• Current Donation Goals

• Raised 390.00 USD of 700.00 USD target

Hawks - Celtics Game 4

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

http://nba.cdn.turner.com/nba/big/channels/playoffs/2012/05/05/20120504_bos_atl_game4_preview.nba_nba_576x324.flv

Paul Pierce was slowed down to a 3-for-12 shooting night on his home floor, yet he still managed 21 points in Game 3. His ability to get to the line and sink free throws (all 14 of his shots in Game 3) helped his Celtics get the job done. The Hawks, who comparatively shot 15 free throws as a TEAM in Game 3, have to find more ways to draw fouls, creating an advantage with the foul situation (as they did in Game 1), and get our more reliable free throw shooters on the line. Our 18.7 free throw attempts per game ranks last among the 16 playoff squads. Boston, who shot fewer free throws per game (19.8) than Atlanta (21.0) in the regular season, has upped their game in this category (23.0) in the postseason. Pierce took 13 shots (sinking 11) in Boston’s late-charging Game 2 victory, but only 3 shots as the Celtics’ late charge fell short in Game 1.

If you’re into defensive rebounds, this is your series, as the Celtics (40.0) and the Hawks (35.3) and first-and-second among playoff teams. Atlanta is getting theirs because Boston is literally conceding the offensive rebound (5.7 per game, last by far) unless Greg Steimsma is in the paint or they can they can pay tip games around our interior players. Atlanta is getting their offensive boards (10.7 per game, middle of the playoff pack), but will even need more aggressiveness at the rim, both to help address the lack of drawn fouls and shake players (Marvin Williams, Ivan Johnsons) out of their offensive doldrums. The Celts’ playoff D has the Hawks shooting a league-low 37.8% (with more field goal attempts per game than any Eastern playoff contestant), so plenty of missed shots are there for the seizing.

Marvin tallied 11 boards in Game 3, but none of them were offensive rebounds. Josh Smith (30 rebounds in 2 games; only 3 offensive) and Joe Johnson (16 rebounds in 3 games; 4 offensive) will find even more points if they work their way toward the glass after jumpers. Tracy McGrady led the Hawks with 3 offensive rebounds in Game 3, but cannot be expected either to handle this task alone or do it over the course of 40-plus minutes in games going forward.

Woody’s Heat-extinguished Knicks are the only team tallying fewer assists (11.3 per game, and a whopping 18.3 turnovers) in their first-round series than the Hawks (15.0 per game, but only 13.7 turnovers). That subpar value should not lay squarely at the feet of Jeff Teague, as Atlanta continues to rely on limited ball movement and not working either to come open for ball handlers or to get the ball back to Teague to make decisions late in the shot clock. Even without the double-double machine Rajon Rondo on the floor in Game 2, the Hawks failed to outpace Boston in assists (14 each).

With less than ten seconds left on the clock, Teague needs short-range shooters at his disposal when he elects to drive. With a lack of bulk for either team on the inside, there’s no reason for Teague to have to settle for kickouts to his power forwards and de facto centers at the three point line.

Go Hawks!

~lw3

Edited by Dolfan23
Added NBA game preview
  • Like 1

Who do you have to know to get a freaking daytime playoff game on the weekend?? I have enough stuff to watch tonight without having to try and squeeze in a 2-3 hour Hawks game that could very well end up ruining my night as it is. Definitely agree with HF that this is a near must win tonight. I'm not going to say that we'd be 100% done if we lost but I our odds sure aren't great if we do lose.Hopefully Josh is actually playing and won't be hampered by his knee injury as we really need a big night from him.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Josh and T-Mac say they're "most likely" ready to play tonight, according to Micah Hart and to MC @ajchawks during shootaround. Avery Bradley (shoulder) will be a gametime decision.Aside: T-Mac article from the Boston Globe features a photo of him previewing the Samuel Adams, after a spill into the front row.http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2012/05/06/tracy_mcgradys_star_turns_are_fleeting/?~lw3

That's pretty funny seeing him licking the beer. Lets hope he can be that 1st half Tmac tonight combined with a strong comeback from Josh and continued excellence from Joe and we'll get the homecourt advantage back.

LOL @ T-Mac licking the beer. The first six minutes or so are going to be crucial tonight. If we are looking lost offensively early on it could turn out to be a long game. The flip side is us getting into our sets and moving the ball early in the shot clock. if we start out well tonight, I like our chances.

...The first six minutes or so are going to be crucial tonight. If we are looking lost offensively early on it could turn out to be a long game. The flip side is us getting into our sets and moving the ball early in the shot clock. if we start out well tonight, I like our chances.

Agreed. We can't afford to get down 14-4 early and then chase the rest of the half.They've all been close games so far though so I see no reason this one shouldn't be. Play D and make your open jumpers (are you listening Marvin?)If our shooters are generally "on" we should have no trouble taking this one down to the wire like last game. Edited by DJlaysitup

Horfors looks awful. It's expected, but the rest of the team has no excuse. I am guessing we are gonna lose by 30.