• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pistons sign Josh Smith - 4 years / 56 million

lethalweapon3

Like it or not, BK was the GM that got us Joe (in prime), Josh, and Al. He created the nucleus that made us a 5 year playoff team. Ferry is making the same mistake as the previous two GMs, not getting this team a serviceable big. Atleast one with a higher ceiling than Zaza, Twin, or Petro.

Ferry has only had this team for 12 months. A little quick to condemn Ferry by comparing BK's 72 months ( May 2002 to May 2008 ) as a GM to Ferry's ( Hired June 25, 2012) 12 months.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

Knight was a terrible drafter and I loathe his face but he put us in position to get high draft picks, the very key for a franchise like ours. Ferry is doing the franchise and himself a disservice not getting a top 7 in 2014 pick you can build around. Knight is a dumb ass but he put us in position for guys like CP3, Deng, Roy, etc. My point is I want Ferry in place to draft guys like this until we are ready to compete like 07 vs. the Celtics.

Like it or not, BK was the GM that got us Joe (in prime), Josh, and Al. He created the nucleus that made us a 5 year playoff team. Ferry is making the same mistake as the previous two GMs, not getting this team a serviceable big. Atleast one with a higher ceiling than Zaza, Twin, or Petro.

What mistake has Ferry made? As far as I can tell we have about 14 or so million that we can spend so this offseason is far from over. Am I missing something?

Is there an ignore feature on here? I've never really thought about using it because trolls haven't been an issue as long as I've been reading this forum but there's clearly some obvious trolling around here now.

Sorry about the Troll part then. You obviously think a lot more of Josh's worth than 75% of this board. Very few regular posters here would consider Josh worth 56 million over four years.

For a player who over a nine year career and who has never made one all-star game (even in the weaker conference), It just does not compute for most of us.

Actually that is really close to what I suggested he would get in F/A (I said 4/60).

And now I'm ready to make another prediction. Atlanta misses the playoffs this year and Detroit makes it.

Adding KCP and Smith would be a good season for most teams. But for Detroit, a team that missed the playoffs by 9 games last year and still have space/room to work.

Josh's salary is just slightly higher than the person he replaces on the roster, Corey Maggette and his 5.3/1.4/1.1 stat line. However, dropping from Detroit's cap is also Richard Hamilton who hasn't played for the team since 2011 but has still had a 6 million dollar cap hit.

Josh at the 3 compared to Maggette for nearly the same salary is a joke. If straight stats can be trusted, Josh brings 12 points, 7 rebounds and 3 assists more per game to Detroit with solid defense with blocks. This move alone makes Detroit easily 9 games better. But Josh Smith and KCP to Detroit at a combined 1 million less than Maggette/Hamilton salary wise. People that are criticizing Dumars here have absolutely "0" basketball IQ. Detroit effectively added Josh and KCP while lowering their cap hit by over $1 million.

Now comparing the Hawks situation. All 3 of the players the Hawks drafted will have little impact on the team this year. Although talented, Schröder is not NBA ready. He is too small to play significant minutes in the NBA and needs to add 20 lbs, Noguiera will need to adjust to the NBA game speed and Muscala will be a bench player in the NBA. These 3 players are effectively replacing: Pachulia, Petro and Devin Harris.

The Hawks haven't just lost Smith while replacing him with the inferior Milsap, they've lost Devin Harris and Zaza. At this point they haven't even retained Ivan. You have replaced these players with 3 non-impact rookies, Paul Milsap and DeMarre Carroll. The Hawks won more than half their games by less than 10 points last year. Unless the Hawks fill their center slot with an impact player like Bynum, this will get ugly and we won't win 30 games. It's a good thing I'm not ownership, Ferry took everything good he did last year and just took a huge dump on it.

This team as currently constructed is at best a 30 win team while

KCP adds the scoring Detroit desperately needs and Josh fills a glaring hole at SF.

Edited by thecampster

Actually that is really close to what I suggested he would get in F/A (I said 4/60).

And now I'm ready to make another prediction. Atlanta misses the playoffs this year and Detroit makes it.

Adding KCP and Smith would be a good season for most teams. But for Detroit, a team that missed the playoffs by 9 games last year and still have space/room to work.

Josh's salary is just slightly higher than the person he replaces on the roster, Corey Maggette and his 5.3/1.4/1.1 stat line. However, dropping from Detroit's cap is also Richard Hamilton who hasn't played for the team since 2011 but has still had a 6 million dollar cap hit.

Josh at the 3 compared to Maggette for nearly the same salary is a joke. If straight stats can be trusted, Josh brings 12 points, 7 rebounds and 3 assists more per game to Detroit with solid defense with blocks. This move alone makes Detroit easily 9 games better. But Josh Smith and KCP to Detroit at a combined 1 million less than Maggette/Hamilton salary wise. People that are criticizing Dumars here have absolutely "0" basketball IQ. Detroit effectively added Josh and KCP while lowering their cap hit by over $1 million.

Now comparing the Hawks situation. All 3 of the players the Hawks drafted will have little impact on the team this year. Although talented, Schröder is not NBA ready. He is too small to play significant minutes in the NBA and needs to add 20 lbs, Noguiera will need to adjust to the NBA game speed and Muscala will be a bench player in the NBA. These 3 players are effectively replacing: Pachulia, Petro and Devin Harris.

The Hawks haven't just lost Smith while replacing him with the inferior Milsap, they've lost Devin Harris and Zaza. At this point they haven't even retained Ivan. You have replaced these players with 3 non-impact rookies, Paul Milsap and DeMarre Carroll. The Hawks won more than half their games by less than 10 points last year. Unless the Hawks fill their center slot with an impact player like Bynum, this will get ugly and we won't win 30 games. It's a good thing I'm not ownership, Ferry took everything good he did last year and just took a huge dump on it.

This team as currently constructed is at best a 30 win team while

KCP adds the scoring Detroit desperately needs and Josh fills a glaring hole at SF.

Don't let your heart cloud your judgement.

• Like 1

Amen ag82. You think Maurice Cheeks is going to get rid of "Midrange Shawty"? No, he's not. IMO, Smith is going to RUIN the growth of Drummond. Time will tell, but we all know with Josh it's "all about the benjamins baby!"

Edited by IllestPamfilis

Man this paul milsap era has me on the edge of seat. I'd much rather go see him score 14 points and 7 rebounds on a nightly basis, than see what we had the last 9 years. All that winning and playoff basketball was sooooooo boring. I'd much rather see a team that wins 25 games a season. The upcoming season will be soooooooo thrilling. So ready to get my flex tickets. Basketball is equivalent to rocket science, so we need all the IQ we can get. Maybe our new smart players can put a force field over the rim so none of our opponents shots go in. Nothing. I mean nothing could keep me from driving a 100 miles on a Tuesday night to see paul milsap fill the shoes of josh smith. ITS MUST SEE TV!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! We have our first prediction in for the coming season!

Be sure and remember - - You heard it here 1st. ======== 25 wins!

We don't even have knowledge of who will be on the final roster, but

we now know, without Josh, we're a team destined to have 25 wins.

At least, no 13 win season

GO HAWKS!!

• Like 2