• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

300: Rise of an Empire Trailer

Admin

I wouldn't expect it to be as good as the first but I can still dig it. It will be better than Immortals I think.

That's not saying much, that movie was horrible! Between that and the awful Titan movies this one surely has to be better. At least it's got Zack Snyder involved in writing the screenplay so that offers some hope.

I can't compare Immortals to the Titan movies. That's a whole new level of awful.

At least the director of Titans admitted that it was a horrible movie that was rushed and that the 3D was terrible. I didn't think it was too terrible at the time but as I've seen it another time I really saw how bad it was and then the sequel was far worse.

Yeah Immortals was kind of the opposite for me. I didn't like it the first one I saw it and then liked it after watching a second time. 300 is badass every time watching it. I don't see how a movie of that genre could ever top it.

Yeah Immortals was kind of the opposite for me. I didn't like it the first one I saw it and then liked it after watching a second time. 300 is badass every time watching it. I don't see how a movie of that genre could ever top it.

Yeah I don't see any movie of that style beating out 300. The Spartacus series is right there with it though.

I need to check it out. Is that an HBO series?

It was a Starz series that lasted 4 seasons and the main actor died if cancer in real life after the first season but they replaced him with someone good. I've heard they're about to start a spin off with one of the main guys from the last season so I'm pretty excited about that. I will warn you it's incredibly graphic with a ton of over the top blood and lots of female and make nudity. It was a great series though!

I really liked the first season of Spartacus, but the remainder sort of fell flat for me. I think it was because I like the first actor so much that the guy replacing just wasn't as good. However, the fourth season was pretty good and the finally I thought did a good job of closing it out.

The spin-off Blood and Sand was pretty good too.

I still like Rome as a creator of these sorts of HBO/Starz/Cinemax/Showtime series.

300 was a tremendous movie. I also agree that the Titans and Immortals movies were not so good. My wife and I walked away from Immortals thinking that was a waste of money.

I really liked the first season of Spartacus, but the remainder sort of fell flat for me. I think it was because I like the first actor so much that the guy replacing just wasn't as good. However, the fourth season was pretty good and the finally I thought did a good job of closing it out.

The spin-off Blood and Sand was pretty good too.

I still like Rome as a creator of these sorts of HBO/Starz/Cinemax/Showtime series.

300 was a tremendous movie. I also agree that the Titans and Immortals movies were not so good. My wife and I walked away from Immortals thinking that was a waste of money.

Yes Andy Whitfield was amazing as Spartacus and I was hesitant to start up the follow up seasons (prequel, season 2 and season 3) but once I really gave the new guy a chance I started liking him a lot more. I also really liked it when they started bringing in some of the older gladiators like Gannicus and Agron.

I have Rome waiting to watch but I guess I've put it off since I know it only lasted the 2 seasons. But I will most likely tackle it at some point this summer. I think it was AHF who told me about that one and how much he liked it.

Definitely give Rome a try, I think you'll really enjoy it.

I promised AHF a year or so ago that I would and still plan on it. I just hate starting a show that I'm likely to watch when I know it's only going to last 2 seasons. So for that reason I've put it off, but I am going to watch it at some point this summer for sure.

• Moderators

I promised AHF a year or so ago that I would and still plan on it. I just hate starting a show that I'm likely to watch when I know it's only going to last 2 seasons. So for that reason I've put it off, but I am going to watch it at some point this summer for sure.

You'll have to post your thoughts after watching it. On the positive side, Rome was a really expensive show to film so it wasn't likely to ever have a really long run and this way they kept the writing reasonably tight.

You'll have to post your thoughts after watching it. On the positive side, Rome was a really expensive show to film so it wasn't likely to ever have a really long run and this way they kept the writing reasonably tight.

As soon as I finish the 4th season of Arrested Development I will be moving on to Rome. I'm hopeful that it will be great with the fantastic reviews it's gotten on here.

Alright got through the 1st episode so far and there are several actors that I really like that are in the show so that's a plus. The fight scenes are a little weak and kinda seem like something you'd see in a local play but no biggie, I guess I've gotten spoiled by Spartacus and 300.

But one thing that bugged me was there was a guy in the Senate who I swear had an English / Scottish accent! I watched it last night so I'm trying to remember his name but I think it was the guy Timon and I went back and watched the scene again and his name is Porcius Cato, played by Karl Johnson, who sure enough is from Wales.

I just cut that part out and uploaded it to YouTube so that you could see what I'm talking about. I don't know why but this just bugs me and I swear I'm hearing Robin Williams or Billy Connolly when I watch it LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LQBHlOvaoY

On the plus side there's a good bit of nudity and political stuff going on and a lot of action. So gonna get on episode 2 tonight and see where it goes from there.

Just about done with the 1st season and definitely getting into it. I cannot get over how freaking hot Niobe and to a lesser degree, Atia are!

It's been weird seeing the guy that plays Antony in this after watching him in "The Following" where he's a serial killer. Then the guy who plays Titus Pullo was a very good and likable bad guy on the last season of Dexter and he's a good guy on here.

One thing that is very strange though is where is Marcus Crassus? Was he already dead when this series takes place? He's kind of a big deal along with Pompey and Caesar in the same time period but I'm guessing this must take place not long after his death.

So just finished the final season and after a weekend long 2 season marathon I must say that I was pleased by the series. I really liked that Lucius was so conflicted and admitted he had the same disease as Antony. I really liked how loyal he was but it kinda bugged me not knowing if he really died or not and whether he ever told his kids that he didn't kill their mother.Pullo was definitely my favorite character though and it sucked seeing him go through so much sadness with his wife only to love again and then lose her too but end up being the one who killed her because of her confession. The whole story seemed pretty accurate but they kind of veered off with the Caesarian twist at the end with he and Pullo walking off into the sunset.Some other thoughts...I loved the newsreader guy as he cracked me up with his hand gestures and inflection in his voice and his humor. Cleopatra was great and she was very sexy and they really made it seem like she loved Antony. Was it a black mamba that but her? I can't remember the real story off the top of my head.What happened to et tu Brutus that Caesar says before dying? In this series he tries to speak but never gets a word out. Plus I never felt like Brutus and Caesar were nearly as close as they really were. Octavio was pretty great, even as a little kid, but the actor who played him as an adult was much better and very convincing. Well those are my initial thoughts. Time to get 4 hours of sleep and get up for work. Maybe I will have some more thoughts tomorrow. Good series though and I'm glad I finally took the time to watch it.

• Moderators

What happened to et tu Brutus that Caesar says before dying? In this series he tries to speak but never gets a word out.

Just cherry-picking this one but I think you are remembering the Shakespeare play. Famous line there but rather questionable as far as its historical accuracy.

Glad to see you enjoyed it!