• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Eastern Conference Standings

cam1218

• Premium Member

Bob and Nique have been talking about playoff seeding a lot recently. We aren't there yet, but I think most of us assume we will be there. It seems logical that you want to be higher in the standings, but do we really want to be?Lets say we finish third. We would have homecourt and be playing the sixth seed. We would probably be playing Indiana or Orlando. I like both of those matchups, but we would be playing the Heat in the second round (assuming they finish second).If we finish sixth, it is probably a rematch with the Magic. In this scenario, it is obviously better finishing third because we get homecourt and are stuck with the Heat anyways.What has me really intrigued though, is finishing fifth. If we finish fifth, we will play the winner of the Central Divison. As long as we have a better record we will still get homecourt (so it might as well be the fourth seed). I worry about playing the 76ers, but they have slipped a bit since they dominated us earlier this year. Could we beat the Celtics? What about the Knicks? I feel we could take any team from the Central in the first round (if we can stay healthy).If we win the 4/5 series, we get a rematch with Chicago. Considering the injuries of Rose and how we have played the Bulls this past year, I'd much rather see them instead of the Heat in the second round.So what do you guys think?

Bob and Nique have been talking about playoff seeding a lot recently. We aren't there yet, but I think most of us assume we will be there. It seems logical that you want to be higher in the standings, but do we really want to be?Lets say we finish third. We would have homecourt and be playing the sixth seed. We would probably be playing Indiana or Orlando. I like both of those matchups, but we would be playing the Heat in the second round (assuming they finish second).If we finish sixth, it is probably a rematch with the Magic. In this scenario, it is obviously better finishing third because we get homecourt and are stuck with the Heat anyways.What has me really intrigued though, is finishing fifth. If we finish fifth, we will play the winner of the Central Divison. As long as we have a better record we will still get homecourt (so it might as well be the fourth seed). I worry about playing the 76ers, but they have slipped a bit since they dominated us earlier this year. Could we beat the Celtics? What about the Knicks? I feel we could take any team from the Central in the first round (if we can stay healthy).If we win the 4/5 series, we get a rematch with Chicago. Considering the injuries of Rose and how we have played the Bulls this past year, I'd much rather see them instead of the Heat in the second round.So what do you guys think?

You mean the Atlantic Division.If the Hawks are healthy, the only team that I fear is a healthy Rose-led Bulls team. With all players healthy we are a very very dangerous team. Tomorrow against Utah I expect a boost from Mac and Stack. Marvin looks good of the bench too.

• Premium Member

The key is that we ought to work to get HC advantage in the first round. Weather it be Orlando, Indy, or somebody else, us with a first round HC advantage could mean all the difference in the world.Also, let's not assume that Chicago and Miami will just walk through the competition.As I have it, Boston and NY can be 7th and 8th accordingly. Both of those teams can score upsets on the top seeds. Especially NY over Chicago.How special would it be to face Indiana in the first round with HC advantage. Boston in the 2nd round with HC advantage.. and in the finals, NY... with HC advantage!!!David Stern would piss his pants, but Atlanta vs. NY with the winner to go to the finals would be worth the publicity. We'd get screwed by the refs though.

• Moderators

Putting my Gearon gear on...The matchups on the floor matter not one iota to me with this team. The seeds don't matter much to me either, although a #3 or #4 is nice and all. For a team without even a remote sense of home field advantage, whether it's 3 or 4 potential games at home are not as important as the need for the Hawks to have one of these opponents at any stage of the Eastern Conference postseason:MiamiNew YorkBostonChicagoThat's it.The aforementioned are the only East teams in the top ten in road attendance percentage (the next highest team, ranking 15th, is Kyrie's Cavaliers). I want the top possible draws, maximizing ticket revenue and legitimate media exposure.No Orlando (been there, done that, thanks for playing), and absolutely, positively, no Indiana, no Milwaukee, and no Philadelphia. Ick.No more seven-game wars-of-attrition dragged out over a week-and-a-half in uninspired half-full arenas relegated to LifetimeTV or Bravo or the OWN network and called by bitter commentators who drew the short straws openly whimpering and snickering and taking their personal frustrations out on Josh's shot selection.Beat any of those non-draw teams in the first round and we will get, once again, "yeah, they squeaked by the Pacers somehow, who cares, did anybody watch?" Not by JimBob from Jonesboro, mind you, but from professionally paid basketball media analysts. The Hawks will wear themselves out and still won't be taken seriously, at home or abroad. Drop a series to any of these non-draw teams, and the media whoopin' sticks really come out.There is no primrose path for this team to reach a Conference Finals no matter who we play. When/if we're going to lose a series, have it be against the D.Roses and D.Wades of the world, not the D12s (we've seen that show, thank you) and definitely not the D.Grangers.Alternatively, if we're thumping people, have it happen against the ego-inflated squads and fanbases that put booties in seats and glue eyeballs to 73-inch screens. Draw both the fans who love those teams and will go home bitter, and the ones who detest those teams and will go home on cloud nine. If this franchise wants respect (and the cash that comes with it) they have to be in situations that force people to pay attention.Besides all that... you try selling Monta Ellis jerseys at the Hawks store!~"mgjr"

• Like 1