YOU be the GM. Who do you guys want in the Summer of 2013?

TheNorthCydeRises

I guess my wish list is similar to some:

1. Resign Teague and Korver and Ivan, Zaza

2. 2 possible 1st round draft picks - haven't kept up with college players so I have no clue who to draft, probably a SF or anybody who can score and score some more anywhere on the floor.

3. Resign Josh to a NON-MAX contract with the following caveat - play the right way, "Be the mortar and stop trying to be the Keystone" or Ferry can trade him at the deadline for young players and picks (a signed Josh will be easier to trade)

4. Offer contracts to RFA's Peckovic, Tiago Splitter, Tomofey Mozgov and Corey Brewer

5. Offer contracts to FA's Jefferson and Dalembert

6. I guess I should add Mayo, but NBASuperstar40 has got me hating the kid for absolutely no reason...lol.

This is on par with my wishlist. Except you have to resign Josh to legitimize the defense. Golden State is hell bent not to pay the tax and that's where Jack and Rush (4m option) come into to play. I would be happy to match the 4 million a year for Rush and wait on his recovery. Splitter along with the other two really accentuates the core 3 I feel.

Mayo I compare to Jefferson. They produce alot of empty numbers and play poor defense You will need very strong help defenders to make it work. They will also demand 10-14 million a year.

Mayo is actually a pretty good defender. I agree on Jefferson though. Jefferson is only helpful because he gives us a low-post presense.

Don't blow flexibility on mediocre talent at a high price. We obviously won't be able to do all of the following, nor should we, as I don't think all of these additions added together would get us anywhere near a championship. Our only real trade chips are Al and Lou, barring a sign and trade of Smith or Teague. Sadly, after last night, I have accepted that the only way to really win is to have a superstar, and another high level star player. I'm really bummed out that we couldn't even give Miami at least a close game last night.

However, here are some possibilities to consider:

[*]Make a stab at Pekovic, but no max contract (Start at around $11 million?). (I expect Minnesota will match almost any offer.) [*]Consider an offer for Blatche, starting at about $7.5 million. [*]Pursue J.J. Hickson starting around $9 million. [*]Attempt to re-sign Teague starting at around $7.5 million. However, Teague's inconsistency is becoming troublesome to me. [*]Attempt to re-sign Korver at around $4.5 million. [*]Make a stab at O.J. Mayo, starting at around $7.5 million. [*]I have some concerns about Zaza's ongoing achilles problems. Might let him walk. [*]Offer Harris up to $3 million, but no more. [*]Attempt to sign and trade Josh, but if nothing good is offered, let him walk. (Perhaps something involving DeAndre Jordan or Javale McGee and change.) [*]Looks like we'll have to get our "superstars" via the draft. [*]Obviously we wouldn't be able to secure all of the above players, so you hope for the best, but do not significantly overpay for anyone. No more Joe contracts. If you pay superstar money, get a superstar. [*]Get a new coach. Drew does not have what it takes to consistently motivate the team to play well. Has poor substitution patterns. [*]Attempt to acquire an experienced playmaker, such as Miller or Calderon. [*]Get an "eraser" at center. (Hence the Smith for Jordan or McGee reference above. Dikembe, where are you?) [*]Hope that Danny Ferry doesn't replace BK's formula of all 6'7" - 6'9" forwards with all 6'0" - 6'3" guards.

Boy, this was a rambling, "stream of consciousness" (sp?) post wasn't it?

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 1

Posted Image Reading is fundamental - Dalembert is listed as free agent target in some posts...

I cannot understand why noone is talking about Dalembert, he is a true 7 footer that can protect the paint and is d doing fine when given minutes at Milwaukee, he would be wonderful for us.

I cannot understand why noone is talking about Dalembert, he is a true 7 footer that can protect the paint and is d doing fine when given minutes at Milwaukee, he would be wonderful for us.

I think Dally should be a target as a possible replacement to Zaza but he's not a starting quality center unless you have superstar talent around him. He's good for rebounding and defense only, but in limited minutes. I wouldn't expect him to be as good as he's playing now in extended minutes. He's had opportunities like that before and hasn't proven himself. I say that and I honestly like Dally and think he may be a good backup option IF he can be had for a reasonable salary.

Posted Image Reading is fundamental - Dalembert is listed as free agent target in some posts...

Sorry but I have just seen really a couple of times him been called as a possible target and really outside of Howard he is the better defensive center out there, paired with Horford, Teague and a quality wing he could be a really productive player an be again a 10 ppg, 10 rpg, 2 bpg player.

Again every team will be required to spend 52 million or more for next year. I'm guessing they'll raise the luxury tax threshold a few million higher in the future.

It might be smarter to just build a deep team or around one mega star. The Big 3 phenomenon hard to manage. Even if you do build one like the Lakers top 3, it doesn't even guarantee the playoffs.

Minimum team salary

2005 CBA: Teams must spend at least 75 percent of the salary cap.

2011 CBA: Teams must spend at least 85 percent of the cap in 2011-12 and 2012-13, and at least 90 percent of the cap in later years of the agreement.

Who benefits? The players. Although it was once rare for teams to be below the salary cap, it became more common in the latter years of the 2005 agreement as teams struggled to cope with financial markets. For example, the Sacramento Kings traded for Marquis Daniels at the 2011 trade deadline because their payroll was below the 75 percent minimum. By raising the salary floor, teams are required to spend more money on player salaries.

The higher salary floor could also affect teams' amnesty decisions. Teams might decide to hang on to high-salaried players rather than amnesty them in order to meet the new minimum team salary requirements.

Edited by Kimsey