• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If the hawks could get LA's Mitch Kupchak as a GM and our worries would be over!

JTB

Maybe you dont keep up with other teams that make trades or even try to or maybe you hate everybody but the hawks which is great but I could care less if you hate LA or not you have to give props to Mr. Kupchak! HAd that CP3 trade went through LA would have clearly made a run over the next 3 seasons yet again!

This is hawks related only because had cav's owner not spoken up about this trade teams like our hawks, bucks, jazz and all the others would have been in a shit load of trouble! and if you read my post you will see the letter gilbert emailed stern over this trade.

LET's Analyze this trade for a second! Maybe you thought CP3 was all the Lakers was getting....huh!....noooo buddy! LA was on a mission or should I say Kupchak was on a mission!...I never known until today how that trade would have easily sparked again yet another LA championship run for probably atleast 3 years! OH how I wish we could make a trade for GM's...Sund for Kupchak...for atleast a year!

We all know what the trade was and what was agreeded to actually go ahead and do....only to be vetoed by Commisoner Stern himself!

THE TRADE.....The proposed trade would have sent Paul to the Lakers, Pau Gasol to the Rockets and furnished New Orleans with three top-flight NBA players in Kevin Martin, Luis Scola and Lamar Odom as well as playoff-tested guard Goran Dragic and a 2012 first-round pick that Houston had acquired from the Knicks.

Many disagreed because LA is one of the only teams in the league to have two 7 footers, so to most it was a bad deal though paul was coming to the lakers

BUT HERES WHAT LA REALLY GOT.......

a 40 million dollar save!...40 MILLION DOLLAR SAVE!....again a 40 MILLION DOLLAR SAVE!!!!

.....if this deal would have happened LA would have been able to go after a Star like Deron williams or at the time Dwight Howard this off season!

Kupchak is a genius and a gm that should be over the hawks! theres no telling what he could do for us!

This deal had so many worried Cavs owner who I personally think is just a huge hater helped sway the decision on stern vetoing the trade....

here's a letter gilbert emailed to stern...http://sports.yahoo....ts_trade_120811

Commissioner,

It would be a travesty to allow the Lakers to acquire Chris Paul in the apparent trade being discussed.

This trade should go to a vote of the 29 owners of the Hornets.

Over the next three seasons this deal would save the Lakers approximately $20 million in salaries and approximately $21 million in luxury taxes. That $21 million goes to non-taxpaying teams and to fund revenue sharing.

I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $40 million in the process. And it doesn’t appear that they would give up any draft picks, which might allow to later make a trade for Dwight Howard. (They would also get a large trade exception that would help them improve their team and/or eventually trade for Howard.) When the Lakers got Pau Gasol (at the time considered an extremely lopsided trade) they took on tens of millions in additional salary and luxury tax and they gave up a number of prospects (one in Marc Gasol who may become a max-salary player).

I just don’t see how we can allow this trade to happen.

I know the vast majority of owners feel the same way that I do.

When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.

LOL man kupchak is a beast at GM! wish he was a hawk for one season!...i see why kobe likes him so much...and i would bet LA gets deron williams some how this off season. damn i like kobe but im hawk fan before a player fan, just wish we even had a chance to do things like this!

Comments PLEASE!!!!!!

Edited by JTB

• Moderators

I don't think that trade put them under the cap to go after a top FA and am not sure why they would go after deron if they got Paul

That's a good point. They would have been 20 million under the tax line but that's different than the salary cap. Wouldn't it have been $10 million under the cap (i'm totally guessing). That's not going to land Dwight or Deron.Nevertheless it was a good trade. In fact, it was way too good. I don't think that was genius work for the LA gm. I think that was some back room dealing that only works when you're the Lakers. Gilbert is a clown sometimes but he was right. Lakers essentially trade two older, overpriced vets for Chris Paul.

• Moderators

If the hawks could get LA's Mitch Kupchak as a GM and our worries would be over!

...and the Buss families deep-pocketed checkbook... It's easier to be GM in sports when you have an owner that is willing to shell out the clams.

Commissioner,

It would be a travesty to allow the Lakers to acquire Chris Paul in the apparent trade being discussed.

This trade should go to a vote of the 29 owners of the Hornets.

Over the next three seasons this deal would save the Lakers approximately $20 million in salaries and approximately $21 million in luxury taxes. That $21 million goes to non-taxpaying teams and to fund revenue sharing.

I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $40 million in the process. And it doesn’t appear that they would give up any draft picks, which might allow to later make a trade for Dwight Howard. (They would also get a large trade exception that would help them improve their team and/or eventually trade for Howard.) When the Lakers got Pau Gasol (at the time considered an extremely lopsided trade) they took on tens of millions in additional salary and luxury tax and they gave up a number of prospects (one in Marc Gasol who may become a max-salary player).

I just don’t see how we can allow this trade to happen.

I know the vast majority of owners feel the same way that I do.

When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.

I have been saying this about the NBA for years. Unless you are the Lakers, Heat, Spurs, Bulls, or Celtics, you are not going to ever win a championship in this league. Why should the Lakers and Celtics be relentivent every single year and not have to go through the growing pains of building a contender? The NBA is so top heavy that the bottom half of the league, teams like the Bucks, Cavs, Clippers, and Kings, will always be bottom teir teams.

...and the Buss families deep-pocketed checkbook... It's easier to be GM in sports when you have an owner that is willing to shell out the clams.I have been saying this about the NBA for years. Unless you are the Lakers, Heat, Spurs, Bulls, or Celtics, you are not going to ever win a championship in this league. Why should the Lakers and Celtics be relentivent every single year and not have to go through the growing pains of building a contender? The NBA is so top heavy that the bottom half of the league, teams like the Bucks, Cavs, Clippers, and Kings, will always be bottom teir teams.

This is wrong. The NBA is "top heavy" because a top star has a much bigger impact on basketball than in any other sport. The celtics were mostly irrelevant from 1993 to 2007. The heat were irrelevant before Shaq got there (and now Lebron). The Bulls were irrelevant before Jordan, and then irrelevant for a decade until they got lucky with Rose. And if you told anyone in 1997 that the Spurs and the Mavs would win 5 out of 15 titles they'd laugh at you.So yes, the league is top heavy. But that doesn't mean that other teams don't have a shot. Hell, who would have ever thought that a team in Oklahoma City would be the current odds on favorite to win the title?

Things are about to change with the Luxury Tax penalties in the new CBA. Even the deep-pocketed owners will not be so quick to spend over the luxury tax anymore and have to pay an even heavier tax bill. Look what LA already did in dumping Odom for nothing just to save on this years tax bill.