• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Cable vs satellite

capstone21

I am thinking hard about dropping my cable and moving to dish.The cable fees are too high and they just raised the prices again.Does anyone have dish? Do they like it? Any problems with it?

I've had both sat (dish and direct) and cable currently and find that prices are always higher once you become a customer than it seemed they would be. I stick with cable now because I love the fast internet but I do miss the Sunday ticket and league pass on directive. Luckily I can buy mobile versions of those products without being a customer! Direct is by far the best for HD channels and the picture quality is about the same with them all. Direct also has better menus with more info and cool mobile app controls.

DirecTV hands down.Great customer service.Great picture.Great website (set dvr to record with ease).Don't worry too much about rain fade. It has to be raining heavily. I can't think of a time I've missed a show because of it.

Edited by ATLSmith

I have directv. I like it better than comcast(had it before DTV). Never had dish. I will say this though, if you can, wait. Directv is coming out with a super DVR that records 5 programs at once and can be accessed from your PC/laptop etc. Hold out until they include one of these with your new order.

I have directv. I like it better than comcast(had it before DTV). Never had dish. I will say this though, if you can, wait. Directv is coming out with a super DVR that records 5 programs at once and can be accessed from your PC/laptop etc. Hold out until they include one of these with your new order.

It's available now as my mom just got it. She just ordered DirecTV service last week so they're giving them to new customers now, along with a promo rate and free NFL Sunday Ticket.
  • Like 1

It's available now as my mom just got it. She just ordered DirecTV service last week so they're giving them to new customers now, along with a promo rate and free NFL Sunday Ticket.

well there you go, get on the phone man....ha ha.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been holding off because Dish might drop AMC. There are too many shows on that channel that I do not want to miss (Walking Dead, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Hell on Wheels)

They always have these ooh this might be dropped dramas for all the providers....they'll settle it. Too much money for both parties at stake.

• Admin

I am now thinking Directv instead. THey are offering the better deal. Hey Dol, do you have the Fox Sports package? If so do you get the Hawks games on the Fox Sports SW channel? I am tired of paying for league pass when all I want are Hawks games.

I am now thinking Directv instead. THey are offering the better deal. Hey Dol, do you have the Fox Sports package? If so do you get the Hawks games on the Fox Sports SW channel? I am tired of paying for league pass when all I want are Hawks games.

Nope I never get Hawks games even with that package. I just buy broadband mobile every year with the 5 team package as that's pretty reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...

I am now thinking Directv instead...

I had Directv and was pretty please with it - then switched apartments a year or so ago and went with cable since it was all set up. My cable bills seemed to vary month-to-month and I told a co-worker that I was thinking about going back to Directv. She said: "Just call the cable company and tell them you are fixing to cancel - they'll give you a great deal".

I figured she was BS-ing but then one day when I was home sick from work I figured "what the heck"...I checked out the DTV deals and called cable. They matched the DTV intro deal immediately and it took $28 off my bill for a year. 28 x 12 = I dunno, don't have a calculator right now - but that has to be close to 30 x 10 which is $300 off for the year.

Just a thought if you want to keep cable...worked for me Posted Image .

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

I had Directv and was pretty please with it - then switched apartments a year or so ago and went with cable since it was all set up. My cable bills seemed to vary month-to-month and I told a co-worker that I was thinking about going back to Directv. She said: "Just call the cable company and tell them you are fixing to cancel - they'll give you a great deal".

I figured she was BS-ing but then one day when I was home sick from work I figured "what the heck"...I checked out the DTV deals and called cable. They matched the DTV intro deal immediately and it took $28 off my bill for a year. 28 x 12 = I dunno, don't have a calculator right now - but that has to be close to 30 x 10 which is $300 off for the year.

Just a thought if you want to keep cable...worked for me Posted Image .

I will give that a try.

• Admin

Good luck to you Cap... although I'm not sure that it's in Canadian blood to argue but maybe you'll get lucky and the operator will be Canadian and you'll end up with all sorts of free stuff Posted Image

Thats a problem...I don't argue...just accept :(

• Premium Member

For what it's worth, I've been pretty happy with AT&T U-Verse and have heard great things about Verizon FiOS. Multimodal competition (i.e. allow cable and telephone companies to maintain regional monopolies, thereby forcing competition to come only from alternative sources such as satellite and 4G) is a poor way to ensure a competitive market, so the prices are going to suck no matter where you go. But in the current "race" it seems like the companies that started as phone providers have done the best job of upgrading their infrastructure and providing reliable service.

Edited by niremetal