• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Suns interested in Josh for Gortat

I really don't think Ferry is that dumb to be willing to accept an trade like that.Posted Image

But then again, we are the Atlanta Hawks...

No...giving Josh a max deal that he says he thinks he is worth is doing things the old Atlanta Hawks way. New GM - new philosphy.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Excellent BleacherReport (yeah I know) article on this trade from the Suns perspective...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1510397-phoenix-suns-trading-for-josh-smith-would-be-big-step-toward-building-a-winner

Phoenix Suns Trading for Josh Smith Would Be Big Step Toward Building a Winner

With the NBA trade winds reaching near hurricane force as the Feb. 21 trade deadline draws closer, the Phoenix Suns appear ready to make the kind of splash unseen in the desert for quite some time.

According to what multiple league sources told HOOPSWORLD.com's Alex Kennedy, the Suns have their sights on Atlanta Hawks forward Josh Smith.

The 27-year-old impending free agent has emerged as the latest target for a Suns franchise that has tried to acquire both Rudy Gay and Eric Gordon over the past year. With an uncertain future ahead of them following the offseason departure of Steve Nash, the team is desperately seeking a new face of the franchise, a role the club appears to have confidence in Smith filling.

The versatile forward will not be short on suitors, with Kennedy mentioning the Houston Rockets, Charlotte Bobcats and Dallas Mavericks as other potential trade partners for the Hawks. But no other club may be able to match the blend of proven talent, financial flexibility and draft picks that the Suns can offer.

A Suns' package would almost certainly start with their 28-year-old center, MarcinGortat. The 6'11", 240-pound presence could prove the ultimate complement for Al Horford, while also pushing him back to his natural power forward spot. With Dwight Howard in Los Angeles and Andrew Bynum yet to play a game for the Philadelphia 76ers, the Hawks could feature one of the premier frontcourts in the Eastern Conference.

The Suns have some intriguing options to bolster Atlanta's wings, with Jared Dudley and Michael Beasley leading that charge. Dudley is the safer of the two options, but the tantalizing potential of the 24-year-old Beasley could prove worth the risk for Atlanta.

Phoenix can sweeten the deal with any number of expiring contracts.

Wes Johnson brings the largest cap relief ($4.3 million), but has been virtually non-existent this season and would offer nothing more than future flexibility. If Atlanta wants a player with both an expiring deal and potential production, Shannon Brown (his $3.5 million salary for next season is not guaranteed), Sebastian Telfair and Jermaine O'Neal are all possibilities.

The Suns also hold three valuable first-round picks in the upcoming draft. Their own selection may wind up as the sweetest (at 16-30, the Suns are tied for the sixth-worst record in the league), but picks from the Los Angeles Lakers (20-26) and MinnesotaTimberwolves (17-25) grow more valuable by the day.

If the Suns can acquire Smith and re-sign him over the summer, Kennedy projects the club could still have nearly $20 million in cap space left over. The team would likely make a charge at one of the premier free agents (including Smith's friend, Dwight Howard), but a host of intriguing second-tier options exist at perimeter (Monta Ellis, Andre Iguodala or O.J. Mayo) and interior (Al Jefferson, Nikola Pekovic and PaulMillsap) positions.

Phoenix has appeared lost at times this season, and the direction of the franchise remains unclear in the post-Nash era. The team recently fired head coach Alvin Gentry and promoted Lindsey Hunter to interim coach, with the latter being tasked with developing the Suns' young talent.

While this is far from unseen for a rebuilding team, it takes on a curious tone considering the lack of budding stars on the roster. Other than Beasley, sophomore Markieff Morris is the only regular contributor under the age of 25.

But that also means that this team has the veteran presence in place to complement a superstar (or two) and while there are reservations about Smith's attitude, no one is quite certain how he would handle the first move of his NBA career.

He's clearly worn out his welcome in Atlanta, but has done so while carrying a disproportionate share of the blame for any struggles of the franchise. He's longed for an embrace from the franchise and the fanbase, and the star-gazing Suns would make him their unquestioned leader for the near future.

Phoenix owner Robert Sarver begrudgingly admitted that the team is in a rebuilding phase (via arizonasports.com), but he can gladly rid his franchise of the label if it can pull off this heist.

I don't know about y'all but I wouldn't mind taking a look at Beasley either. He's really interested me ever since he was back in Miami and made is look pretty bad with the terrific offensive moves that he had. He's still really young and is extremely versatile and I think we could get away with his lack of defense with Gortat and Horford protecting the rim.

No...giving Josh a max deal that he says he thinks he is worth is doing things the old Atlanta Hawks way. New GM - new philosphy.

As a player, you want the most money you can get, regardless if you're good or bad. Josh did not go out of his way and say it. Someone asked, and he said yes "I think i'm worth the max" - just like any other NBA player would do..

That being said, who know's what kind of contract he is willing to take - I guess you all know him pretty well and know exactly what he is thinkning.

I wouldn't mind trading Smoove, but not for desperate changes. As much as I like Gortat, he is not the guy I want going forward in the future with the Hawks.

• Like 2

Josh saying he is worth max = Josh getting a max?

Only way Josh gets close to the max is if he nets us Dwight. Call that an incentive. Ferry knows this.

• Like 1

This is a very exciting possibility...we would be a better team all the way around if any permutations of this rumor were to go down.

I'm on board.

Give me the Phoenix and LA pick and im down. Gortat is gonna want max money next year and he doesn't make us a better team. Bigger does not = better. Miami is one of the smaller team in the league and they are champions. In this era speed > size.

I don't know about y'all but I wouldn't mind taking a look at Beasley either. He's really interested me ever since he was back in Miami and made is look pretty bad with the terrific offensive moves that he had. He's still really young and is extremely versatile and I think we could get away with his lack of defense with Gortat and Horford protecting the rim.

Hell no he is a lazy knucklehead and has been 1 of the worst players this season. He has been force fed mins in the beginning with a starting spot as a number 1 option on offense and now he is almost out of the rotation. He has worst offensive win shares than smoove. smoove (-0.7) Beasley (-1.3). He has been on 3 teams in 4 years and no1 has been able to tap his potential not even rick adelman.

Marcin Gortat is averaging 15.7 points and 9.9 rebounds this through 62 games this season. Those are pretty impressive numbers by most standards. But it isn't enough for Suns fans who are beginning to question the Polish Machine more and more. Accusations of being soft and and pining for the pre-All-Star Break Gortat are becoming more and more popular. While these feelings are not completely without reason, they are premature and over-reactionary.

A lot of Sun fans do not like him, and is the person always being blamed like Smoove is. This clip is from last season. Does this sound like anyone you know? It's crazy people are this desperate, and think Big means good.

Al & Gortat together? No thanks.

Edited by AHawks89

A lot of Sun fans do not like him, and is the person always being blamed like Smoove is. This clip is from last season. Does this sound like anyone you know? It's crazy people are this desperate, and think Big means good.

Al & Gortat together? No thanks.

what clip lol?

As a player, you want the most money you can get, regardless if you're good or bad. Josh did not go out of his way and say it. Someone asked, and he said yes "I think i'm worth the max" - just like any other NBA player would do..

That being said, who know's what kind of contract he is willing to take - I guess you all know him pretty well and know exactly what he is thinkning.

I wouldn't mind trading Smoove, but not for desperate changes. As much as I like Gortat, he is not the guy I want going forward in the future with the Hawks.

We know he is thinking he is worth the max - enough said. Ferry will not sign him to the max, so what is the alternative - trade, let him walk or get a TPE.

Guys don't throw out they think they are worth the max and not expect to ask for it. Even if he gets us D12 he is still not worth the max especially under the new CBA.

I want to see Josh Smith on another team. Not because I dislike Josh. I'm a big fan. I want to see Josh in another uniform because I think it would benefit him. He would be GREAT on a western conference team. Don't know if The Suns are the team but hey.

Gortat is not as good as smith especially since Steve Nash isn't their but I don't know If I would take on Beasley.

We know he is thinking he is worth the max - enough said. Ferry will not sign him to the max, so what is the alternative - trade, let him walk or get a TPE.

Guys don't throw out they think they are worth the max and not expect to ask for it. Even if he gets us D12 he is still not worth the max especially under the new CBA.

So you know what Smoove is thinking, and you know that Smoove will not take a contract that is not maxed? Please pass the crystal ball over here, I want one, too!

Posted Image

Edited by AHawks89

Give me the Phoenix and LA pick and im down. Gortat is gonna want max money next year and he doesn't make us a better team. Bigger does not = better. Miami is one of the smaller team in the league and they are champions. In this era speed > size.

Gortat is signed for 7.5 million each of the next 2 years with a player option for a 3rd year at 7.5 million. Best case for him is that in 2015/2016 he declines the player option and gets a new contract, which would probably be around 8-10 million for 3-4 years as right now he's 28 and not getting any younger.

So you know what Smoove is thinking, and you know that Smoove will not take a contract that is not maxed? Please pass the crystal ball over here, I want one, too!

All I can go is by what he said nothing more nothing less - Josh THINKS he is worth the max.

Hell no he is a lazy knucklehead and has been 1 of the worst players this season. He has been force fed mins in the beginning with a starting spot as a number 1 option on offense and now he is almost out of the rotation. He has worst offensive win shares than smoove. smoove (-0.7) Beasley (-1.3). He has been on 3 teams in 4 years and no1 has been able to tap his potential not even rick adelman.

Hmm that is pretty bad, but I wonder how he'd do on a good team though? I'm sure that I am romanticizing his offensive potential, but I can't get that young Beasley out of my mind and how skilled he was at scoring at 6'10.