• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Smoove, Al, & Teague

AHawks89

Please keep talking about next off season and the players we should add. I have been this teams biggest critic, but come on! Let's enjoy this current Hawks team and hope they can find some magic in the playoffs.

Last time I checked we were tied for third in fast break points and our transition D is much better than average. It's no coincidence that Ferry's here and we play a Spurs-style of ball of passing the ball and making consistent, crisp defensive rotations. Give LD a little love at least.

I agree that Ferry has an impact, and LD deserves some credit. I think those stats have improved dramatically that we don't have Joe anymore. Loved him, but he held us back in those areas.

Please keep talking about next off season and the players we should add. I have been this teams biggest critic, but come on! Let's enjoy this current Hawks team and hope they can find some magic in the playoffs.

I'm guilty! I'm as happy as anyone! Carpe Diem!

Please stop talking about next off season and the players we should add. I have been this teams biggest critic, but come on! Let's enjoy this current Hawks team and hope they can find some magic in the playoffs.

edit

Josh isn't Joe Johnson. He won't leave a preferred situation and go to a subpar one for more money. He wants to win.

Joe Johnson left the Hawks, or was going to leave to go to a lesser team ( join Melo in NYC or join Rose in Chicago )? That's news to me. I thought the team traded him? I guess I was wrong.

Teague has the great combo of that scoop shot or dunking on your head. His split-second decision making has improved drastically. What can you say about the two headed demon monster in the frontcourt? They feeling it. I swear you can feel the better chemistry and energy between the three without Joey.

They're playing great basketball no doubt. But the chemistry just came about after Smith got suspended. Since then, Horford has taken more charge and dramatically elevated his play. Teague has been ultra aggressive and really excelled in transition. And Smith has only had 3 subpar shooting games all month.

It's only been a 10 game stretch, but it's good to see. That's 3 in a row for this road trip. Then the STATEMENT GAME comes Sunday

Joe Johnson left the Hawks, or was going to leave to go to a lesser team ( join Melo in NYC or join Rose in Chicago )? That's news to me. I thought the team traded him? I guess I was wrong.

Oh . . maybe you're talking about JJ leaving Phoenix to go to Atlanta.

Well . . . you ARE talking about going from 3 million a year to 20 million a year in that 1st year in ATL. And a difference between a 70 million deal and the 45 million deal that Phoenix wanted to give JJ.

As for Smith, we'll see what happens. When Milwaukee or Houston or Cleveland come courting him with a 4 year MAX deal, we'll see what the Hawks will offer him and if Smith will stay or go.

what were you paying attention to when he was a FA ??? we had to sign him to the max so he wouldn't leave for Chi or NY for less

what were you paying attention to when he was a FA ??? we had to sign him to the max so he wouldn't leave for Chi or NY for less

No we didn't.

That was the Hawks simply giving him that 6th year to keep him in Atlanta. The Hawks had already committed to give him max money ( as were NY and possibly Chicago ). They just tacked on the 6th year to sweeten the pot.

I seriously doubt that JJ would've turned down a 6 yr - 110 million deal from the Hawks, and take a 5 yr - 95 mill deal to go to Chicago. JJ wasn't itching to leave the Hawks . . ever.

But back to the love fest of Horford - Smith - Teague

Horford has scored 20+ points in the last 7 games . . . and is shooting a blistering 68% FG during that stretch. Hawks have a 6 - 1 record during this stretch as well.

By the way . .

Hawks record when Horford scores 20+ points in a game this season . . .

16 - 2 . . . . With the only 2 losses coming vs the Miami Heat

And to illustrate which is more important to the Hawks . . Josh's scoring . . or Josh's rebounding

Hawks are 10 - 7 when Josh scores 20 or more points

Hawks are 15 - 3 when Josh grabs 11 or more rebounds.

Hawks are 14 - 4 when Josh dishes out 6 or more assists.

Josh . . . embrace your inner Shawn Marion/Scottie Pippen

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Oh . . maybe you're talking about JJ leaving Phoenix to go to Atlanta. Well . . . you ARE talking about going from 3 million a year to 20 million a year in that 1st year in ATL. And a difference between a 70 million deal and the 45 million deal that Phoenix wanted to give JJ. As for Smith, we'll see what happens. When Milwaukee or Houston or Cleveland come courting him with a 4 year MAX deal, we'll see what the Hawks will offer him and if Smith will stay or go.

Seeing as how Howard will be Houston's number one target, I think you can strike them from offering Smoove as max contract, especially after over paying both Lin and Asik going into this new CBA in addition to Harden's max deal. Sure, Milwaukee and Cleveland can offer it, but again, Smoove is not going to a losing situation for more money. Yes he wants to get paid, but he wants to win badly as well and he loves the ATL. Although he knows he is headed toward free agency, I think there is a reason he admittedly was sweating bullets about being traded, even though among the rumored destinations were Houston, Pheonix and Milwaukee. Though not definitive, that says something. Perhaps he feels comfortable with taking less since ATL can offer a 5th year as opposed to anyone else which would allow the Hawks to add more difference makers to what they already have. Edited by Jody23

Seeing as how Howard will be Houston's number one target, I think you can strike them from offering Smoove as max contract, especially after over paying both Lin and Asik going into this new CBA in addition to Harden's max deal. Sure, Milwaukee and Cleveland can offer it, but again, Smoove is not going to a losing situation for more money. Yes he wants to get paid, but he wants to win badly as well and he loves the ATL. Although he knows he is headed toward free agency, I think there is a reason he admittedly was sweating bullets about being traded, even though among the rumored destinations were Houston, Pheonix and Milwaukee. Though not definitive, that says something. Perhaps he feels comfortable with taking less since ATL can offer a 5th year as opposed to anyone else which would allow the Hawks to add more difference makers to what they already have.

Jody . . . are you saying that Smith is going to give us a "hometown discount"?

Keep in mind that the Hawks back in 2008 virtually made Smith find his own deal, instead of offering him a deal to his liking. And this year, Ferry tried to trade him before the deadline.

But because he and the team is starting to have a real good 2 week stretch, he's going to give us a discount, as opposed to go to a team like Houston? A team that plays even faster than we do, has a young superstar, and is a franchise that has won a championship before.

The Lakers are going to MAX out Dwight, so they're going to make him turn down that extra 30 million that they can pay him. If he stays in LA, Smith becomes Houston's #1 target. And they can easily afford to max out Smith, and team him up with Harden, Lin, and Asik. Other than playing in ATL, it's actually the perfect scenario for him.

The key to negotiations with Smith in Atlanta will be if he views himself as the best player on the team. If that's the case, he'll be looking to get as much money as possible. He isn't going to settle for an Al Horford like 5 yr - 60 mill contract, just so that the Hawks can stay together. Not when Houston, and a team like Cleveland ( who also has a young superstar in Kyrie Irving ) can and will go all out for him.

• Premium Member

Interesting take from Steve Kyler on my question regarding Josh and the offseason:Jody Is there a strong chance Josh Smith re-signs with the ATL this off season or do you think theres a stronger chance he goes elsewhere?Steve KylerStrong? no.But the Hawks have had this view where can Josh really go? Outside of Houston who just traded for Thomas Robinson all of the teams that can offer him big money are either lottery bound or are smaller markets. The Hawks hope that being able to offer more money and allow Josh to pick teammates can sway him into a new deal.If not, theyll look to sign and trade him where he wants to go and maybe get something back for him.