• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zaza Pachulia to play in Turkey

The Hawksfan

Thomas and Lighty (two mini camp guys) also heading overseas. (Interesting that Thomas, is going to Korea. My daughter went there last year to find a teaching job. I guess its the land of opportunity these days. But, there should be some openings in APS coming up....)

The lockout is probably going to deplete the ranks of undrafted and maybe even second round players who can't count on getting a contract. Plus - why wouldn't Jamal and other FAs go there as well. Going to hurt the Hawks since its going to be the much tougher to fill the roster. Lighty was apparently looking good to them.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2011/7/7/2263890/david-lighty-malcolm-thomas-nba-lockout-atlanta-hawks

Wow, some of the big names are heading over too. Just saw where Deron Williams is expected to sign within the next 24 hours with the same Turkish club that signed Zaza, and apparently they're also going to contact Kobe Bryant amongst others to gauge their interest in playing in Turkey. If I were a player, I'd do it. It would be one hell of an experience.

For free agents that don't have contracts for next year, it's a great move. For Williams, it's also a great move. Even if he gets hurt, the Nets have to resign him--they gave up so much to get him.

I think if you get a few more all-star caliber players moving overseas, this lockout will quickly end.

As for Zaza, I'd like to see him dominate overseas and build-up some confidence.

• Moderators

You can't blame him. Just like many americans, he has to provide for his family. I wonder what will happen to his resturaunt in downtown?

Actually, the one in Midtown (5th Street Cafe, after he closed Eno by Zaza at the same spot) flopped after a couple months. It's recently re-opened by the Sotto Sotto/Fritti guy as Escorpion.

Zaza's Buckhead Bottle Bar is still going, I guess you could say, strong. If you're into some good Buckhead humor, definitely check out the reviews online.

~lw3

Actually, the one in Midtown (5th Street Cafe, after he closed Eno by Zaza at the same spot) flopped after a couple months. It's recently re-opened by the Sotto Sotto/Fritti guy as Escorpion.

Zaza's Buckhead Bottle Bar is still going, I guess you could say, strong. If you're into some good Buckhead humor, definitely check out the reviews online.

~lw3

Ha! That sucks for Zaza.

• Moderators

Jamal in the talks as well, according to his agent via SI:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/07/11/drew.league/index.html

In addition to Williams, Hawks center Zaza Pachulia is set to join Besiktas despite having two years and $10 million left on his contract. Yahoo! Sports reported that Bryant would consider international offers, and Wade told The Associated Press that he would weigh the idea as well. Durant can now be added to that list. His agent, Aaron Goodwin, told SI.com that he is exploring overseas options for his most high-profile client.

"If the opportunity presents itself and the lockout persists, he's going to have to consider it just as other players are considering it," Goodwin said. "Kevin has shown some interest to know what the situation is and we'll reach out to the players' association and make sure that they're aligned with the guys in case they do take an offer. But I think what you're going to see happening is a lot of players are going to look at the opportunity if the lockout prolongs that they can go somewhere and play basketball."If they're not allowed to play in the NBA, they've got to look at other opportunities. If you have teams that want you to play and the NBA is willing to sit out a year, why sit out a year?"

Goodwin said free agent Jamal Crawford has serious interest from two teams and is contemplating an offer from a Turkish club, though he wouldn't specify which one. It remains to be seen how wiling teams will be to offer the D-Will clause.

"So far in the conversations for Jamal Crawford, teams have shown [both a] reluctance and a willingness to have that clause in there," Goodwin said. "Obviously, we would never pursue it without a clause being in there where the player can opt out."

~lw3

The Euroleague finals are in Istanbul this year so there is an arms race between the Istanbul clubs, combined with the financial troubles of the greek teams it makes Turkey one of the most likely destinations for the possible lockout players. But you also have to consider that the turkish sportsnewspapers write 99% crap so I wouldn't believe most of the rumours.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just got a tweet from Zaza saying he isn't playing for, I guess, the Turkish team because they couldn't agree on terms.

If you asked me 2 years ago if the hawksquawk inside source would be eddie on twitter I would have said no way. I think it's hilarious, but thanks for letting us know.