• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Don't know if anyone has seen this yet...

ATLHawks6

And my apologies if you have (or if this is the wrong forum), but, via Adreian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports....

"

Josh Smith(notes) hasn’t changed his mind on a future with his hometown Atlanta Hawks: He believes he’s probably run his course with Atlanta. Without an owner committed to making the changes to push this team past its second-round Eastern Conference ceiling, sources said he’d still welcome the team putting him into a trade."

AND....

Rival executives say GM Rick Sund has told them everyone is available for deals, although Sund’s most reluctant to move Al Horford(notes). There had been serious discussions between Atlanta and the Minnesota Timberwolves for Smith around the NBA draft, but they never materialized.

Not really "news" considering Josh Smith, but if Woj' sources are correct, I find it crazy that Sund is putting EVERYONE on the table in discussions.

Refreshing news ! I'm more than relieved to hear that. Breaking the core is the only thing to do if we want a chance to improve. The way this team is built, in no way it is competitive enough to compete at the highest level without going over the luxury cap. I dont think the owners are willing to do that. We gotta gain some momentum by adding new players to the team. Have no idea who though...

I said I wouldn't talk anymore on Dwight or CP3 till Dec 9 but I will but only for Dwight. In the convo I had this summer with my guy (n/h) this is what was said and he said that he had NO news on CP3 being traded to Atlanta. He is likely lying since he also told me that we haven't contracted Utah or Denver for Melo/Deron and we did.

1. Horford is untouchable. He was been on the table once for Howard. Orlando said they had offers they would rather pursue instead and that was that. He said this happened in February. Howard has only been on the market since late January. The only team that didn't get completely turned away was the Clippers. No telling what that means but he's not playing in Atlanta.

2. Smith was not on the table for Minnesota. Atlanta called and ask. That was basically it. It was nothing serious, Kahn was just trying to cook up value for a pick no one wanted at that price.

3. Smith has been on the table but not even for centers like we would think. He hasn't been on the table for Bynum, Bogut, Hibbert, Lopez, or Nene. We never made that call. But he has been on the table for Cousins which Sacremento really didn't put on the market, Deron, Howard, and Melo. He didn't say if Smith was on the market or not, he just said Smith would cost a lot.

4. He or a couple others didn't return my call during the hot moment of trades. That makes me think he's hiding stuff from me but usually they do.

5. ASG/Sund is close knit like Miller/O'Connor, it's hard to get anything out of them. You will find out when it's official. Teams like Memphis are open as my connects get me their info ASAP. Teams like Minnesota and Orlando talk too much. Play their hand before it's dealt. ASG/Knight made that mistake once and ASG will never do it again. That's how I got the Amare to Hawks deal two weeks before it was even talked about with the media.

6. Jamal is likely gone but I can't get no info out of him on Jamal. None. He said we want to bring Jamal back but that sounded crazy to me given the cap. Sund came out publicly and said the same thing.

7. In the NBA, Atlanta pieces are valued highly. Whatever the internet world feels is not true on how others view them. Just to not.

8. These trades aren't like NBA 2k, it takes months and years sometimes. Sometimes these trades have been in place since two years ago. For whatever reason they don't get done or the timing isn't right. Sund also mention this in a radio interview.

9. He didn't say nothing about any deals or FA's. He said he didn't know. I called others and they haven't returned my call. I got that information in August but I didn't post during the lockout so I didn't come here that often. I hope that helped. Oh and I did get info on ASG a couple weeks ago. They are keeping the team. I think said that on here already. But that's the most recent news and that was from a different guy through text messaging. No other current news.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Yeah, there are no untouchables on the team, depending on the deals being offered. I suspect, though, MG Junior and Sund are taking a passive approach to dealmaking, waiting for other teams to come to them.

As for Josh, this young man is growing up before our very eyes! (sniff) I mean, how many cats have had the opportunity to be drafted by their hometown NBA team fresh outta high school (Bill Graboski, anyone?), much less have the opportunity to play for them for nearly a decade?

This unique opportunity has been a blessing overall, but not without the curses of local yokels and his closest associates within arm's reach hampering his professional development. "It's not you, Josh, it's the refs... We all know Coach was wrong for benching you, you only have four fouls!... How 'bout another

before practice? Mmmmm... I know you just got blown out, but can you invite (insert opposing star players here) to The Club for an afterparty?... Go ahead, Smoove, take that shot -- for threeeeeeeee!"

Just my opinion, but "Josh Smith of the Utah Jazz" would have been a VERY different ballplayer after just a few years, and I think he realizes that now. I don't agree with Woj that Josh is openly, or even privately, welcoming a trade anywhere. But I also don't think he'd mope terribly much, either, so long as it's not a cellar-dwelling lottery team he gets shipped to. Not having the coddling Team Smoove in his ear for 100-plus days out of the year (and paying his salary... I'm looking at you, MG Junior) would have been good for his pro development, and I suspect it would continue to be.

Just wishful thinking on my part, but I still could see Josh being part of a sign-and-trade by Orlando for Dwight (thank you, owners, for nixing the proposed Carmelo Rule, by the way), then returning in free agency to join D12 in the 404 for a triumphant title run in 2013-2014, IF the ownership and management can get their collective **** together by then.

~lw3

By the way, I used to be a pro Horford in this Smith_Al debate. I may have changed my mind. Guess nobody cares though ! Horford is kinda overrated these days. We might be able to find really good players for him. What do you think ?

Al Horford ain't overrated. Neither is Josh Smith. Both are very underrated. If you think Atlanta has interest in trading top 20-30 players who are bigs? Think again. Especially given Horford potential that's even crazier to say.

Al Horford ain't overrated. Neither is Josh Smith. Both are very underrated. If you think Atlanta has interest in trading top 20-30 players who are bigs? Think again. Especially given Horford potential that's even crazier to say.

I'm not always right man!

The difference between the two is that Al can play center, which is interesting for every teams.

How do you imagine Horford game in, let's say, five years ?

Refreshing news ! I'm more than relieved to hear that. Breaking the core is the only thing to do if we want a chance to improve. The way this team is built, in no way it is competitive enough to compete at the highest level without going over the luxury cap. I dont think the owners are willing to do that. We gotta gain some momentum by adding new players to the team. Have no idea who though...

I agree breaking the core is the way to go. I think we should get rid of Marvin or Horford though. J Smith is an unbelieavable player and was the only reason we performed so well in the playoffs. Where has Horford or JJ been the past two years in the playoffs? Both were pathetic in the second round and Smith showed up to play and proved he could lead this team with some help. Trading Smith is foolish, he's one of the best players in the league. In any other market he would get the respect he deserves but this is atlanta.
  • Like 1

I agree breaking the core is the way to go. I think we should get rid of Marvin or Horford though. J Smith is an unbelieavable player and was the only reason we performed so well in the playoffs. Where has Horford or JJ been the past two years in the playoffs? Both were pathetic in the second round and Smith showed up to play and proved he could lead this team with some help. Trading Smith is foolish, he's one of the best players in the league. In any other market he would get the respect he deserves but this is atlanta.

Horford dominated Anderson and Bass till they switched him to Howard. Smith overall playoffs stats were just as bad as Horford's last year. JJ was our best player bar none v. Orlando and had a big impact v. Chicago till they started double teaming him.

Smith really cost the team two games v. Chicago. You seem to have selective memory on what Smith did v. Chicago. He didn't do much better than anyone that series. Teague was our best player during that series. Not Smith, Joe, Jamal, or Al.

Smith is one of the best players in the league. I agree but he most definitely he is the player we need to trade if the choice was him or Horford. Smith is more talented, better impact on defense, and a more athletic player. Horford has more potential, much higher bbiq, and is far more consistent. Both are very good on defense and are great athletes.

Smith play will never get him the complete respect. He is boneheaded at times. Let's his emotions get the best of them and he has low offensive bbiq and doesn't know his limitations. You know you have issues when the fans are saying "no!" when you shoot jumpers. Name how many players in the last 50 years you know had that happen?

I'm not always right man!

The difference between the two is that Al can play center, which is interesting for every teams.

How do you imagine Horford game in, let's say, five years ?

Depends on the personnel. With the current one we have, I can't see him being that much better especially with Teague at PG.

17.1PPG, 10.3RPG, 3.9 APG.

The thing about the Hawks is we have players who have elite ability. We just don't play as a team or have the personnel to utilize it.

Elite at:

Josh Smith:

Blocking

Athleticism when in top shape

Help side defense

Defensive anchor and one of the few in the NBA

Teague:

Speed

Quickness

Potentially his ability to finish around the basket will be his calling card like Tony Parker

Horford:

movement

PnR

Versatility

Defensive bbiq

Johnson:

Versatility

Clutch

#2 option, could be one of the best #2 options in the league like Pau Gasol is and would be a natural at it.

Zaza:

Toughness

Jamal:

Scoring

4 pt plays

Dribbling

Marvin:

Clumsiness (Iol, just kidding)

<DIV class="post_block hentry clear clearfix " id=post_id_525202>

<DIV class=post_wrap>

The thing about the Hawks is we have players who have elite ability. We just don&amp;#39;t play as a team or have the personnel to utilize it. Elite at: Josh Smith: Blocking Athleticism when in top shape Help side defense Defensive anchor and one of the few in the NBA Teague: Speed Quickness Potentially his ability to finish around the basket will be his calling card like Tony Parker Horford: movement PnR Versatility Defensive bbiq Johnson: Versatility Clutch #2 option, could be one of the best #2 options in the league like Pau Gasol is and would be a natural at it. Zaza: Toughness Jamal: Scoring 4 pt plays Dribbling Marvin: Clumsiness (Iol, just kidding)
</DIV>

So in your own opinion, nbasuperstar40, should we trade some of the core away to bring ppl that is going to fit the system of Coach Drew(if he still coaching) or just stay stat quo with what Hawks still got

For me, I would give up some of the core members to get a superstar like Paul and Howard, because it has been such a long time since we had a face of this team and true leader on this team.&amp;nbsp; Plus we need to put more butts in seat at Phillips,

Edited by NekiEcko

I would send Joe w/ teague over... That way they have Joe to keep things interesting while Teague grows..Win win

But of course they would never do this

Edited by savwboy

So in your own opinion, nbasuperstar40, should we trade some of the core away to bring ppl that is going to fit the system of Coach Drew(if he still coaching) or just stay stat quo with what Hawks still got

For me, I would give up some of the core members to get a superstar like Paul and Howard, because it has been such a long time since we had a face of this team and true leader on this team.&amp;nbsp; Plus we need to put more butts in seat at Phillips,

Honestly, Atlanta too deep in to trade one of our Big 3 for spare parts. It would have to take a superstar to break the crew up right now. They just went to three straight 2nd rounds with a young squad who is entering their prime.

Without question, landing a prime superstar would at least see Phillips at 95% attendance. People in Atlanta love Basketball, then it would be time to love the Hawks.

Look at the hires we made and I don't think Collins will be back even if we keep our core together. I hope we don't bring back Damien. I like him a lot for what he has done but he's like a bigger, less athletic Mario West.

nbasuperstar40,

I was thinking that too but we have to remember, that two separate Hawks was in the same boat about 10 years apart from each other but cant get into the ECF. Something has to give. Is ASG is be content on second round exits or want to take it the next level? I say break it.

nbasuperstar40,

I was thinking that too but we have to remember, that two separate Hawks was in the same boat about 10 years apart from each other but cant get into the ECF. Something has to give. Is ASG is be content on second round exits or want to take it the next level? I say break it.

These Hawks have the pieces to make big moves and those Hawks didn't. That's the biggest difference but if they make a move, it should be good but it will cost us a pretty penny.

• Moderators

A little more of Smoove's mindset going into the free agency/player movement rush, via nba.com. Shades of EPMD...

...Celtics GM Danny Ainge dismissed the Rondo trade rumors earlier today and even went so far as to profess his “love” for the franchise’s star point guard.

But that won’t make the whispers go away, Smith said. He knows because he’s endured them for the years, with rumors persisting to this day that he’s headed somewhere other than the franchise he’s played for in and every one of his seven seasons in the league.

“Rajon didn’t talk much about it but let me do it for him,” Smith said. “It’s mind-boggling to me to see people talking about getting rid of a player who damn-near broke his arm during the playoffs last year for his team and kept playing. We’re talking about arguably the best player in the playoffs for his team energy-wise, defensively and offensively. It’s a sick joke. For anyone to talk about getting rid of him, one of the elite point guards in this league and a true point who passes first and shoots second … it just reminds me of what I already knew, that the NBA is strictly a business. They can try to make it as family oriented as they want to, but at the end of the day it’s a business. And the fact is there is no loyalty in the NBA or any other profession. It’s always business.

Smith said he is like most of his peers, extra sensitive to that fact with a condensed free agency period and the rushed start to this abbreviated season causing a spike in trade chatter. It’s not just his name or Rondo’s being tossed around. It’s Dwight Howard and Deron Williams and just about any other name you can think of these days.

“Nothing surprises me, though,” Smith said. “After seeing what happened to the NFL players when they came out of their lockout and they had something like 600 transactions in a week and you saw good players, quality players, getting shuffled around the league because of the way the process was structured. Nothing would surprise me.”

~lw3