• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Cable vs satellite

capstone21

• 2 weeks later...

I've had bitter experience with Direct TV.I had cable. When I signed up for Direct TV, I wanted to make sure I could get Sports South andFox Sports South because they have all the Hawks games. I was assured that these stations were included in my package.They were. Problem was, when it was time for the Hawks game to begin, the station was blacked out.Then I was told that it would be necessary to pay about $300.00 extra if I wished to watch the Hawks.When I confronted them with this, I was told that they had no control over what their sales person hadtold me. Interpitation: We lied to you and we just don't care.Then I went to NBA.com and signed up to watch the Hawks on my computer. It wouldn't show the Hawks.They lied and lied. We're working on it. You should be getting to watch. Then, just before the season was overI was informed that, due to where my Internet cable came from, I was not elgible to get the Hawks and thatthere would be no refund because I could have watched other NBA games. Lied to again.Then, my Direct TV went out. About 2/3rds. of the channels would not come in. I called Direct TV and was informed that, since I did not purchase their repair package, there would be a $50.00 service fee.When I told them I would just cancel, theere was a miracle. Suddenly, all the channels were working again.It cost me over $100.00 to cancel early. It's the best money I ever spent.I'm back on cable and get Sports South and Fox Sports South included and I can again watch the Hawks.

For what it's worth, I've been pretty happy with AT&T U-Verse ..

i have U-Verse as well and I've been happy wiht it as well. Internet speeds are very good and the HD picture is very good. The cost needs to be improved, but maybe I will try the "I'm going to leave you" call to see if I can get a reduction.

• 3 weeks later...

Just moved in to a new place and had Time Warner install cable instead of AT&T U-verse (I have a U-verse modem, but they still wanted to charge me a modem fee so I said F-that). I got the package online that was "Basic TV" and Internet, decided to also upgrade to the "HD-DVR Box and Service". My thought was that "Basic TV" meant their "basic cable" package that has over 200 channels with an additional 20 or so in HD. Also, I am thinking that because I can get an HD-DVR Box and Service that I must be getting HD channels. I am getting this for around $75 a month so I am thinking I have a great deal because the comparable AT&T U-verse service would have been around $92.Turns out the "Basic TV" means you get the first 22 channels (not even ESPN...although I wouldn't watch that anyway) and absolutely no HD. Why the F- can I get an HD-DVR Box "and Service" but no HD channels? So I call them up, they say it is a misunderstanding stemming from online (they pulled the "basic tv" is different from "basic cable" even though on their channel listings there is no "basic tv" option), and they can correct the mistake. They will just have to adjust the bill...but I should be paying $105 a month for the service. This is after 45 minutes of being on the line. I say well screw that, cancel the whole service because I will just go with AT&T. They put me on hold and say they need to double check on pricing...5 minutes later they send me to the retention department (apparently I was with the promotion department). They ask me to redescribe the scenario, and then try to squeeze me back into the same $105 a month service. I tell them again to cancel because I can get it cheaper from AT&T...all of a sudden they find that they have overlooked all of their available packages! Turns out, they have the original package I thought I was purchasing to begin with but for $84.99 a month (but that doesn't include the DVR upgrade)!! I mumble some crap about how this has taken me over an hour to realize they are charging me more and they throw in some free HBO.Bottom line, the online package was very very misleading but Time Warner had their correct pricing and services for me initially. Because I huffed and puffed I was able to get the $85 a month service...but they gave me a free DVR and HBO to go along with that. If you want to see the misleadingness of the online ad, here is a screenshot of their channel line-ups as well as the claimed package description and pricing for purchasing the set-top boxes. Notice, there is an option to rent a set-top box with the claimed "basic tv" package...Time Warner is lawyer correct here, but I do not think I am being a fool for believing what a did. I certainly know that they changed their prices for me after I signaled to them that I was willing to cancel service.

post-781-0-22680800-1345764083_thumb.jpg

post-781-0-83037600-1345764085_thumb.jpg

post-781-0-19694400-1345764090_thumb.jpg

$24 for DVR service and box? Posted Image

In their defense, its really like $13 for the DVR. You *have* to pay at least $10 just to get the HD. Makes you wonder how expensive these boxes are and if you can just buy it yourself. I doubt you can actually buy these set-top boxes, they are probably a big money maker for the company.