• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What should we do? What will we do?

Wretch

Curious as to the consensus on what we SHOULD do? (Not including trade Joe/Marvin).  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

I think we all know what we'd do given the chance to move Marvin or Joe. What I'm just curious about is where the board stands on what direction we need to take right now. If you could pick one direction to go in, what would you like to see us do?Also, what do you all think will actually happen as we enter the next season.

Tweak and there is no way in hell we are trading Horford so trade Josh for a combination of a high lotto pick and a player or lotto picks and a player.Nothing else really makes sense. Get a playmaker PG and a true center and Go Hawks!

• Premium Member

I seem to have screwed up my own vote. But I would like to see us tweak/rebuild. There are a bunch of quality players out there, and I believe Horford would pull the right piece. But, I don't think we'll be dealing him and I don't think dealing him is the way to go. Even if we completely rebuild, he's one of the guys I'd keep (the other being Teague). That being said, I don't think we'll get the right kind of value for Smoove (Gasol and his mileage does not excite me). I think the best thing to do is start bringing in young talent.Realistically, I see the same starting unit walking out on the floor come fall.

I seem to have screwed up my own vote. But I would like to see us tweak/rebuild. There are a bunch of quality players out there, and I believe Horford would pull the right piece. But, I don't think we'll be dealing him and I don't think dealing him is the way to go. Even if we completely rebuild, he's one of the guys I'd keep (the other being Teague). That being said, I don't think we'll get the right kind of value for Smoove (Gasol and his mileage does not excite me). I think the best thing to do is start bringing in young talent.Realistically, I see the same starting unit walking out on the floor come fall.

The only pieces I want for Al is Dwight or Lebron. If he's not pulling one of them, he's not pulling the right piece. Therefore, Josh is our only legit option as he can get traded for less and probably won't bite us in the butt. Jeff needs to stay, you can't find great 6th man types like Jeff everywhere. He can at least start till we are ready to start the needed PG.Stay list:1. Al2. Jeff3. Joe4. Zaza5. Marvin6. Josh7. Ivan8. Hinrich9. Green10. Collins Edited by Joker

• Moderators

For me, it depends on what is available. My goal with this team would be to bridge us to new ownership. I would not do a total rebuild and would let new ownership decide which direction to go. I would look to improve the team (especially over the long-term) and to have optionality for new ownership.I would put a first priority on figuring out whether Josh wants to stay or not and then looking to move him if he wants to go - either for an attractive lottery pick or for a vet with a contract no longer than 3 years. If I didn't find the right options out there, I would hold him and see what came available during the season. If Josh wants to stay, I would bring in a new coach and tell Josh I am doing it because we want him to be a star and to do it in Atlanta and I would task that new coach with (in part) getting Josh to buy into his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. I would only deal him if I got blown away by an offer if he wants to stay (just as I would with anyone).With JJ, I would keep my ears open and if I found a good deal to escape the back half of that contract I would go for it but I would not think about amnestying JJ at this point and would want someone to work with him in the offseason to improve his ability to get to the line.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

It seems all the signs point to them doing nothing of significance which is utterly insane and boneheaded. They want things to appear as if there are still questions or uncertainties still lingering that greatly affect their decision making process. You think they're really "evaluating" the roster to see where they can improve? You really think they have no idea whether or not Josh is going to stay after next year? It's all buffalo chips and insulting to what little fanbase they have left. They know exactly what's going on with Josh and I'm starting to believe they will let him walk after the year. Furthermore, they are intent on allowing this "core" to run itself and the franchise right into the ground.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

For me, it depends on what is available. My goal with this team would be to bridge us to new ownership. I would not do a total rebuild and would let new ownership decide which direction to go. I would look to improve the team (especially over the long-term) and to have optionality for new ownership.I would put a first priority on figuring out whether Josh wants to stay or not and then looking to move him if he wants to go - either for an attractive lottery pick or for a vet with a contract no longer than 3 years. If I didn't find the right options out there, I would hold him and see what came available during the season. If Josh wants to stay, I would bring in a new coach and tell Josh I am doing it because we want him to be a star and to do it in Atlanta and I would task that new coach with (in part) getting Josh to buy into his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. I would only deal him if I got blown away by an offer if he wants to stay (just as I would with anyone).With JJ, I would keep my ears open and if I found a good deal to escape the back half of that contract I would go for it but I would not think about amnestying JJ at this point and would want someone to work with him in the offseason to improve his ability to get to the line.

I don't think a total rebuild is the way to go either. We've got some great pieces - it's just that the sum of all of our parts doesn't look like a serious playoff team. It's not exciting the fans either. I just don't see a realistic trade that makes us significantly better than what we are now. Nobody wants Marvin. Nobody wants JJ's big contract. And anybody trying to get Josh from us is going to lowball us.On Josh...personally, I'm not interested in letting him dictate what this team is going to do and I certainly wouldn't build a team with him as the centerpiece. He's an important part of the team, but only when he plays the right way. If we were keeping him, the last thing I'd do is bring back Larry Drew. He needs a real coach.I think the team needs to get younger and change direction. We need to cut our losses and start looking at the future. Not necessarily dump everyone, just start looking at breathing a new life into this core.

It seems all the signs point to them doing nothing of significance which is utterly insane and boneheaded. They want things to appear as if there are still questions or uncertainties still lingering that greatly affect their decision making process. You think they're really "evaluating" the roster to see where they can improve? You really think they have no idea whether or not Josh is going to stay after next year? It's all buffalo chips and insulting to what little fanbase they have left. They know exactly what's going on with Josh and I'm starting to believe they will let him walk after the year. Furthermore, they are intent on allowing this "core" to run itself and the franchise right into the ground.

Even though it's just us voting, I seem to get that feeling too. Like they are not going to change a damn thing. They're going to use Horford's injury as a scapegoat. What they're going to do is HOPE that this team can play well enough to convince Smoove that this is where he needs to be. Disregarding the fact that this team with our without Horf, doesn't look like it could get out of the 2nd round.

They are afraid of losing that playoff money.

Which is sad, but probably true too.

• Premium Member

I don't think a total rebuild is the way to go either. We've got some great pieces - it's just that the sum of all of our parts doesn't look like a serious playoff team. It's not exciting the fans either. I just don't see a realistic trade that makes us significantly better than what we are now. Nobody wants Marvin. Nobody wants JJ's big contract. And anybody trying to get Josh from us is going to lowball us.On Josh...personally, I'm not interested in letting him dictate what this team is going to do and I certainly wouldn't build a team with him as the centerpiece. He's an important part of the team, but only when he plays the right way. If we were keeping him, the last thing I'd do is bring back Larry Drew. He needs a real coach.I think the team needs to get younger and change direction. We need to cut our losses and start looking at the future. Not necessarily dump everyone, just start looking at breathing a new life into this core.Even though it's just us voting, I seem to get that feeling too. Like they are not going to change a damn thing. They're going to use Horford's injury as a scapegoat. What they're going to do is HOPE that this team can play well enough to convince Smoove that this is where he needs to be. Disregarding the fact that this team with our without Horf, doesn't look like it could get out of the 2nd round.Which is sad, but probably true too.

Regarding Josh, if what you say is true, it only further emphasizes the pure boneheadedness of ownership and management. It has been reported widely that Josh has a trade request that has been standing for over a year, maybe two. They think he'll change his mind by doing absolutely nothing? Sheer stupidity! It appears he's intent on leaving and the Hawks know it despite their efforts to either deny it or play dumb. Edited by Jody23

• Premium Member

They probably think that this team can reach the ECF's and pacify him and the fans. I get the feeling that this is less about winning and more about money. They're having a hard time generating interest with a halfway decent team. They certainly don't want to see what the numbers would look like with a 15 or 20 win team...AND no playoff money.This isn't about winning. Winning would require sacrifices right now and they are not willing to do that. They're also not willing to get the right coach in here or secure the right talent.

In 2014-15- Joe and Al alone are 35 million dollars in cap. That's without signing Smith or any other player. I truly see no way Joe will on this team for more than 2 more years but at the same time we need Joe right now. We can draft players in the future to take his job but for now, he's critical. We need him.