• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Only trade for Rudy Gay if we can get D12

reeballin4

We should only pursue Rudy Gay if we can somehow acquire D12 in the offseason. Horford is solid but D12 is an upgrade and what our team needs, a defensive center. We could trade Horford in order to get draft picks/cap space and more utility players. Trade Devin Harris, Anthony Morrow, and Kyle Korver for Rudy Gay and Selby/Wroten. We could sign Morrow in the offseason when he becomes a free agent, we need shooters, and Korver has stated that he isn't that big on Atlanta so he probably wouldn't resign.

Teague/Lou

Jenkins

Gay

Smoove/Ivan/Scott

D12/Zaza

We would still have cap space and plenty of draft picks to use in a package trade to get a high lottery pick and select a wing player (Shabazz, McLemore).

Thoughts please? Don't bash

I agree. People are talking about trading for Gay would take Atlanta out of the Dwight sweepstakes but that simply isn't true. Ferry could VERY easily fetch a pretty good haul for Al considering his production, contract length and leadership. Teams like Houston/Sacramento/Charlotte/Washington/Orlando/Portland etc. would have no issue flipping their picks and prospects into Al rather than hoping that anyone near comparable would be both available in free agency and would be willing to sign there.

• Premium Member

I would not be opposed to trading Al if it meant adding guys that would improve the team. That being said, even if we get Dwight somehow, we need to find another front court player who can start and is a strong rebounder. I like Josh, but any team with him as the starting four is going to be a weak rebounding team.

Any team with Josh will not be a championship team UNLESS that said team has a respected coach that demands discipline. If it were up to me, I trade Josh yesterday and keep Al. Al, while off and on at times, has a championship caliber skill set. I can't take the pea brain stuff anymore from Brick.

• Like 1

I would keep Smoove at 4, he's dynamic and I agree we need a coach who could demand discipline. LD is good but not great. Zaza and Ivan can crash the boards. I don't understand why Ivan gets inconsistent minutes, he's a tough player, and Zaza plays hard most of the time. Hoford is a great player but IMO he plays too stiff. His defense has slipped and with D12, Smoove would be excellent because he would mostly be playing help defense which would allow him to get more blocks.

• Admin

Any team with Josh will not be a championship team UNLESS that said team has a respected coach that demands discipline. If it were up to me, I trade Josh yesterday and keep Al. Al, while off and on at times, has a championship caliber skill set. I can't take the pea brain stuff anymore from Brick.

Al and Howard are better compliments then smith and Howard. Yes, in that scenario it is better to have Al then Smith. I like that team of Gay/Al//Howard .However Howard is not coming here anyway

• Premium Member

I would keep Smoove at 4, he's dynamic and I agree we need a coach who could demand discipline. LD is good but not great. Zaza and Ivan can crash the boards. I don't understand why Ivan gets inconsistent minutes, he's a tough player, and Zaza plays hard most of the time. Hoford is a great player but IMO he plays too stiff. His defense has slipped and with D12, Smoove would be excellent because he would mostly be playing help defense which would allow him to get more blocks.

If you keep Smith at four, the rebounding woes will continue unless you have two other guys on the floor who are exceptional rebounders. Let's not forget, not only is he undersized at the four, but he's also not a strong rebounder at the position.

Al and Howard are better compliments then smith and Howard. Yes, in that scenario it is better to have Al then Smith. I like that team of Gay/Al//Howard .However Howard is not coming here anyway

I agree Howard is not coming here. I was saying this even when he was on the Magic. Not happening. But.... I do feel like Ferry still is making decisions with Dwight in mind which is why I think opportunities might get overlooked like Gay. I think we need to take advantage of opportunities as we can and worry about the bigger pieces if those chances were to arise.

I don't know, Dwight to ATL looks better by the day. He's already feuding with Kobe and it'll take a Herculean stretch of wins for the Lakers to get back in playoff contention yet alone championship contention. The money is a great incentive but then Dwight doesn't strike me as the type to want to live with the extra headaches that come along with it out there in LA. Atlanta is just the type of low-expectation franchise that Dwight would desire than the high-pressure Lakers.......why exactly would you want this type of of player is an entirely different question but meh, we've coddled Josh for this long, why not?

I don't know, Dwight to ATL looks better by the day. He's already feuding with Kobe and it'll take a Herculean stretch of wins for the Lakers to get back in playoff contention yet alone championship contention. The money is a great incentive but then Dwight doesn't strike me as the type to want to live with the extra headaches that come along with it out there in LA. Atlanta is just the type of low-expectation franchise that Dwight would desire than the high-pressure Lakers.......why exactly would you want this type of of player is an entirely different question but meh, we've coddled Josh for this long, why not?

Exactly! Why do we even want Dwight anymore. He is damaged goods.

• Premium Member

Regardless of any personal feelings one might have, when healthy both mentally and physically, Dwight Howard is the best center in the league. Right now, he's obviously not at full strength physically and the situation in L.A. has to be taxing mentally to a degree. If he recovers physically, the Hawks would be beyond dumb not to fully pursue him. In a weak Eastern Conference (especially on the interior) he automatically makes the Hawks contenders not to mention the Hawks are going to make other moves to make them even stronger. Right now, folks in LA are making Dwight the scapegoat for the woefulness, but the truth is the Lakers have been in steady decline for a while with older declining players on big contracts. Things are not going to get better there which is why Dwight would be crazy to re-sign as they will continue to make him the scapegoat.

• Moderators

Regardless of any personal feelings one might have, when healthy both mentally and physically, Dwight Howard is the best center in the league. Right now, he's obviously not at full strength physically and the situation in L.A. has to be taxing mentally to a degree. If he recovers physically, the Hawks would be beyond dumb not to fully pursue him. In a weak Eastern Conference (especially on the interior) he automatically makes the Hawks contenders not to mention the Hawks are going to make other moves to make them even stronger. Right now, folks in LA are making Dwight the scapegoat for the woefulness, but the truth is the Lakers have been in steady decline for a while with older declining players on big contracts. Things are not going to get better there which is why Dwight would be crazy to re-sign as they will continue to make him the scapegoat.

I have to agree there. Unless they are somehow able to unload Peace and Gasol for some younger stars Dwight may decide that his chances at a title aren't too good in LA. Of course I'm not discounting them this year yet. As much as i don't like D'antoni they are still going to be tough to beat in the playoffs (provided they make it).

Dwight is taking a lot of criticism but hell he had 26 boards last night. 3rd or 4th game with 20+ rebounds. Who else does that?

• Premium Member

I have to agree there. Unless they are somehow able to unload Peace and Gasol for some younger stars Dwight may decide that his chances at a title aren't too good in LA. Of course I'm not discounting them this year yet. As much as i don't like D'antoni they are still going to be tough to beat in the playoffs (provided they make it). Dwight is taking a lot of criticism but hell he had 26 boards last night. 3rd or 4th game with 20+ rebounds. Who else does that?

Agreed. I don't want to totally write them off either, but something is very wrong there.And as much as I value Horford and feel he and Dwight would be an awesome 4-5 combination, I realize the Hawks might deal him to strengthen the backcourt and to try to make the situation more appealing to Dwight.