• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Good News - Could be Bad News

phoostal

I have had numerous posts on how we need to get rid of ASG to be successful, but I never thought I would say this - getting this possible new owner could be worse than ASG.

I have read numerous posts from San Diego Padre fans on how they could not stand this owner when he owned the team. The one common theme from the fans was that he ran the team on the cheap. I do know during his ownership tenure the Padres were one of the lowest payrolls in all of MLB. This is not a good sign at all.

A point I want to make, how does a guy buy another team if he doesn't want to build a winner. If his ultimate goal is to run a team on the cheap and make money by doing this, What's the point? I know from reading past articles on owning sports franchises, most owners do not make any money. So why buy the team? Unless its just to get the rights to Phillips.

While I'm excited about the prospects of ASG having nothing to do with the Hawks, I'm not optimistic at all about this possible new owner.

I hope maybe we can get someone else that would be serious in buying this franchise. Or maybe he learned from running the Padres and is going to change his past ways? I just don't know if that is realistic to think that way, considering his past behavior.

P

• Premium Member

I have had numerous posts on how we need to get rid of ASG to be successful, but I never thought I would say this - getting this possible new owner could be worse than ASG.

I have read numerous posts from San Diego Padre fans on how they could not stand this owner when he owned the team. The one common theme from the fans was that he ran the team on the cheap. I do know during his ownership tenure the Padres were one of the lowest payrolls in all of MLB. This is not a good sign at all.

A point I want to make, how does a guy buy another team if he doesn't want to build a winner. If his ultimate goal is to run a team on the cheap and make money by doing this, What's the point? I know from reading past articles on owning sports franchises, most owners do not make any money. So why buy the team? Unless its just to get the rights to Phillips.

While I'm excited about the prospects of ASG having nothing to do with the Hawks, I'm not optimistic at all about this possible new owner.

I hope maybe we can get someone else that would be serious in buying this franchise. Or maybe he learned from running the Padres and is going to change his past ways? I just don't know if that is realistic to think that way, considering his past behavior.

P

This. The operating rights to Philips Arena are quite valuable. There's always a risk that owner(s) will be more interested in that than the team. Ross Perot Jr. once bought the Mavs because of broader business considerations (in his case, getting an inside track on real estate purchases in downtown Dallas). I would be wary of any owner from out of town for that reason.

That being said, really all people who buy non-NFL sports teams in this day and age do it for either money (i.e., they are confident they'll be able to sell the team and/or related assets for more than they pay for them) or vanity (see: Mark Cuban, Michael Jordan). So it probably doesn't matter.

• Premium Member

I'm really just excited that the ASG is looking to let go of the team. Also, I don't know if that guy would come in here trying to keep this thing on the cheap...but that is a failed business strategy for Atlanta. He'd take this thing on just to bleed money on it. Indefinitely.

• Premium Member

Sounds like Moores is about to get a final payment from Moorad to finish off the Padres' sale, and he's looking for his next (and likely last, given his age) sports franchise.

What's to-like about Moores is that I believe the Pads made their first World Series under his watch, and were modestly successful, using both player development and free agency to achieve that. The team's most recent financial hardships had been largely associated with the Moores' divorce and the debt that Moorad took-on in order to purchase the team.

What else is to-like for those of us who tired of such a multi-layered bureaucracy governing our Hawks ever since Ted Turner sold out years and years ago is that we might finally have a majority owner who makes decision-making simple.

Those are my glass-half-full observations... I'm sure there'll be some glass-half-empty ones to come.

Change is always uncertain. Moores could turn us in the next Clippers, or he could decide to be the next Jerry Buss. More than likely, we'll get something in between.

What I can't figure out is why wouldn't the ASG do a deal for all three properties.

Even as they look to get out of the sports business the ASG is still going to screw the Atlanta fans. I HATE those bastahds

:saythat: