• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

YOU be the GM. Who do you guys want in the Summer of 2013?

TheNorthCydeRises

You are Danny Ferry. You have Al Horford, John Jenkins, and Lou Williams currently under contract. And you possibly have two 1st round draft picks to add to the roster, depending on if Houston can slip into the playoffs.

So that's 8 spots left ( at minimum ) to add to the team. You have somewhere around 39 million to work with, if you decide to renounce all remaining unrestricted contracts on the Hawks ( which includes Smith, Teague, and Zaza ).

Who do you add? And list what you'd pay each guy in that 1st year.

Here are the list of names, or write in your own name(s). Be realistic about who we can get, and who you KNOW isn't coming here. Matter of fact, I'll take out two names you CANNOT USE

- Chris Paul

- Dwight Howard

You don't have to list all 8 names if you don't want to. Just list the main guys you want from this list and the 1st year salary you'd pay him. Also, don't forget about our own guys that you may or may not want to bring back.

Here's the 2013 free agent list of names, along with which players are Unrestricted, Restricted, have an Early Termination Option, or a Player Option. The guys with nothing by their names are the Unrestricted free agents.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2013-nba-free-agents/

Have at it, if you like. Who do you want on the Hawks, to build for the future?

And to make it even more interesting, list which guys you would sign 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc

Edited by northcyde

I just did a mock 2 year off-season in the trade forum. My plan essentially had us trading Lou for Granger and signing Pekovic. Granger is an expiring and I think Indy would do that deal to save some money and get some firepower off the bench.

Teague

Korver

Granger

Horford

Pekovic

Save use that money after Granger expires for the Summer of LeBron 2 when the big 3 break up the party and opt out of their deals. LeBron reunites with his former GM and a younger group to win more titles and solidify his case for the greatest player ever, because frankly, without as many rings as Mike and Kobe, he's got a tough time pleading his case against most people.

Teague

Korver

James

Horford

Pekovic

• Moderators

I just did a mock 2 year off-season in the trade forum. My plan essentially had us trading Lou for Granger and signing Pekovic. Granger is an expiring and I think Indy would do that deal to save some money and get some firepower off the bench.

Teague

Korver

Granger

Horford

Pekovic

Save use that money after Granger expires for the Summer of LeBron 2 when the big 3 break up the party and opt out of their deals. LeBron reunites with his former GM and a younger group to win more titles and solidify his case for the greatest player ever, because frankly, without as many rings as Mike and Kobe, he's got a tough time pleading his case against most people.

Teague

Korver

James

Horford

Pekovic

I don't see how Lebron will ever leave Miami. They can offer a much richer deal and they will. Bosh and Wade will be the ones gone. So why would Lebron leave Miami?

o get to the heart of the matter. It's hard to imagine not overpaying for both unrestricted and restricted players.

Considering every team will have to maintain the bare minimum 52 million every year, you could see alot of 12 - 14 million for one year type contracts especially for the 2014 draft and free agency.

I don't see how Lebron will ever leave Miami. They can offer a much richer deal and they will. Bosh and Wade will be the ones gone. So why would Lebron leave Miami?

He may not, but if Wade is on the way down and Bosh is one dimensional, he may chose to leave for a more balanced team so he doesn't have to take on such a heavy load. LeBron is Miami's best scorer, facilitator, defender, and rebounder. That's alot to put on your body night in and night out. He may have a better chance extending his career and making his place at or near the top of the "greatest ever" argument if he can do that.

We all want Pekovic but in reality he is a RFA and the T'Wolves will match any offer he signs. Writing an off season plan of getting a RFA like Pekovic in 2013 and Lebron 2014 is nothing but "pie in the sky."

My plan would try to be more realistic (of course I throw a max offer at Howard, Paul, and Pekovic but expect to swing and miss for 3 strikes there). Then comes the more reaslitic plan:

:

- Draft 2 of these guys with our 2 mid 1st rounders: McDermott, Robinson III, Brown, KCP, Dieng, Whitney. (Hopefully 1 wing and 1 big)

- Resign Jeff Teague to the best possible deal. Hopefylly 5 years at $40 - $45 mill.

- Attempt to sign Josh Smith at 5 years / $60 - $65 mill with the plan of trading him by the trade deadline 2014. Its the common assumption that Josh Smith would have more trade value in 2014, on a reasonable 5 year contract, then he did last month on an expiring contract. If it takes much more then that to resign Josh Smith then let him walk for nothing.

- Consider Al Jefferson for at 4 years $50 -$55 mill. If it takes more then that then let him walk. It will probably take more then that to sign him in the open market.....so I would expect for this not to work.

- Make an offer to JJ Hickson of 4 years $40 mill. That puts a little pressure on Portland to match. If they match no problem......if they don't match then that is a good contract for 12 ppg / 10 rpg 24 year old player with the versatility to play PF and C.

- We may strike out on Jefferson, Hickson, and Smith.......If that happens then no panic. Fill out the roster with 1 year contracts and keep your capspace for 2014. Then with young cheap contracts, cap space, expiring contracts, and draft picks a deal will arise that make sense. At worst we probably enter 2014 off season with a possible lottery pick and boat loads of cap space to along with Horford, Teague, Jenkins, and our 2 developing 2013 mid 1st round draft picks.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I'll start with the draft since that is where Danny will start too. We'll end up with 2 picks in this year draft, if Houston gets in as an 8th seed. We select:

16th pick: I'd love Otto Porter, but the guy just continues to soar up the board, so I'd be happy with McCollum or Burke here. The only thing I don't like about Burke is that he is the same size as Teague. We'd have to make a decision on that...

22nd pick: A SG/SF with size...

Honestly, I'd like to see Ferry use these picks to trade up in the draft and get Otto Porter. He could be our Julio Jones.

Resignings:

Retain Teague at a fair $8 mil/yr.

Retain Smith at a fair $13 mil/yr.

Retain Korver (not likely) at a fair $4.5 mil/yr.

Retain Ivan at $1.7 mil/yr.

FA signings:

O.J. Mayo at $7 mil/yr.

Mozgov at $4 mil/yr

Blair at $2 mil/yr

Zaza at $4 mil/yr

Your 2013-14 Atlanta Hawks w/o Dwight:

C - Mozgov ($4 mil)

PF - Horford ($ 12.5 mil)

SF - Smith ($13 mil)

SG - Mayo ($7 mil)

PG - Teague ($8 mil)

G - L. Williams ($5.5 mil)

PG - McCollom ($1.3 mil)

G/F - Korver ($4.5 mil)

PF - Ivan ($1.7 mil)

C - Pachulia ($4 mil)

F/C - Blair ($2.0 mil)

SG - Jenkins ($1.4 mil)

2nd 1st round pick ($1.0 mil)

• Moderators

There is a rumor coming from LBJ's camp that he'll look to opt out after next season to return to Cleveland...

• Moderators

There is a rumor coming from LBJ's camp that he'll look to opt out after next season to return to Cleveland...

Make no mistake, he will not play anywhere where he doesn't feel like he has a superstar to be his wingman. He isn't coming to Atlanta unless we strike absolute gold in the draft (and even then I have trouble imagining it).

We all want Pekovic but in reality he is a RFA and the T'Wolves will match any offer he signs.

Writing an off season plan of getting a RFA like Pekovic in 2013 and Lebron 2014 is nothing but "pie in the sky."

My plan would be try to mor realistic like this:

- Draft 2 of these guys with our 2 mid 1st rounders: McDermott, Robinson III, Brown, KCP, Dieng, Whitney. (Hopefully 1 wing and 1 big)

- Resign Jeff Teague to the best possible deal. Hopefylly 5 years at $40 - $45 mill.

- Attempt to sign Josh Smith at 5 years / $60 - $65 mill with the plan of trading him by the trade deadline 2014. Its the common belief that a then 28 year old Josh Smith would have more trade value in 2014 on a reasonable 5 year contract then he did last month on an expiring contract.

If it takes much more then that to resign Josh Smith then let him walk for nothing.

- Consider Al Jefferson for at 4 years $50 -$55 mill. If it takes more then that let him walk. It will probably take more then that to sign him in the open market.

- Make an offer to JJ Hickson of 4 years $40 mill. That puts a little pressure on Portland to match. If they match no problem......if they don't that is a good contract for 12 ppg / 10 rpg player with the versatility to play PF and C.

- We may strike out on both Jefferson, Hickson, and Smith.......If that happens then no panic. Fill out the roster with 1 year contracts and keep your capspace for 2014. With young cheap contracts, cap space, expiring contracts, and draft picks a deal will arise that make sense.

You'd think they will match; however if AK47 picks up his player option and why wouldn't he, they'll be at the cap. If Pekovic gets an offer sheet of over $10 milliion, Minny will be in LT territory unless they move someone, which is possible, but if KLove comes back healthy for next season, they could realistically go with Love at Center, Williams at PF, and Kirilenko at SF.

I'll start with the draft since that is where Danny will start too. We'll end up with 2 picks in this year draft, if Houston gets in as an 8th seed. We select:

16th pick: I'd love Otto Porter, but the guy just continues to soar up the board, so I'd be happy with McCollum or Burke here. The only thing I don't like about Burke is that he is the same size as Teague. We'd have to make a decision on that...

I love Porter..............most think he is now a top 10 pick. That is the only reason I did not include him. Burk is listed at 6'0''. He could measure 5'11'' officially at the draft combine. Most college PGs who are listed at 6'0'' do measure a little under. He is the best PG in the draft but I just don't see him as a fit considering we already have Teage at 6'2'' and and Williams at 6'1''.

McCollum may be the real deal but my problem with his is that he is only 6'3'' and his is injured. That is why I focused on taller wings between 6'5'' - 6'8''.

• Moderators

I don't want to see us sign mediocre players to big deals so I am all for Pekovic, etc. if we can get them but I don't want to see us maxing Al Jefferson or anything. I'd rather wait until 2014 than blow the cap room up on Jefferson.

My long-term goal is to land a star -- through the draft, trade, free agency...whatever.

• Like 3

You'd think they will match; however if AK47 picks up his player option and why wouldn't he, they'll be at the cap. If Pekovic gets an offer sheet of over $10 milliion, Minny will be in LT territory unless they move someone, which is possible, but if KLove comes back healthy for next season, they could realistically go with Love at Center, Williams at PF, and Kirilenko at SF.

I think your math is offer or mine is off.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/minnesota-timberwolves-team-salary

By my math that will be $10 mill under the salary cap and about $10-$22 mill under the tax. Of course I'm subtracting team option years on Roy and Stiesma and assuming they don't make qualifying offers to 2 scrubs. Even if they choose to retain their 2 scrubs they should not be around the tax.

I don't want to see us sign mediocre players to big deals so I am all for Pekovic, etc. if we can get them but I don't want to see us maxing Al Jefferson or anything. I'd rather wait until 2014 than blow the cap room up on Jefferson.

My long-term goal is to land a star -- through the draft, trade, free agency...whatever.

We all have the same longterm objective.....the road to get there is just unclear. We just have to keep flexibility with young developing players on cheap contracts, cap space, and good assets on reasonable contracts to get there. If we have all of that, which we should, then the opportunity will arise.

I think your math is offer or mine is off.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/minnesota-timberwolves-team-salary

By my math that will be $10 mill under the salary cap and about $10-$22 mill under the tax. Of course I'm subtracting team option years on Roy and Stiesma and assuming they don't make qualifying offers to 2 scrubs. Even if they choose to retain their 2 scrubs they should not be around the tax.

Hoopshype is where I got my figures. I thought their number for Kirilenko was not included in their team totals, but it was. You're right. They have the room to re-sign him and be well under the LT. I guess he's a no-go then which sucks. He's a good talent that they'd be crazy not to match on.

If we don't get Dwight and Paul, a long-shot anyway... we shouldn't go crazy like Detroit and Dumars a couple years ago when they overspent on Gordon and Villanueva!

Plan B should be focused on re-signing Teague, Korver, Smoove (70 mil / 5 yrs. max) and build from there, have a solid draft and keep financial flexibility...

• Like 1

• Moderators

Match:

Jeff Teague (5 Years, $42.5 million, first year $7.25 million)

Re-signs:

Kyle Korver (3 Years, $13.5 million, first year $5 million)

Ivan Johnson (QO, $1.2 million)

Zaza Pachulia (3 Years, $14 million, first year $4.25 million)

Additions:

New Coach

Nikola Pekovic (1a, 5 Years, $60 million, first year $10.5 million) or Tiago Splitter (1b, 3 Years, $22.5 million, first year $7.25 million)

O.J. Mayo (5 Years, $50 million, first year $9.5 million)

Brandon Rush (3 Years, $15 million, first year $4 million) or Jarrett Jack (4 Years, $16 million, first year $4.25 million)

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3
  • Like 1

Look at a side by side position comparison from one year to the next

PG

2013:

Chris Paul

Brandon Jennings

Jeff Teague

Jose Calderon

Darren Collison

2014:

Kyrie Irving

Ricky RubioTony Parker

SG

2013:

Andre Iguadola

Monta EllisManu GinobliOJ Mayo

Kevin Martin

2014:

Kobe Bryant

Dwayne Wade

SF

2013:

NOTHING

2014:

LeBron James

Carmelo AnthonyPaul PierceDanny Granger

Luol Deng

PF

2013:

Josh Smith

David WestPaul Millsap

2014:

Pau Gasol

Dirk Nowitski

Tim Duncan

Chris Bosh

Amar'e Stoudamire

Zach Randolph

C

2013:

Dwight Howard

Andrew Bynum

Al Jefferson

Nikola Pekovic

JJ Hickson

2014:

Demarcus Cousins

Kevin Garnett

Marcin Gortat

Andrew Bogut

Greg Monroe

Anderson Varajeo

Basically, your shot at a SF is not this offseason, but next. You've got alot more to pick from this year if you want a Center. PG options are good for both years. SG is a little weak this year but two aging superstars COULD be available next offseason, but no guarantee either of them will be. After them, it's a steep dropoff.

Match:

Jeff Teague

Re-signs:

Kyle Korver

Ivan Johnson

Zaza Pachulia

Additions:

New Coach

Nikola Pekovic (1a) or Tiago Splitter (1b)

O.J. Mayo

Brandon Rush

Jarrett Jack

~lw3

This is on par with my wishlist. Except you have to resign Josh to legitimize the defense. Golden State is hell bent not to pay the tax and that's where Jack and Rush (4m option) come into to play. I would be happy to match the 4 million a year for Rush and wait on his recovery. Splitter along with the other two really accentuates the core 3 I feel.

Mayo I compare to Jefferson. They produce alot of empty numbers and play poor defense You will need very strong help defenders to make it work. They will also demand 10-14 million a year.

• Like 2

I'll resign Teague and Korver.

Draft Porter, Robinson, Goodwin or Poythress and Burke, Austin or Withey with our 2 first round picks, whoever is available, we need a wing and Burke will be a good player on the league, if he is not available go for big.

Sign Mayo, C. Brewer and Dalembert, try to sign Jefferson.

Teague/Williams/Burke

Mayo/Jenkins

Brewer/Korver/Robinson

Horford/Scott/FA

Jefferson/Dalembert

If we land Burke, possibly trade L. Williams for Jason Thompson and prospect filler if not

Teague/Williams

Mayo/Jenkins

Brewer/Korver/Robinson

Horford/Scott/Austin

Jefferson/Dalembert/Austin

Edited by gurpilo
  • Like 1