• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe and Kevin

benhillboy

This topic was thrown around years ago. When Kevin first came into the league, I liked his style, for the most part besides being very small, non-defensive, and turnover prone. I would've taken him over Joe all things considered. But then he was oft injured, on an awful team, production dipping and forgotten about for a year or so around the NBA as one of the more talented young scorers. His value wasn't near Joe's, when I at least valued him as an iron man and All-Defense Second Team Type. But now he's having a fine season for a Western Conference Team that is 2 games behind us in the win column (translation: better than us.). Check the numbers, y'all. Kevin plays 4 less minutes, posting almost 4 more points but not near the assister Joe is. Then again he isnt playing alongside 2 players statistically superior to him. Can get you a steal a game, Joe can't. His usage is 2.5 percentage points above Joe, and rebounds it a hair less and turns it over a hair more. Who doesn't shoot better than Joe from three (.393 to .305.). Joe has an 8 point edge in regular shooting percentage, but Martin matches the difference in true shooting because of the threes and, get this, hits over twice as many free throws as Joe attempts a night, minus 55 pounds no less. The 14th most efficient player in the league by Hollinger standards. Joe? Freefalling fast, at 74 today.

Who would y'all rather have right now? When I did Granger, it seemed a majority would take him. You all know who I'm going with, and I could name a dozen other less prominent players for half the money and twice the enthusiasm.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I feel a bit responsible for this post with my Martin comparison today so I will say that to me it is largely 6 of one a half dozen of the other. Their pros and cons balance out to a pretty similar profile. Obviously, NBA coaches have seen something more in JJ (based on his All-Star selections) but I don't think that difference is that large.

• 2 weeks later...

Head to Head:

Joe: 11-19, 42 minutes, 5 TO, 2 for 2 at the line, 25 points

Kevin: 11-19, 44 minutes, 3 TO, 12-13 at the line, 35 points.

Yeah, I'd take Kevin. If Joe had gotten to the line like he did against Boston, we would've won again. Instead, the 185 pound guy is drawing the contact and is the difference between a win and a loss. Kevin at 14th overall in PER, Joe at 77th tied with one of my All-Time Favs, Ray Ray with very similar numbers except for +6% usage in favor of Joe, and of course an almost 10% advantage in true shooting for Ray.

Spurs up next. Manu or Joe?

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Head to Head:

Joe: 11-19, 42 minutes, 5 TO, 2 for 2 at the line, 25 points

Kevin: 11-19, 44 minutes, 3 TO, 12-13 at the line, 35 points.

Head to head:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=johnsjo02&p2=martike02

Joe Johnson v. Kevin Martin

21.1 ppg v. 20.9 ppg

3.7 rpg v. 5.3 rpg

5.6 apg v. 2.3 apg

ts% probably is similar given Joe's superior fg% & 3pfg% and Kevin's superior ft% and fta/gm.

6 of one, a half dozen of the other.

• Premium Member

Head to head:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=johnsjo02&p2=martike02

Joe Johnson v. Kevin Martin

21.1 ppg v. 20.9 ppg

3.7 rpg v. 5.3 rpg

5.6 apg v. 2.3 apg

ts% probably is similar given Joe's superior fg% & 3pfg% and Kevin's superior ft% and fta/gm.

6 of one, a half dozen of the other.

Maybe, but for a team without a true ballhandler, to have Joe putting up 5.6 apg and having led this team in Apg for the last 6 years... is important.