• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Do We Have Most to Offer Orlando For Dwight Howard?

BusBoyIsBack

Al Horford is my favorite player on this team but if we can put an offer on the table such as:Al HorfordJeff Teague3 1st round picks in 2 yearsI don't think any other team can match that within reason. And within reason I mean no team is goingto do something crazy like offer Westbrook, Harden, and 5 1st round picksJust like Lakers aren't going to even part ways with both Gasol and BynumOur offer dwarfs the Nets offer more than anything

• Moderators

We do have the best to offer Orlando, but we'd be stupid to trade for him... We'd be better off to hold out til next offseason and get him then. He knows there is an opportunity to come on home to the place that he famously said, "Philips Arena...should be my house." If he wants to be here, he won't sign an extension with whoever he gets traded to, that is, if he gets traded. Orlando will end up screwed in this and be bottom-feeder for a few seasons. Also, you can't trade picks from subquential years, so we'd have to give them the 2013's and then a 2015. Too much to give up when we can just be patient and sign him in 2013 w/ Paul.

We do have the best to offer Orlando, but we'd be stupid to trade for him... We'd be better off to hold out til next offseason and get him then. He knows there is an opportunity to come on home to the place that he famously said, "Philips Arena...should be my house." If he wants to be here, he won't sign an extension with whoever he gets traded to, that is, if he gets traded. Orlando will end up screwed in this and be bottom-feeder for a few seasons. Also, you can't trade picks from subquential years, so we'd have to give them the 2013's and then a 2015. Too much to give up when we can just be patient and sign him in 2013 w/ Paul.

Good tidbit on the subsequential years. The thing about waiting for free agency is that I think we have to beat a team like the Lakers to the punch. Or we can't let him go to the Nets. Let's face it some way or another the Magic ARE going to trade him They absolutely cannot let him walk for FREE. So since there will be a trade, we might as well be a part of it Edited by BusBoyIsBack

I would trade Josh Smith now and kill the Dwight noise before it even get's started. Dwight is a player you must surround with a go to offensive weapon and a creator it would cost too much to put this together the right way. The more I think about it I hope Dwight gets sent to the Lakers for Bynum and we some type of way send Josh to LA and end up in a 3 way getting something other than Pau. I am about to go see what I can cook up

Of course but the question is does Dwight want to extend. If so than yes, if not then no. To be frank, I would rather Horford over Bynum and Lopez any day of the week. I never thought much of Bynum or Lopez.

Edited by Joker

• Premium Member

It's a scary game we play.IF we say let's wait to get D-12 next year, what if D-12 goes somewhere else and convinces Smoove to go with him. That means we lose Smoove for nothing. IF we trade Horf/Teague and picks for D-12 this year, and he walks, we lose them for a rental.Right now, our negotiations are important.

It's a scary game we play. IF we say let's wait to get D-12 next year, what if D-12 goes somewhere else and convinces Smoove to go with him. That means we lose Smoove for nothing. IF we trade Horf/Teague and picks for D-12 this year, and he walks, we lose them for a rental. Right now, our negotiations are important.

But the thing is if we don't make a splash that may increase the chances that Josh Smith leaves ATL. Josh Smith doesn't want to be part of a re-building team. We need to show him we are committed to competing. And what more of a move that would make us legit contenders than getting the best big man in the game? And his hometown, childhood friend at that The Josh/Dwight combo increases the likelihood that they both stay. I think we risk losing them both if we don't have Dwight than if we do.

Josh Smith is not even worth bending over backwards to try and keep

Maybe not, but a chance to get a superstar caliber player IS worth it. The only way you win a title in this league is with superstar talent with maybe a couple of exceptions in the history of the game. If our biggest gripe with the team was 2nd round exits, then why not do everything we can to make a move that would put us above that ceiling?

I am so sick of hearing about Dwight Howard. I don't know why everyone here wants a self-centered, whiny, baby on this team. He constantly pouts and thinks he's entitled to everything in the world. He is a cancer and single handily ruined the Orlando Magic.

All of these people saying they don't want Howard are living in some kind of fantasy land. I'm not saying I think he will be a Hawk, but anyone who thinks the Hawks shouldn't do whatever they can to sign him are crazy. The only other way the Hawks will ever get a plyer of his caliber is by lucking into it through the draft. There are three possible scenarios: 1.) Magically sign Howard, CP3 and Josh to deals and try to win a championship. 2.) Do what we've been doing for the last decade - Building around marginal all stars and barely making the playoffs. 3.) Tanking and trying to luck into an MVP talent in the draft.It seems like a lot of you guys are arguing for the second option, which is completely insane.

Edited by thefloydian

All of these people saying they don't want Howard are living in some kind of fantasy land. I'm not saying I think he will be a Hawk, but anyone who thinks the Hawks shouldn't do whatever they can to sign him are crazy. The only other way the Hawks will ever get a plyer of his caliber is by lucking into it through the draft. There are three possible scenarios: 1.) Magically sign Howard, CP3 and Josh to deals and try to win a championship. 2.) Do what we've been doing for the last decade - Building around marginal all stars and barely making the playoffs. 3.) Tanking and trying to luck into an MVP talent in the draft. It seems like a lot of you guys are arguing for the second option, which is completely insane.

I'm not saying we shouldn't go after him, but a smart /strong case can definitely be made for not giving up a ton of assets for a possible one year rental with a back /head problem

Especially when he is more likely to sign here next year when we still have horford than to stay here if we give up an Allstar for himHe isn't getting traded anywhere that he wants to sign an extension for and Brooklyn can't afford him next summer so let him play out this year wherever and prove his back is fine and then get him and cp3 to pair up with al or maybe even al and smoove to form a big 3 or big 4

But the thing is if we don't make a splash that may increase the chances that Josh Smith leaves ATL. Josh Smith doesn't want to be part of a re-building team. We need to show him we are committed to competing. And what more of a move that would make us legit contenders than getting the best big man in the game? And his hometown, childhood friend at that The Josh/Dwight combo increases the likelihood that they both stay. I think we risk losing them both if we don't have Dwight than if we do.

What Josh is looking for more than anything else is appreciation. Thus far in his career, he has seen a strong finish to his rookie season result in the drafting of Marvin Williams. He has seen Rick Sund not make an offer to him outside of a qualifying offer and had to go out and get his offer from Memphis. He has seen the team foolishly give big money deals to both Marvin Williams and Joe Johnson since his signing. He wants to be appreciated, and I think Danny Ferry has started to bridge that gap that the previous regimes have left open.
  • Like 3

What Josh is looking for more than anything else is appreciation. Thus far in his career, he has seen a strong finish to his rookie season result in the drafting of Marvin Williams. He has seen Rick Sund not make an offer to him outside of a qualifying offer and had to go out and get his offer from Memphis. He has seen the team foolishly give big money deals to both Marvin Williams and Joe Johnson since his signing. He wants to be appreciated, and I think Danny Ferry has started to bridge that gap that the previous regimes have left open.

I think you right. I could definitely see that being the case. Let's hope that we somehow keep him.