• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith and Marvin are likely still on the block

Joker

-- The Hawks are said to be one team placing calls to improve their draft position. They currently own the No. 23 pick. One GM said the Hawks floated the names of both Josh Smith and Marvin Williams as potential trade chips.-- One issue facing the Hawks, of course, is the status of GM Rick Sund. His contract expires at the end of the month, and his future with the team is unclear, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.-- As an aside, the Hawks only have six players under contract. So on top of the draft, they expect to be active in the free-agent market come July. Of the players under contract, Smith and Zaza Pachulia enter the season in the final year of their deals. Also, Williams has a player option next summer.-- Don’t be surprised if the Hawks make a run at former Sixth Man of the Year Jamal Crawford, who spent the past season with the Trail Blazers. Ray Allen (Celtics) and Alonzo Gee (Cavs) are also said to be on their radar.http://network.yardbarker.com/college_basketball/article_external/nba_rumors_draft_news_day_10/11048075Houston. You know what the deal is. 14, 16, take Scola off your hands and call it a day for both of us. A deal you win, we win, everyone wins.

-- The Hawks are said to be one team placing calls to improve their draft position. They currently own the No. 23 pick. One GM said the Hawks floated the names of both Josh Smith and Marvin Williams as potential trade chips.-- One issue facing the Hawks, of course, is the status of GM Rick Sund. His contract expires at the end of the month, and his future with the team is unclear, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.-- As an aside, the Hawks only have six players under contract. So on top of the draft, they expect to be active in the free-agent market come July. Of the players under contract, Smith and Zaza Pachulia enter the season in the final year of their deals. Also, Williams has a player option next summer.-- Don’t be surprised if the Hawks make a run at former Sixth Man of the Year Jamal Crawford, who spent the past season with the Trail Blazers. Ray Allen (Celtics) and Alonzo Gee (Cavs) are also said to be on their radar.http://network.yardb...day_10/11048075Houston. You know what the deal is. 14, 16, take Scola off your hands and call it a day for both of us. A deal you win, we win, everyone wins.

Sign me up for this deal.

#14/16 & Scola for Smith is a bad deal... I'd go for it if it was Lowry, but Scola is m'eh to me.I still gotta find a way to get Duck-Butt outta this city.

Lowry is a much better value than Scola but we need a playmaking PG not a defensive minded one and Houston is extremely likely to agree with Scola and two picks instead of Lowry and the two picks. It seems like a lost deal for us on value alone but Kendall Marshall and a center (Zeller, Leonard, Melo) is much better for us than it is for Houston due to our need for a playmaking PG and Houston has a deep cast of mid impact guys while we don't. We have three high impact players in Smith, Horf, and Joe. Edited by Joker

Trade Marvin to Cleveland for their late 1st to get us under the cap with 49 million dollars in salary and 9 million on the free market without using the MLE. We can try to land Jamal back or Ray Allen.

Edited by Joker

Trade Marvin to Cleveland for their late 1st to get us under the cap with 49 million dollars in salary and 9 million on the free market without using the MLE. We can try to land Jamal back or Ray Allen.

How do you figure we have 9 million to spend in free agengy if Marvin is traded. I think there are cap holds for draft picks and such which will lower that amount significantly. Edited by JayBirdHawk

Lowry is a much better value than Scola but we need a playmaking PG not a defensive minded one and Houston is extremely likely to agree with Scola and two picks instead of Lowry and the two picks. It seems like a lost deal for us on value alone but Kendall Marshall and a center (Zeller, Leonard, Melo) is much better for us than it is for Houston due to our need for a playmaking PG and Houston has a deep cast of mid impact guys while we don't. We have three high impact players in Smith, Horf, and Joe.

The problem with this is I don't see the Hawks taking a PG at all this draft. They trust and believe in Teague. Scola, Fab Melo, and Moe Harkless is not worth Smith IMO.

The problem with this is I don't see the Hawks taking a PG at all this draft. They trust and believe in Teague. Scola, Fab Melo, and Moe Harkless is not worth Smith IMO.

But at the same time, do you think that Josh is going to resign with the Hawks after next season? They need to get something for him while his value is at his highest or we will get nothing in return.

Scola's contract is way too long.

But at the same time, do you think that Josh is going to resign with the Hawks after next season? They need to get something for him while his value is at his highest or we will get nothing in return.

I agree, but I hate the deal. Scola is steadily declining, and we can get Fab Melo or another C already with our pick. Getting a pure PG to backup Teague and play ten minutes a game is not worth a first. Edited by GameTime
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

This exactly. The Hawks are fooling themselves if they think Josh will resign for more of the same. It's not happening. Moreover, the longer they wait, the worse the offers will get, especially if his numbers go down due to Horford's return which is likely. We already know the Warriors are interested and might part with the seventh pick. That may not be the deal to go for, but I don't imagine any offers being any better after the season has started.

How do you figure we have 9 million to spend in free agengy if Marvin is traded. I think there are cap holds for draft picks and such which will lower that amount significantly.

Damn, I forgot about that. I just sub Smith+Marvin contract from Scola and added our cap. I think the cap holds aren't that big but damnit, we would probably have six to five mil to spend :-(.Houston would win the deal since they get a star who is an expiring and they can resign Dragic and try to land D12 in 2013 FA class with all there cap space.

This exactly. The Hawks are fooling themselves if they think Josh will resign for more of the same. It's not happening. Moreover, the longer they wait, the worse the offers will get, especially if his numbers go down due to Horford's return which is likely. We already know the Warriors are interested and might part with the seventh pick. That may not be the deal to go for, but I don't imagine any offers being any better after the season has started.

Any deal where we have to take a bad contract that isn't even useful is a no go. At least Scola is useful.

I agree, but I hate the deal. Scola is steadily declining, and we can get Fab Melo or another C already with our pick. Getting a pure PG to backup Teague and play ten minutes a game is not worth a first.

Marshall would start over Teague and he's more NBA ready than most players in this class. Machado probably won't if that's who you are referring to? Edited by Joker

Sund doesn't believe in Jeff as a starting PG. He believes in him as a player. There might be one or two people in the whole organization that thinks Jeff is a starting NBA PG. Sund and Dave aren't naive like some of the posters on here.

Scola's contract is way too long.

It is but he's the type that will give you what he is doing now for the next 2 seasons. Nothing about his game uses athletic ability. Edited by Joker

Marshall would start over Teague and he's more NBA ready than most players in this class. Machado probably won't if that's who you are referring to?

You really see Hawks trading up for a PG when they are happy with Teague? I agree we need a pure point and Teague could excel in a 6th man role, but I just don't see us doing something like that.Edit: Teague will be extremely undersized at SG so i'm not even sure about the 6th man role. Edited by GameTime

Guest Walter

How do you figure we have 9 million to spend in free agengy if Marvin is traded. I think there are cap holds for draft picks and such which will lower that amount significantly.

We can't do it straight up but Caspi, Gibson (bad contract), and 24 for MW helps fill out our roster and allows us to take a more reasonable flyer on Fab Melo.W

You really see Hawks trading up for a PG when they are happy with Teague? I agree we need a pure point and Teague could excel in a 6th man role, but I just don't see us doing something like that.Edit: Teague will be extremely undersized at SG so i'm not even sure about the 6th man role.

Sund knows what we all know about Jeff. I heard on the radio doubt Teague's ability and was about to trade him but rather give up Jordan instead. Good move. Teague will be a better player than Jordan will ever be.Jeff will be a backup PG and spot mins at SG like Kirk did.

• Premium Member

Damn, I forgot about that. I just sub Smith+Marvin contract from Scola and added our cap. I think the cap holds aren't that big but damnit, we would probably have six to five mil to spend :-(.Houston would win the deal since they get a star who is an expiring and they can resign Dragic and try to land D12 in 2013 FA class with all there cap space.Any deal where we have to take a bad contract that isn't even useful is a no go. At least Scola is useful.

Here's the thing. If the price of getting a lottery pick is taking on a "bad contract" for maybe two years tops, I think it's worth it if you can get a player in the lottery who will be a vital piece in a few years. We have to think longterm. No matter what moves the Hawks make, they're not winning a championship in the next two years. This has to be a step by step process.