• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jason Collins: One More Go-Round?

lethalweapon3

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Moderators

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index.php/topic/350296-jason-collins-expects-to-resign-with-hawks/page__st__45

July 2010 was not a good time for my laptop. This poor thing was nearly dropkicked.

With the tastes of the Magic smackdowns, the rookie coach hire, the draft flameout, the Chillz punt, and the "A$G paid what?" all still sour on my palate, I was sitting there watching Boston court the great Shaquille O'Neal to shore up their needs upfront, Z deciding to take his aging talents to South Beach, and the Mavs wheeling and dealing for Tyson Chandler.

As for the Hawks? Well, they were about to announce they've replaced Jason Collins with... Jason Collins! Ohhh, good for you!

Way to address the need for a big man to hold up against Dwight and Gortat, guys! I went at the news on my computer screen like McEnroe went in on some poor umpire. You Cannot Be Serious!

LD and Sund harped about Collins' improved conditioning, familiarity with this new coach's "system," and positive locker room presence to justify the re-signing. Yeah, whatever. When we get bounced in the first round, while Shaq and Perkins and the Celtics are throwing their weight around in the Eastern Finals, we'll be kicking ourselves...

As the season progressed, though, many of us were pleasantly surprised to see how well bringing JaCo in to start games worked against bigger lineups, particularly allowing us to see how Horf fared at the 4 and Smoove at the 3. And the strategy paid off handsomely in the first round against D-Ho and his self-assured, second-round-bound Magic.

Now a free agent again, he's a reasonably healthy 7-foot-body, won't demand or require major minutes to be productive, and is somehow not even 33 yet.

Post-lockout, will he be worth the trouble of another vet minimum contract? Would signing him be a sign of stagnation? Are there vet minimum contract players you feel would be an appreciable upgrade? Wouldn't a major-minutes big still be needed besides Horf and Zaza, even if they re-signed JaCo?

~lw3

Who knows, maybe we wont be able to get him for the minimum? I know a certain southeast division foe who doesn't have a legitimate big man to back up their superstar big man. Also if they pick him up then that one less player to defend their big man.

He will be there for the minimum and I will be all for it. I would also be good with Jeff Foster or Fesenko.

Nazr

Tyson Chandler

Yao

DeAndre Jordan

Marc Gasol

Spencer Hawes

Dalembert

Nene if he opts out

Those guys will get more than the minimum. Everyone else is iffy on rather or not they get anything more than minimum level offers. So,we will have a decent pool to scrape the bottom of.

I would take DeAndre or Dalembert for the full MLE in a second

He will be there for the minimum and I will be all for it. I would also be good with Jeff Foster or Fesenko.

Nazr

Tyson Chandler

Yao

DeAndre Jordan

Marc Gasol

Spencer Hawes

Dalembert

Nene if he opts out

Those guys will get more than the minimum. Everyone else is iffy on rather or not they get anything more than minimum level offers. So,we will have a decent pool to scrape the bottom of.

I would take DeAndre or Dalembert for the full MLE in a second

Teague/hinrich/

Johnson/jamal

Smoove/marvin

Al/

DeAndre Jordan/Zaza/Jason Collins

Pick up some vet hard nose FA