• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Al Horford/Tim Duncan

I've said that Al should follow some of the leagues other players and try and work out with Hakeem "The Dream" this summer. However, his open spots are limited. If that fails how about Tim Duncan.

Came across this article http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2013/03/17/nba-big-men-learn-much-at-school-of-duncan/ and thought, why not.

"In the 16th season of a career fast-tracked for Springfield, Mass., Duncan has become the NBA’s unofficial Goodwill Ambassador of Big Men, a resource for younger players to mine during the offseason.

The list of those the two-time MVP and four-time NBA champion has helped tutor also includes All-Stars Roy Hibbert of Indiana and LaMarcus Aldridge of Portland, as well as New Orleans’ Anthony Davis, the No. 1 pick in last June’s draft.

The only catch: If a young player wants an audience with the wise old sage, he must travel to San Antonio to get it.

“I just want to work out, honestly,” Duncan said. “Whoever’s willing to work out, I’ll work out with anybody. It makes the summers go by better. It makes me better. I’m available to do that, so I like doing that.”

It is a unique dynamic, to be sure: A 36-year-old warhorse in the twilight of his career, volunteering to train the generation that will one day put him out to pasture."

Al can have Ferry put in a call for him.

I've always thought Horford should pattern his game after Duncan. Horford moves a lot more like Duncan on the court than Hakeem anyways. Then again not many big men in today's game move with the fluidity of Hakeem.

I completely agree, if Al really wants to become elite, he needs to learn from the elite.

Spending one off-season getting hitched and nursing a shoulder injury is fine by me, but using the others to scrimmage against international teams with the Dominican Republic isn't going to take his game to the next level. If he can ever get to the point where he's a threat from both inside and out, watch out.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I completely agree, if Al really wants to become elite, he needs to learn from the elite. Spending one off-season getting hitched and nursing a shoulder injury is fine by me, but using the others to scrimmage against international teams with the Dominican Republic isn't going to take his game to the next level. If he can ever get to the point where he's a threat from both inside and out, watch out.

I agree. He should seek out one of the great PFs or centers to help improve his post game. More than likely, he'll finally get to his true position next year and with an improved post game, he can really become even more outstanding.

I was shocked when Al was interviewed earlier this year and admitted that he had never been to a big man camp.

He needs to forget about that rinky-dink Puerto Rican "national team" and focus in on working on his post game.

• Like 1

I was shocked when Al was interviewed earlier this year and admitted that he had never been to a big man camp. He needs to forget about that rinky-dink Puerto Rican "national team" and focus in on working on his post game.

Dominican Republic team - get your countries right. But yeah I was surprised by the admission that he hasn't done so before. I don't think Al's post game will ever be as fluid as Dreams or TD but he can definitely learn some valuable lessons.

Dominican Republic team - get your countries right. But yeah I was surprised by the admission that he hasn't done so before. I don't think Al's post game will ever be as fluid as Dreams or TD but he can definitely learn some valuable lessons.

But didnt before last season he claimed that he had his own personal strength/conditioning and big man coach with him? There was video and everything of his workouts but I'd have to wait till I'm at a computer to dig up the info.

I've always thought Horford should pattern his game after Duncan. Horford moves a lot more like Duncan on the court than Hakeem anyways. Then again not many big men in today's game move with the fluidity of Hakeem.

Totally agree. Duncan's not quite a stiff, but he's about as close as you can get while still being the best PF to ever play the game. Horford's even more mechanical than my man Timmy. Especially at the 4, Horford's big enough to do some simple, quick drop steps and hook shots to score some easy buckets. He can pass, too. Horf's shown some flashes this season, but he needs some consistency.

Totally agree. Duncan's not quite a stiff, but he's about as close as you can get while still being the best PF to ever play the game. Horford's even more mechanical than my man Timmy. Especially at the 4, Horford's big enough to do some simple, quick drop steps and hook shots to score some easy buckets. He can pass, too. Horf's shown some flashes this season, but he needs some consistency.

There is nothing 'stiff' about Tim Duncan. Exquisite footwork in the post and is just fundamentally sound, no wasted movements He isn't called Mr Fundamental for nothing. Al can learn a lot.

There is nothing 'stiff' about Tim Duncan. Exquisite footwork in the post and is just fundamentally sound, no wasted movements He isn't called Mr Fundamental for nothing. Al can learn a lot.

Tim Duncan's my favorite player not on the Hawks, I don't mean to hate. I mean he doesn't throw dream-shakes around and he's really straight and to the point in the post, which is what Horford should strive for. I did say he's the best PF ever, and that he wasn't quite a stiff...

Honestly, I prefer Tim Duncan's "stiffness" (maybe that's not quite the right word) to Al Jefferson's 3,000 pump fakes a possession. I think Howard's post game is really underrated because there's a fascination with dream-shaking, for example, and I think Horford could most certainly learn a lot from Timmy.

It's hard to describe Tim's body movements. He isn't "stiff," but he certainly isn't as fluid or athletic as his fellow ageless 4/5 counterpart KG. Tim has gotten so much done for so long because he's clearly much stronger than he looks and exponentially smarter than most NBA numbskulls. Of course the footwork and positioning on both sides can't be more perfect.

• Like 1

It's hard to describe Tim's body movements. He isn't "stiff," but he certainly isn't as fluid or athletic as his fellow ageless 4/5 counterpart KG. Tim has gotten so much done for so long because he's clearly much stronger than he looks and exponentially smarter than most NBA numbskulls. Of course the footwork and positioning on both sides can't be more perfect.

Exactly.