• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Vegas' sudden change in Hawks chance to win series

johnnyde

'm not a betting man and appreciate the lesson above and it is very interesting indeed!! I wonder if this has something to do with Hinrich's injury (doubtful) or maybe the injuries to Rose (ankle and walking boot I believe) and/or Boozer (turf toe and missed Sat practice)? I know some people wouldn't want their team to beat a hobbled team or a team missing it's star(s) but I'm not among them, I'd be happy to beat a Bulls team missing Rose and/or Boozer :good:

• Premium Member

They had a -1200 on a second-round NBA series?? Dang. Maybe Chicago hired Woody as an assistant yesterday and we just haven't heard yet.

In all seriousness, I would have laid $10 (though not $100...damn government wage freeze) on the Hawks if I had the chance for a $70 payout. I don't think one needs to be homer to realize that the Bulls aren't THAT much of a lock. Upgraded roster or no, this is a team that had won only 1 playoff series in the past 13 years. These are not guys who have "been there" before. The Hawks haven't either, mind you (no, the last two years don't count), but I certainly would not be overconfident heading into this series if I were Thibodeaux. And I definitely wouldn't put down $1200 if I were a Bulls fan.

• Like 1

They had a -1200 on a second-round NBA series?? Dang. Maybe Chicago hired Woody as an assistant yesterday and we just haven't heard yet.

In all seriousness, I would have laid $10 (though not $100...damn government wage freeze) on the Hawks if I had the chance for a $70 payout. I don't think one needs to be homer to realize that the Bulls aren't THAT much of a lock. Upgraded roster or no, this is a team that had won only 1 playoff series in the past 13 years. These are not guys who have "been there" before. The Hawks haven't either, mind you (no, the last two years don't count), but I certainly would not be overconfident heading into this series if I were Thibodeaux. And I definitely wouldn't put down $1200 if I were a Bulls fan.

Yeah, I got the Hawks at +400 for the Magic series(put down $100). The way they owned the Magic in the regular series and those odds for that payout was just too good.

I was going to stay away from the +700 in the Bulls series with the Hinrich injury, but if he was not injured then those odds at that payout are just wayyyyyy to good for the same reason you mentioned about Da Bulls having not proven anything yet in the playoffs.

As an aside to my original post, it is normal for money lines to move in increments of 10 (i.e. +700 to +710 to +720, etc.) before games (or series) as Vegas balances out the money but to move an increment of 150 is straight crazy or like I said before, Vegas knows something.

Wow, I was not expecting this. I went to bet on the spread for Game 2 and take the Hawks cause they were getting +8.5 points. After you make a bet the "Quick Tips" comes up showing you trends in betting on the game you are betting on so they can entice to you to make more bets.

Lo and behold, 86% of people are taking the Hawks to win STRAIGHT UP!???! Nevermind the point spread....STRAIGHT UP!!! Again, another one of these situations that is almost never heard of when an underdog of 8.5 points is overwhelmingly being chosen to win STRAIGHT UP!!

And it's not like it's from a small sample size. This line has been out for over 24 hours now.

Anyway, thought I'd share. Hawk's getting respect in Vegas.

hawkbet-1.png

• Like 1

Wow, I was not expecting this. I went to bet on the spread for Game 2 and take the Hawks cause they were getting +8.5 points. After you make a bet the "Quick Tips" comes up showing you trends in betting on the game you are betting on so they can entice to you to make more bets.

Lo and behold, 86% of people are taking the Hawks to win STRAIGHT UP!???! Nevermind the point spread....STRAIGHT UP!!! Again, another one of these situations that is almost never heard of when an underdog of 8.5 points is overwhelmingly being chosen to win STRAIGHT UP!!

And it's not like it's from a small sample size. This line has been out for over 24 hours now.

Anyway, thought I'd share. Hawk's getting respect in Vegas.

hawkbet-1.png

Wow! I'm assuming Michael Wilbon is not among that 86% (or IS he?)

Thanks for sharing johnny.

Eh, knowing the Hawks I think I would stay away from the spread no matter what. If you look at the average margin for games throughout the year (not of victory, think of it as absolute value) then I would assume the Hawks have the highest variance in that statistic out of all the teams. They are just so erratic it makes the points you get irrelevant when adjusting for money payout. I think this is just bettors doing their homework, its not usually the odds makers that are that smart it is that they are better at interpreting information about the betting patterns than most.

Anyway, great post! I wish I had seen this earlier, betting is not an activity of mine but I always enjoy that statistical side of betting. I guess I am just too risk-averse to go off betting on sports but nerdy enough to talk about it.