What If

effjee14

I've seen a lot of you jump on the "time to rebuild" bandwagon, but what if the rebuild completely fails. What if our draft picks this year really suck and are not nba quality players (very possible). What if we again choose marvin williams (a can't miss draft pick) over chris paul and deron williams. What if its 3 years from now and we're coming off our third 20 win season in a row. What if 3 years from now, its been 3 years since we had a nationally televised game. What if 3 years from now, we've had the lowest attendance in the league for 3 years straight. What if 3 years from now, we are now the franchise being whispered about when it comes to franchise relocation. We barely supported a winning team. Now we are somehow expected to support a losing team. Just think about it. If we rebuild, it will more than likely be the 2016-2017 season before the hawks are remotely relevant again. I'm just saying. I've been a hawks fan since 88, through the thick and thin. But I've truly enjoyed this last run of winning seasons more than any other time. If I was 21 again, the rebuild would probably be exciting to me. But being older, I now have no time for foolishness. Hope you guys know what you are really asking for, the consequences, and I hope DF and the owners know what they're doing. Man this could be a disaster.

• Like 1

That is alot of IFs OP. Being in the middle of the NBA is the worst position if you don't have potential young prospects to trade for better talent (see Houston). It's a boom or bust situation to me. Franchise changing players are found in 3 ways: Trades, Free Agency, and the Draft. The draft seems to be the only way of finding one for this team.

Putting a Monta Ellis, or an Asik or even bringing back Josh Smith to this team doesn't make it a contender for a championship. So why stay on the "treadmill" mindset?

Edited by RWF
  • Like 1

If we rebuild, it will more than likely be the 2016-2017 season before the hawks are remotely relevant again.

What is your definition of "relevant"? Were the Hawks really ever relevant from 2007-2013? Does 2 wins outside of the first round in 6 years make a team relevant? I'd much rather be in the current position than any position that the Hawks have been in the last decade.

Edited by atlbraves93
  • Like 2

I've seen a lot of you jump on the "time to rebuild" bandwagon, but what if the rebuild completely fails. What if our draft picks this year really suck and are not nba quality players (very possible). What if we again choose marvin williams (a can't miss draft pick) over chris paul and deron williams. What if its 3 years from now and we're coming off our third 20 win season in a row. What if 3 years from now, its been 3 years since we had a nationally televised game. What if 3 years from now, we've had the lowest attendance in the league for 3 years straight. What if 3 years from now, we are now the franchise being whispered about when it comes to franchise relocation. We barely supported a winning team. Now we are somehow expected to support a losing team. Just think about it. If we rebuild, it will more than likely be the 2016-2017 season before the hawks are remotely relevant again. I'm just saying. I've been a hawks fan since 88, through the thick and thin. But I've truly enjoyed this last run of winning seasons more than any other time. If I was 21 again, the rebuild would probably be exciting to me. But being older, I now have no time for foolishness. Hope you guys know what you are really asking for, the consequences, and I hope DF and the owners know what they're doing. Man this could be a disaster

I don't think this ownership could survive that. So, if that happens, we would probably see new Ownership, new Management, Coach.

This team hasn't been relevant since Nique was tomahawk dunking in the old Omni 25 years ago; that's a fact. Even when they had the top seed in the East the year they traded for Manning, very few took them seriously, as that second-round disaster against the Pacers proved.The Hawks have made the playoffs the last six years but I don't recall the league handing out trophies for that. And I must've missed the parade celebrating the 6th seed title this past April. I'm pretty sure that the crowd will go bonkers when that banner is raised during the home opener. I wished that I had a better answer than what we're faced with in the near future. I've been rooting for this team for 35 years. While some have rooted for longer, I don't have nearly the patience to wait another near-decade for this team to get back to the Joe Johnson level of winning 45 games while getting slapped sideways in the playoffs. I used to; not anymore...

• Premium Member

That is alot of IFs OP. Being in the middle of the NBA is the worst position if you don't have potential young prospects to trade for better talent (see Houston). It's a boom or bust situation to me. Franchise changing players are found in 3 ways: Trades, Free Agency, and the Draft. The draft seems to be the only way of finding one for this team.

Putting a Monta Ellis, or an Asik or even bringing back Josh Smith to this team doesn't make it a contender for a championship. So why stay on the "treadmill" mindset?

Nope. Not true.

Houston came from THE MIDDLE. 2 years ago, they were MEDIOCRE CITY..

In 2011, they had the 14th and 23rd picks in the draft.

In 2012, they had the 12, 16, and 18 picks in the draft.

Do you know how many of those players are any good now?

None of them. They all suck dookie Balls.

But they landed James Harden and are about to land Dwight Howard.

You win at this by building and collecting assets. Reloading and retooling.

You guys are actually saying: "Let's follow the Bobcats"???

There's a much higher probability that we become the raptors, kings, bobcats, wizards, bucks, or timberwolves, than it is we become the thunder. Rebuilding is gambling. Playing the lottery figuratively and literally. When you gamble, u.usually lose.