• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Holy Cow

DJlaysitup

Josh Smith went 8 for 15 on fg attempts...5 for 7 on free throws...got 8 (yes EIGHT) assists, one block and one turnover. 21-10-8. Nearly a triple double.

But jump on in H8ters...I'm confident that you-all can figure a way to pin this loss on Smoove's "attitude" or lack of team play. :angry:

:banghead:

He could have great stats but when he takes to many outside jumpers and hangs around the 3pt line night in and night out it screws up our team. Even when he makes jump shots he messes up our matchups.

Josh should have an electric collar that shocks him every time he goes more than 12 ft from the basket during our half court game. He should also be shocked every time he dribbles the ball up the court instead of passing it off to a guard. These are things that aren't shown in stats but kill us as a team.

Edited by swanlee

I asked this question in a Hoopsworld chat earlier today:

JayBird in Atlanta, Ga:

What do you think about Atlanta's Josh Smith on pace to shoot more 3's this year than previous year? By product of Larry Drew's offense or him shooting when he shouldn't?

Anthony Macri:

I like the fact that Josh feels confident shooting the ball and I think he gives them something special with his ability to do so. I do think he occasionally hunts the jump shot a little too much when he should be attacking the painted area, and I actually think he'd find he'd have more open threes if he did attack the paint more regularly, but I would have said that without looking at the pure number of threes he's taken this year as opposed to the past.

Do with it what you will.

• Premium Member

I asked this question in a Hoopsworld chat earlier today:

JayBird in Atlanta, Ga:

What do you think about Atlanta's Josh Smith on pace to shoot more 3's this year than previous year? By product of Larry Drew's offense or him shooting when he shouldn't?

Anthony Macri:

I like the fact that Josh feels confident shooting the ball and I think he gives them something special with his ability to do so. I do think he occasionally hunts the jump shot a little too much when he should be attacking the painted area, and I actually think he'd find he'd have more open threes if he did attack the paint more regularly, but I would have said that without looking at the pure number of threes he's taken this year as opposed to the past.

Do with it what you will.

More open 3s? That makes it sound like teams are rushing to cover him when he shoots 3s right now.

• Moderators

More open 3s? That makes it sound like teams are rushing to cover him when he shoots 3s right now.

Good point. Josh shooting a 3 usually means the defense is getting what it wants from the possession. The day when defenses actually struggle to guard Josh on the perimeter will be a day when Josh is more entitled to shoot 3's because he will at least be stretching the floor for his teammates.

We can all agree that Josh is a very unique talent. We'll be debating for years what would constitute a perfect style and approach for his game. Josh is the poster child for "if he hits, cool, if he misses, Armageddon". The numbers show that he's been pretty good from the perimeter all season, so I won't b*tch much about his shot selection, even though he should realize that coaches still, intelligently, beg him to take from 18 out. At least he isn't pumping, procrastinating, and faking like he's gonna drive to get closer and try to shoot off the dribble, something that would take him another 7 years to get down. I for one feel like if he isn't swatting 3 shots a game, he's not being utilized properly. That's what he is, a shot blocker, probably the most prolific ever when he hangs em up. I know he has the desire to be an all-around All-Star type and works harder than many give him credit for, showing flashes of brilliance posting, passing, etc. But he needs to get it through his thick skull that he'll be twice the defensive player he could dream of being offensively. Just do his best Ben Wallace impression: challenge and rebound. He's god awful and won a championship in that role.

And I must also do my part to bash Al, and I love the guy. He's been looking like a chump lately. He needs to get comfortable with his back to the basket, and fast. It is also the PG's job to demand that he get position down there. I like his approach and confidence in his jump shooting game, but it's starting to look like a crutch for not having a drive or post game. And his leadership is waning a bit. I think the three Captian thing is compromising him in that area, especially when he isn't playing well. He needs to learn to lead verbally when he isn't getting 25 and 12.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

I responded that I didn't think he watches much Hawks games seeing that Josh is WIDE open on most of his 3's already.