• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Falcons awarded 4 compensatory draft picks

coachx

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/football/falcons-pick-up-four-compensatory-picks/nWwr6/

The good news is Atlanta got 4 compensatory draft picks.............earlier projections guessed they would only get 3.

One 4th round compensatory pick (133 overall) was awarded for losing Curtis Lofton in free agency.

Three 7th round compensatory picks were awared for losing E. Weem (WR / KR), J. Sanders (S), and K. Haden (CB) in free agency.

Atlanta now has 11 total draft picks for the 2013 draft but with 4 of those coming at the end of the 7th round. On the bright side Atlanta has 5 picks between #30 - #133 overall in this draft where there are good odds at drafting contributors.

I like to look at contributors drafted around 100 and later. Past contributors Thomas Dimitroff has selected around #100 and later include:

Thomas Decoud #98 overall, Kroy Biermann #154, Garret Reynolds #156, Vance Walker #210, Joe Hawley #117, Dominique Franks #135, Jaquizz Rodgers #145, Matt Bosher #192, Akeem Dent #91. All of these guys have started games for Atlanta except for Rodgers. However, Rodgers was a regular contributor who tallied 93 rushes, 53 catches, and 23 KRs last season. Out of 169 total touches Rodgers did not fumble the ball even once all season.

In addition to the players above its way too early to write off the following 3 players who were also drafted late:

The #1 FB in last years draft was picked at #158 overall in Bradie Ewing by the Falcons. He blew out his ACL in the 1st preseason game but expects to be the #1 FB on the depth chart this year. Cliff Matthews was selected #230 in 2011 and Jonathan Massaquoi was selected #164 in 2012. Both Matthews and Massaquoi expect to compete for playing time as pass rushing OLB in Mike Nolan's 3-4 defense in 2013.

Now with an early look ahead to 2014 compensatory picks:

This year Atlanta cut M. Turner, J. Abraham, and D. Robinson. Assuming all 3 players sign with other teams, in free agency, Atlanta could be awared 2014 compensatory picks for these players based on how much $ they sign for, their production, and amount of games started next year as the basis of the complicated formula. However, Atlanta did sign Steven Jackson which will negate one of those players who were cut............If Atlanta loses Brent Grimes in free agency that would be another probable compensatory draft pick for 2014. Atlanta also lost Lawerence Sidbury to free agency and he was quickly signed by the Colts in day #2 of free agency. He is possible compensatory draft pick for 2014. You would think he would get some playing time considering how quickly he was signed by the Colts.

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

I don't follow the NFL process as closely, but why would the NFL award compensatory picks for players a team cut? I can understand getting them for free agents who walk but why someone like Michael Turner that the Falcons simply chose to eliminate from their roster? It seems like they already have their compensation - they don't have to pay him (if he was worth paying they wouldn't cut him).

Defense, defense, defense. And a Tight End. And an offensive lineman would be good... Loving the Steven Jackson signing more and more every day. Buying a jersey as soon as they become available!

Now that compensatory picks are released we now know the exact spots Atlanta will own draft rights through all 7 rounds:

http://www.draftsite.com/nfl/mock-draft/2013/round7/ (Click each round to see draft spots)

Atlanta owns the following picks in the 2013 draft:

#30 -

I expect Atlanta to trade a 7th round pick, or two, for a veteran player who other teams would cut and lose for nothing. Remember we traded a 7th round pick to the Eagles for Asaunte Samuel last year. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7853300/atlanta-falcons-acquire-asante-samuel-philadelphia-eagles

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

I don't follow the NFL process as closely, but why would the NFL award compensatory picks for players a team cut? I can understand getting them for free agents who walk but why someone like Michael Turner that the Falcons simply chose to eliminate from their roster? It seems like they already have their compensation - they don't have to pay him (if he was worth paying they wouldn't cut him).

I was wrong.........players who are cut are not included in the compensatory draft pick formula.

Players who are cut / released are not included in the compesatory pick formula. The good news for the Falcons is that the signing of Steven Jackson will not count against us in the 2014 Compensatory Pick Formula. So we have a shot at getting picks for Lawrence Sidbury and Brent Grimes........assuming Grimes signs with another team.

Atlanta only has $5.8 mill under the cap as of now.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/football/falcons-pick-up-four-compensatory-picks/nWwr6/

Edited by coachx