain and simple. It would make everyone's job easier and would cut down on turnovers on the break and those horrible shots that get thrown up due to a wasted shot clock.

Very true!!

that requires the other 3 players to

A. be able to consistently set picks which they cant

B. be able to handle the ball at the top of the key under pressure ..which they cant

it absolutely amazing how everyone thinks they see something that coaches and players cant from at home .

If it was as simple as you say they would do it everytime but yet again this is another case of us overrating our players .

• Moderators

it absolutely amazing how everyone thinks they see something that coaches and players cant from at home .

And yet, Josh continues to run the break like he was Steve Nash instead of one of the league's elite finishers on the back end of an alley-oop.

And yet, Josh continues to run the break like he was Steve Nash instead of one of the league's elite finishers on the back end of an alley-oop.

and I guarantee you that the coaches see that and have seen it for quite some time . The problem is that it probably would cause a much bigger problem trying to fix it considering the mental fragility of the player and our coach doesnt have the juice to withstand the fallout from even trying to correct it and the player knows it .

I hate seeing Jamal dribble unless he's driving and not just doing careless things. I also hate seeing Joe dribble for 10+ seconds at a time in one spot. I wish our ball movement didnt stop as much as it did, but I guess it is what it is at this point.

Edited by Frenzy

I see the Jeff Teague bandwagon is in full effect. He's had one good game, so what? He has to play atleast close to the level he was playing against POR for the rest of the season to convince me he's worth something.

why? Y does Teague have to score 24 pts every night when JJ can score 24, then 8, then 16, then 13, then 21, then 12. Why can everybody else play without the "dog" as we get our asses handed to us while Teague sits on the bench, then we he comes out on fire followed by a poor game he jus doesn't have it. Teague shows me more effort in the few minutes he gets than anyone of our regulars do in their 30+ mins. That alone should warrant more PT. I can't understand why folks feel more secure watching JJ, Craw and Smoove underachieve each night than our least experienced player having a down night. Teague should be allowed to make the same errors they make every night. Missing open shots, turnovers, picking up fouls. It's part of the game. When our best players are struggling they don't deserved to be entitled over a younger yet promising player. They haven't won anything in this league to warrant such immunity

• Like 3

why? Y does Teague have to score 24 pts every night when JJ can score 24, then 8, then 16, then 13, then 21, then 12. Why can everybody else play without the "dog" as we get our asses handed to us while Teague sits on the bench, then we he comes out on fire followed by a poor game he jus doesn't have it. Teague shows me more effort in the few minutes he gets than anyone of our regulars do in their 30+ mins. That alone should warrant more PT. I can't understand why folks feel more secure watching JJ, Craw and Smoove underachieve each night than our least experienced player having a down night. Teague should be allowed to make the same errors they make every night. Missing open shots, turnovers, picking up fouls. It's part of the game. When our best players are struggling they don't deserved to be entitled over a younger yet promising player. They haven't won anything in this league to warrant such immunity

so now Teague is better than JJ ,Crawford ,and Smoove ? As i said before this is exactly why the team is the way it is now .

It will not be Teague time till Ole Lateral Move is moved. When Ole Lateral Move finally has a good game LD will keep him in like he is the savior when he has been given more oppurtunity with this franchise. Hinrich aka Ole lateral move was just given the job and he is a combo guard. I just don't get it. Teague is better defensively also as I have maintained from day 1. Hinrich has not controlled a game since he has been here. He can help in certain instances but not totally controlled. Teague did more and made a bigger impact in 1 game than Hinrich has done in 3 years.