• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Colorado Prison Chief Murder

DJlaysitup

I've been following the murder of the Head of Prisons in Colorado. A gunman came into his neighborhood (a nice and fairly exclusive neighborhood)...walked up on his porch...rang the doorbell...when he opened the door...shot him dead.

The "suspect" has since been gunned down (killed) in Texas fleeing from the cops and shooting at them (hitting the cop who tried to stop him on a check in the chest twice - luckily had a BPV on).

Details are still sketchy but apparently this nut on parole may have killed a pizza delivery person just before this deal - possibly just to get his hat or a pizza box to entice the second victim to open the door (look innocent and confused - maybe asking directions).

This deal is still in the early investigative stages and more accurate info will likely be forthcoming.

The thing it reinforces for me - even though I live in a "gated" apartment complex here in Atlanta is...don't open your door to anybody you are not expecting...it's sad that it has come to this but...it has.

We got a warning just the other day about a young man who rang the doorbell of a retiree in one of the buildings. He asked for money for gas to get to work. The old woman said no - but she had opened her door and was then pushed down by the doorbell ringer and then two others came out of nowhere and she was robbed. Luckily they didn't seriously hurt or kill her.

The gates on our "gated apartment community" aren't worth spit and everybody knows it. I would bet a hundred bucks that the perps cased the place from the parking lot - looked for a weak older person - then took advantage when the time was right.

My next door neighbor (we live in four-plexes) is 85 years old and he has told me that he has been followed back from the Krogers.

There are predators out there.

This is sad, but true. What is different is that there are no "safe havens" anymore. Things have been like this for a long time in "bad" neighborhoods. But, even supposedly affluent areas are being affected by the criminal element in this country.

This is sad, but true. What is different is that there are no "safe havens" anymore. Things have been like this for a long time in "bad" neighborhoods. But, even supposedly affluent areas are being affected by the criminal element in this country.

You could always try and move into the 55+ active adult community that DJ lives in, that would have to be pretty safe :saythat:

• Like 2

• Moderators

This is sad, but true. What is different is that there are no "safe havens" anymore. Things have been like this for a long time in "bad" neighborhoods. But, even supposedly affluent areas are being affected by the criminal element in this country.<br /> <br />You could always try and move into the 55+ active adult community that DJ lives in, that would have to be pretty safe :saythat:

<br /><br />...or be like me and live in the middle of nowhere, out in the boonies. 25 minutes to the nearest town... My dream would to have a house on about 25 acres of a wooded lot and my nearest neighbor is about a mile down the road. lol
  • Like 1

Reminds me of one the greatest lines on TV.

The truth has always been though that a door/gate/fortress is only as strong as the person behind it. Anything with a human component is bound to fail no matter how foolproof it may seem and the last line of defense is always your own common sense. No matter how safe your neighborhood is, don't naturally assume that all the responsibility of identifying danger has been taken out of your hands.

• Like 1

You could always try and move into the 55+ active adult community that DJ lives in, that would have to be pretty safe Posted Image

LOL...but it isn't. I'm not making things up (nor do I live in a community as you describe Posted Image ). I live in Lake Louise Apartments - up until recently a nice little Oasis in Dekalb County.

But things have been changing (and I will be moving soon)...when I walk around the lake now I see "tags" - spray paint graffitti that I can't interpret but that I figure have gang afiliations. It's not important enough for me to "get to know" these things - I'll just move - and keep my .357 handy until I do and never answer a doorbell unless I'm expecting somebody.

If I want to talk to my neighbor (the 85 year old guy) I ring his doorbell and whistle - then he knows it's me.

Sad state of affairs IMO.

I live in the residential area of Kennesaw. Crime is down dramtically even though it has always been low. Even with that I am always conscious of my surroundings and look both ways before I enter my home or pull out of the garage. Same with entering and exiting my vehicle. There is no where that is completely safe. The first component of a crime is opportunity you cut down on that . And being in a town where its the law that every home must have a firearm doesn't hurt either.

Don't ever open your door for a stranger. Hell I even make sure that no has a gun to my wife's head before I let her. You just never know and because you live in a good area doesn't mean that you ever let your guard down.

Edited by Wurider05

It's an interesting thing...it really goes both ways. We all want equality and for every young one to be brought up in a safe area where they can maximize their skillz and become decent members of society - yet - we fear those that we hope to "bring up".

I will admit it - sure as true - when I moved my family from Denver to Atlanta (two small children) I looked for safety and the best education they could get here. And I got it for them - Soap Creek Elementary - middle school - and Walton High School. No phucking around...I paid extra for the real estate.

Graduating from Walton with good grades got them both into solid colleges...my daughter has her degree now from UGA and my son is finishing off his undergraduate studies at LSU - prior to going to law school.

As much a "paper liberal" as I am - I didn't want my kids working their way through school in DeKalb County Posted Image

It' bad everywhere, just gotta go somewhere where crime is less prevalent. I grew up on the west side of Atlanta and my apartment was broken into while I was at work and I knew I needed to move after that. Moved to West to Douglasville and when I married I moved even further west to Temple which is right next to Villa Rica and about 30-40 minutes from Atlanta.