• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If there's no D12 or CP3... my makeup plan.

Diesel

• Moderators

With the roster Detroit has, they can def invest at any cost in Drummond.

If Utah lets either/both Jefferson/Milsap go, they will be in a solid place to retain Kanter

I like where your head is going, but that's a crapshoot 2 years down the line. ummm no thanks when we can just get a couple of bigs with the same skillset in this draft for a cheaper rate.

If there were bigs with the same skillset in this draft, they would be going #1 overall and at least in the top 5 - not in the 18-19 range. My point was that if you want to retain sufficient cap room to land a young big then you need to pay more for shorter contracts or acquire lesser players on shorter contracts. You can't tie up that much cap room and look to next offseason for a big FA.

Edited by AHF

Thanks. The reason I was interested is that you mentioned going after some of the young stud centers in FA. If you are at $55M in payroll and you admittedly might be low-balling it, you won't have the cap space to make a run at guys like Drummond, Kanter, Cousins, etc.

I see your point, but half of our roster would be on expiring deals. The vast majority of our roster would have favorable contracts for trade. The point is to give the team flexibility moving forward; that doesn't just come with empty cap space.

Isn't it true that the only reason one is able to do a sign-and-trade for an unrestricted free agent is that he is in such demand that it is a "given" that he deserves the extra year (that only the Hawks can give him) and therefore he is in such demand that the teams desiring his services are willing to do that as well as give assets back to (the Hawks) to make sure they get him?

Am I missing something here? Seriously - I may be...I'm not really as up on this as I should be.

I mean - what if nobody is really interested in giving Smoove any more than 3 years for 36? Are we even players at all at that point?

Isn't it true that the only reason one is able to do a sign-and-trade for an unrestricted free agent is that he is in such demand that it is a "given" that he deserves the extra year (that only the Hawks can give him) and therefore he is in such demand that the teams desiring his services are willing to do that as well as give assets back to (the Hawks) to make sure they get him?

Am I missing something here? Seriously - I may be...I'm not really as up on this as I should be.

I mean - what if nobody is really interested in giving Smoove any more than 3 years for 36? Are we even players at all at that point?

Under the new CBA the free agent can no longer get that extra year or the 7.5% raises in a SnT. So there's virtually no benefit to the player or the team acquiring him unless they want to get rid of a contract and the team trading the free agent is interested in bringing that contract back. Does that make sense? There are going to be a lot less SnT's now under the new CBA.

Also, once we renounce Josh we will no longer be able to SnT him or offer him that extra year and higher raises and we'll be on equal footing with every other team with cap room for his services. We also wouldn't be able to go over the cap to re-sign him either. But by renouncing him we clear up quite a bit of useable cap space to sign other free agents.

If the best offer for Josh is 3/36 then I suppose there's a chance that he could come back to us, but I really don't see him as a fit on the new team, assuming we do run the Spurs style of offense.

Bottom line is that it's probably going to be a rude awakening for Josh since I don't see any teams offering him more than $48 million over 4 years and even that is a stretch. My guess would be something like $44 million over 4 years or $36 million over 3 years.

• Like 1

Bottom line is that it's probably going to be a rude awakening for Josh since I don't see any teams offering him more than $48 million over 4 years and even that is a stretch. My guess would be something like $44 million over 4 years or $36 million over 3 years.

Yeah - I think Josh made a big mistake not going full free agent before. Much of Life is all about timing. I really see interest in Smoove - but not long-term huge dollar interest.

Too bad for him...adios Josh...next!

Yeah - I think Josh made a big mistake not going full free agent before. Much of Life is all about timing. I really see interest in Smoove - but not long-term huge dollar interest.

Too bad for him...adios Josh...next!

The only way that Josh could have been an UFA earlier in his career would have been if he accepted the Hawks qualifying offer when his rookie deal ended and then played out that 1 year contract. It would have cost him quite a bit of money, roughly $7 million dollars that year I believe, so that's a tough pill to swallow in order to become an UFA in a year. What happened if he blew his knee out or his back or God only knows what else could have happened. I think he did the right thing in taking the 5 year $58 million that he got and he's still going to get a pretty good payday this year.

His mistake might have been turning down the Hawks extension though. I can't remember how much that was for but it's probably going to be worth more annually then he's going to get in his new contract.

• Premium Member
I think hope DF doesn't want to build a loser.
We haven't ever had Paul or Dwight in our team, so I won't fret if they choose not to come. Now, if they DON'T, then what? Pray that LeBron will look to us and bring his talents to the ATL someday? C'mon.
I say, if they don't come now, they probably won't come next season as well. Time to wake up, move on and build the team the best you can.
Ferry can build a very good and balanced team out of other free agents and draft picks.
Calderon (7.5 M)
Teague (6.0 M)
Mack (0,8 M)
Jenkins (1.3 M)
Lou (5.2 M)
C .Brewer (5.0 M)
Scott (0.8 M)
Adetokounbo or Karasev (1.2 M)
Horford (12.0 M)
Millsap (9.0 M) or Hickson (7.0 M)
IVAN (2.0 M)
Splitter (7.0 M)
Zaza (vet min)
(Dieng, Gobert or Withey... I don't really like Plumlee) (1.2 M)
PG: Calderon (28 min) - Teague (20)
SG: Lou (24) - Jenkins (16) - Teague (8)
SF: Brewer (26) - Scott (16) - Rookie (6)
PF: Millsap (24) - Horford (16) - IVAN (8)
C: Horford (14) - Splitter (26) - Zaza (8)
Bench warmers: Mack, Rookie center
Not a GOAT starting lineup, but a very deep and solid bench. Probably one of the best 2nd units in the league if coach Bud decides to go 8 or 9-deep in the playoffs.
That's 14 players, 59 to 61 M. A lot of good players with reasonable contracts, should DF try some trades in the next offseason for the next big FA who won't want to play for the Hawks anyway.