• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

It's Time To Defend Atlanta's NBA Championship!

lethalweapon3

Haier Shooting Stars: Help Smitty Out!  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Moderators

109009627MW001_Haier_Shooti.standalone.prod_affiliate.4.jpg

Who says Atlanta never wins anything?

wink3.gif

The defending Haier Shooting Stars champs usually get a chance to repeat, so who gives us the best chance to keep that shiny trophy in the ATL?

Al is obviously out of commission, plus the Dream have some more outside shooting threats than they had this time last year. Smitty should be the TNT representative again, unless he can't do it and ex-Hawk Kenny Smith wants to turn heel on Team Texas.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3
  • Like 1

I voted for Marvin and CoCo. It looks like hitting a half court shot is a big part of it, and Marvin has hit a couple this year to close out a half or quarter. I think the Dream rep will probably be Lindsey Harding because she is in town these days. CoCo is playing over in Turkey this season. Izi may not be back, and most of the rest of the players are overseas. Bales is a good 3 point shooter so she might also be good, and I don't think she is overseas now.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think it's usually a player that's on the all star team.

For this reason, there is likely only one choice. Interesting that they went Horford last year for the shooting challenge,though. Not sure if that is because Horford was a better jump shooter last year (he was, although the shot profile is a bit of apples to oranges) or that JJ wasn't interested (possible).

• Moderators

I think it's usually a player that's on the all star team.

Not always, as the 2009 champion Detroit had Arron Afflalo (Allen Iverson was the voted in ASG representative... haha...), and the 2004 L.A. Laker championship contingent featured Derek Fisher (instead of ASG attendees Kobe and Shaq... the latter would've been fun). If the NBA started doing that as a formal policy more recently, it could only apply to newly-formed teams. Returning champs shouldn't have their active NBA rep guaranteed to be in the following year's All-Star Game. Plus the ASG attendee couldn't be someone who can't shoot from out there, like Roy Hibbert.

Probably the one major driver for which "teams" get formed are cities/states with WNBA franchises. Detroit was the only champion not invited to return the next year... that was because in October 2009 the WNBA-representative Shock left Detroit for Tulsa.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

• Moderators

The teams usually have a Big and a guard or SF don't they and a WNBA player. Or am I wrong?

I don't think they're bound at all by position for the male players. It just seems that way since the last couple NBA winners were Horf and Dirk, but Chauncey Billups and Leandro Barbosa were participants, too. I don't think they do big-and-small pairings all the time either (David Robinson and Duncan won in 2008).

From their website (http://www.nba.com/allstar/2012/shooting-stars/index.html)...

The Haier Shooting Stars contest features one current NBA player, one current WNBA player and one TNT on-air talent and legend on each team. There are six numbered shooting locations of increasing difficulty, with each team attempting to make all shots in numeric order in the fastest time.

The "TNT on-air talent and legend" thing I'm pretty sure was added as a qualifier for alums. Former Shooting Star champs Bill Laimbeer and The Admiral, while legends, were not on-air talents. I don't see how that rule is sustainable, since the on-air talents have to be legend in towns with a WNBA city. Reggie Miller could do it, while Chris Webber probably could not.

~lw3

• Moderators

I voted for Marvin and CoCo. It looks like hitting a half court shot is a big part of it, and Marvin has hit a couple this year to close out a half or quarter. I think the Dream rep will probably be Lindsey Harding because she is in town these days. CoCo is playing over in Turkey this season. Izi may not be back, and most of the rest of the players are overseas. Bales is a good 3 point shooter so she might also be good, and I don't think she is overseas now.

Thanks! I didn't know CoCo was overseas, although the Dream just re-signed her to a new contract the other day. I believe Izi and Ally are both free agents, and I agree Izi is less likely to be re-signed.

~lw3

I don't think they're bound at all by position for the male players. It just seems that way since the last couple NBA winners were Horf and Dirk, but Chauncey Billups and Leandro Barbosa were participants, too. I don't think they do big-and-small pairings all the time either (David Robinson and Duncan won in 2008).

From their website (http://www.nba.com/a...tars/index.html)...

The Haier Shooting Stars contest features one current NBA player, one current WNBA player and one TNT on-air talent and legend on each team. There are six numbered shooting locations of increasing difficulty, with each team attempting to make all shots in numeric order in the fastest time.

The "TNT on-air talent and legend" thing I'm pretty sure was added as a qualifier for alums. Former Shooting Star champs Bill Laimbeer and The Admiral, while legends, were not on-air talents. I don't see how that rule is sustainable, since the on-air talents have to be legend in towns with a WNBA city. Reggie Miller could do it, while Chris Webber probably could not.

~lw3

Thanks

• Moderators

http://www.nba.com/2...ls=iref:nbahpt2

Joe it is! Saturday night is the Joe and Jeremy Show.

Randy guessed right, too, it's Lindsey Harding! She struggled with her shot last season but got hot right on time during the playoffs against Indiana. And, perhaps most importantly, she's in town!

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3