• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Monday Musings: In search of the perfect fit for big man Chris Kaman

HawkItus

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/?eref=sinav&sct=hp_nv_a

ATLANTA HAWKS

Wouldn’t this be fun? If Al Horford returns from injury, Atlanta would suddenly be loaded and versatile on the front line, able to go big or small without sacrificing offense (i.e., without playing Jason Collins). The Hawks played Chicago to a competitive six-game series last season. The Bulls are better this season, but a Joe Johnson/Josh Smith/Horford/Kaman/Jeff Teague core could make Miami or Chicago work a bit, providing some entertainment before the inevitable conference finals clash. Toss in an injury, and who knows what might happen?

Alas, there are huge obstacles. The tax-phobic Hawks are right at the threshold now, meaning they’d have to send out just about 100 percent of Kaman’s salary, or more, in order to avoid moving up too far to duck back under via waiving players on non-guaranteed deals. That would mean including Marvin Williams and/or Kirk Hinrich (on an expiring contract) in any Kaman deal, and though Williams is playing better than ever, it’s hard to see how either has much value to the Hornets. A third team might be necessary.

Yeah, I was thinking it would be nice to get Kaman, but there really isn't much for us to give the Hornets. That is, there has to be at least one better deal that MW24 for Kaman out there.

Yeah, I was thinking it would be nice to get Kaman, but there really isn't much for us to give the Hornets. That is, there has to be at least one better deal that MW24 for Kaman out there.

We need to keep Marvin, unless we would get a SF. We have a couple of PG's so Kirk isn't as valuable as Marvin. Kirk, 2nd rounder, and maybe Zaza?

• Admin

Deal Kirk, his contract makes him ideal for a Kaman deal. Additonally, Kirk has been on this team for a while and hasn't shown any signs of being a huge commodity. We could continue using Pargo.

Kirk has been a major step up to Pargo...his defense...his BBIQ ... passing

• Like 1

We need to keep Marvin, unless we would get a SF. We have a couple of PG's so Kirk isn't as valuable as Marvin. Kirk, 2nd rounder, and maybe Zaza?

My main point, is that I don't think the Hawks have the ammo to get Kaman vs. what else the Hornets could be offered. Kirk really isn't more than an expiring for them. We'd probably have to give up a first.

Kaman still has something left in his tank... I wouldn't mind getting him, especially under our current set of circumstances.

NO will probably be a tough bargain... I would start with Kirk... and then offer Collins and 2nd round draft pick (they said they would like to receive another big in return)...

Let's be honest Kazan is not a game changer. Unless we get significant cap space he isn't worth the trouble.

Given the right situation (contender), I believe that motivated Kaman can still produce above average numbers, plus so much needed low-post game... only if the price is right!

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Let's be honest Kazan is not a game changer. Unless we get significant cap space he isn't worth the trouble.

Despite the injury bug, we're talking about a guy who has actually been an all-star and is a legitimate seven footer, not an undersized tweener. He indeed is a game changer to anyone who gets him. This game is won and lost in the paint come playoff time, not with jumpshots.

N.O. is looking for an expiring contract, a young player, and a 1st round draft pick this year. The asking price is entirely too much.

If that's correct, it's way too much... anyway, we should stay on alert because there aren't many bigs out there that could truly help us at this point...

• Premium Member

Despite the injury bug, we're talking about a guy who has actually been an all-star and is a legitimate seven footer, not an undersized tweener. He indeed is a game changer to anyone who gets him. This game is won and lost in the paint come playoff time, not with jumpshots.

And all this time, I thought that Dallas was a jump shooting team...Guess I was wrong! It was Orlando with that jump shooting center! LOL

• Premium Member

And all this time, I thought that Dallas was a jump shooting team...Guess I was wrong! It was Orlando with that jump shooting center! LOL

Jump shooting center? Last time I checked, Dirk was a seven foot power forward. I also would say that seven foot center named Tyson Chandler had alot to do with that title they won last year. How's Dallas fairing without him? Yeah. Like the great Charles Barkley said, this game is won and lost in the paint.

• Premium Member

Jump shooting center? Last time I checked, Dirk was a seven foot power forward. I also would say that seven foot center named Tyson Chandler had alot to do with that title they won last year. How's Dallas fairing without him? Yeah. Like the great Charles Barkley said, this game is won and lost in the paint.

Yeah he carried them offensively with his array of offensive post moves!

• Premium Member

Yeah he carried them offensively with his array of offensive post moves!

No, it's called size, defense and rebounding. You know, those three little things that helped Dallas win a title and without them they won't even sniff another. Same goes for our beloved Hawks.

Edited by Jody23
  • Like 1