• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Reality (Heat) Check: Howard not a Hawk

frankthetank966

The trade of Dwight Howard is a reality check for Hawks fans. Several fans have specluated that he Hawks would make a run for Dwight through a trade, or next year during free agency. Dwight has said all along that he would only go to a few teams. Atlanta was never mentioned as one of his favorite locations.Although Dwight Howard would rule this city and become the most popular athlete in Atlanta since Mike Vick, the likelyhook of him joining the Hawks has and always will be slim-to-none. The Hawks tried to acquire the 2004 first draft pick from the Magic when Dwight was selected. The Magic and Hawks couldn't work out a deal. According to the AJC the Hawks tried to acquire Dwight several times this off-season but the Magic didn't want to deal their superstar within their own division.Dwight wants to play for a big market team. The Hawks are a mid-market team at best. They cannot sell-out playoff games and despite having one of the best records in the NBA the past 5 years, they have one of the lowest attendance records.Danny Ferry has not done anything wrong, yet. He's gone above and beyond. Despite JJ being a 6x All Star, he had the NBA's worst contract. I would take JJ on the Hawks next year if he wasn't commanding a max contract. Ferry traded Marvin and his duckwalk for a potential top 5 PG. Parting ways with Williams allows Hawks fans to avoid "what could've been CP3 or Derron...".To say Ferry missed out is a strech. Superstars are rarely traded within their division in any sport. Best case scenario the Hawks will be able to convince CP3 to sign with the team in free agency next year. CP3 said he was drafted that he wanted to play in Atlanta. One can argue that a lineup with CP3, Horford and Smith is better than a lineup with Smith, Howard and Teague.Be prepared for the unexpected.

• Like 1

ok the rumor is hawks wanted howard the majic gm wanted to b a kid and say no were not trading in our divsion they would not even let farry talk to howard its not farrys fault

Did u text that in from ur phone?

I still say Howard will be a Hawk next year. Why?

As they were saying on ESPN radio today... (Which they were upset because they think DH12 doesn't want to be a Laker and we know how much ESPN wants him to be a Laker. lol)

back to my point.

[*]DH12 quote: "I want to be the first to do it" Being a Laker will not make him the first to do it.

[*]They talked about how he doesn't like Kobe.

[*]How he wouldn't say he would like to resign with the Lakers... after being asked the question in so many ways.

Hawks fans... He is coming. You heard it here first. Posted Image

• Like 1

• Moderators

As they were saying on ESPN radio today... (Which they were upset because they think DH12 doesn't want to be a Laker and we know how much ESPN wants him to be a Laker. lol)

back to my point.

[*]DH12 quote: "I want to be the first to do it" Being a Laker will not make him the first to do it.

[*]How he wouldn't say he would like to resign with the Lakers... after being asked the question in so many ways.

Plus him saying that "the Philips Arena should be his house". Two of his best friends in the league are on the Hawks, Atlanta is his hometown, Atlanta has cap space and a obvious problem with the center position. Sign Dwight in 2013, slide Horford to his rightful position at 4, and let Smoove be the 3. Best frontcourt in the league. We'd average 40+ rebounds/game with that frontcourt. Glad am not the only one with a positive attitude on this... Posted Image
  • Like 1

Plus him saying that "the Philips Arena should be his house". Two of his best friends in the league are on the Hawks, Atlanta is his hometown, Atlanta has cap space and a obvious problem with the center position. Sign Dwight in 2013, slide Horford to his rightful position at 4, and let Smoove be the 3. Best frontcourt in the league. We'd average 40+ rebounds/game with that frontcourt. Glad am not the only one with a positive attitude on this... Posted Image

I would love that...

The only bad thing about that is that I think we might end up trading Teague and Al to the Lakers. CP3 will be out PG.

back to my point.

Dwight says a lot of things.

Let's not forget that Atlanta will have enough cap space to sign TWO max free agents.CP3 wanted to come here when he was drafted and so did DH. They both want to play together.All DH has to do is look at how old Nash and Kobe are getting and that their respective games are falling off.Sterling has a reputation for screwing things up. CP knows that.I'm going to start a twitter campaign after the season but before free agency starts. It can't hurt. If nothing else, we can say we tried.

• Moderators

It's highly unlikely Dwight turns down the extra year the Lakers could offer. The only thing we could do is send the Lakers Al Horford and Josh Smith for Dwight.

There would be no sign and trade with the Lakers unless we are just dumping salary. The contract Howard would sign is the same if he signs with us outright or if the Lakers sign and trade him to us. Thus, there is no benefit to Dwight to having us ship value to LA. I have a hard time believing that Dwight will turn down the bonus in his shoe contract and leave LA for anywhere he isn't getting the bonus but he is a young guy who obviously doesn't have a firm grasp on his priorities so who knows where his head will be. Personally, I have now given up the hope of making a run at him next offseason.