• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Andrew Bynum Gaining Interest From Hawks

NCHawksFan

I'm not a doctor (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night), but it seems like it would essentially be the same concern either way. Rose's game is built around speed and cuts. Bad ACL injuries can limit those types of movements. Bynum is a big body and bad knees can cause problems with that as well. Both have their concerns. DeJuan Blair slipped to the second round despite having lottery talent because of no cartilege in either knee. He's had a pretty good NBA career so far. Not steller, but good especially considering his size for the position he plays. It just shows that players can come back and play well, especially if they're young. Bynum's will to play is certainly the biggest unknown since he just doesn't seem interested in anything other than collecting a check.

All I'm saying is Bynum has had knee issues since high school. Big men and chronic knee problems come with a higher risk. Rose may never be his old self, but I have more confidence that he will bounce back more so than Bynum.

DeJuan Blair had no ACL's (not cartilage) - scar tissue merged with them.

All I'm saying is Bynum has had knee issues since high school. Big men and chronic knee problems come with a higher risk. Rose may never be his old self, but I have more confidence that he will bounce back more so than Bynum.

DeJuan Blair had no ACL's (not cartilage) - scar tissue merged with them.

Gotcha! I honestly think Bynum is the epitome of high risk, high reward guy. I just found it humorous that everyone (media mostly) considers Rose returning and Chicago being a powerhouse again a foregone conclusion, but Bynum will never be healthy ever again. He seems lazy and has a poor work ethic so that could be a large part of it, but the guys has elite level talent when he's out there. That's hard to ignore.

Gotcha! I honestly think Bynum is the epitome of high risk, high reward guy. I just found it humorous that everyone (media mostly) considers Rose returning and Chicago being a powerhouse again a foregone conclusion, but Bynum will never be healthy ever again. He seems lazy and has a poor work ethic so that could be a large part of it, but the guys has elite level talent when he's out there. That's hard to ignore.

The key words 'When he is out there'

I do agree if the contract is structure to the teams advantage he is low risk, high reward.

OMG....Sekou Smith of NBA.com already is ranking the EAST teams: Where do the Hawks rank? #7

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/07/08/the-new-playoff-order-the-east/

Paul Millsap. DeMarre Carroll. Kyle Korver. And maybe Monta Ellis? That’s not exactly the kind of superstar haul Hawks fans were expecting when the franchise made it clear that they were going to put that $34 million-$40 million in cap space to good use by chasing Howard and Chris Paul. Those dreams were dashed immediately. Howard gave the Hawks a courtesy meeting when he knew all along that there was absolutely no chance he was coming back home to chase rings. And the minute Doc Rivers went to the Clippers, the dream of making up for passing over Paul in the 2005 Draft (for Marvin Williams) was dashed. Still, the Hawks should have a nucleus of the aforementioned players added to Al Horford, Lou Williams and John Jenkins, a group capable of securing one of the final three playoff slots in a top-heavy Eastern Conference. New coach Mike Budenholzer will have his work cut out for him with a mismatched roster that Horford will have to anchor from the center position he was hoping to escape with the addition of a quality center in free agency (Andrew Bynum and restricted free agent Nikola Pekovic are still out there …). And there is till an unsettled point guard position to deal with. Restricted free-agent point guard Jeff Teague is rumored to be the target of the Milwaukee Bucks, who have a restricted free agent of their own in Brandon Jennings that might interest the Hawks. The franchise has a string of six straight playoff appearances going right now. They should have the necessary parts to make it seven straight.

Not sure how he can rank a team that is not complete.

What I love is how the media has been high on John Jenkins. Seems like a lot of people think we need to not try and steal too many minutes from Jenkins with other free agents.

Below that is the dreaded "middle of the pack." New York and Brooklyn, I put at the upper middle (although BKN is looking really strong with those vets). Worst case scenario, that's 5 teams that are likely better than us - WORST CASE that is. With only 5 teams that could potentially be better than us, that leaves 3 playoff spaces available. Are we worse than three of these teams: PhillyTorontoDetroitWashingtonCleveland Charlotte Orlando LOL...not a chance. That's why I'm just not seeing a tank job here. The real danger though is one of these teams "striking gold" and vaulting to the top or upper middle. Happens all the time and if it does...then it'll probably be a young team that's good for a LONG time. Personally, I don't care how we get there. We just need to find a way to crack the top.

I would move Orlando (obviously tanking), Charlotte (adding big Al makes them better, but not a playoff contender) and Orlando (nice young pieces but still a 30 win team at best) down a tier. Leaving:AtlantaWashingtonClevelandDetroitTorontoMilwaukee (maybe)I see no reason why we couldn't finish 6th when Ferry is done spending money. And NY is not all that so who knows.Definitely not a tank job. We want to rebuild by reloading. Tradeable contracts and asset adding while being flexible and staying competitive. Houston won 40+ games in a brutal west while they did this exact thing.

Give Bynum a 2 year deal. High risk high reward. Keep Teague or trade him for Jennings and lets roll. I'm telling you right now this is an unintentional intentional tank by Ferry. Just watch.

• Premium Member

I'm not a doctor (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night), but it seems like it would essentially be the same concern either way. Rose's game is built around speed and cuts. Bad ACL injuries can limit those types of movements. Bynum is a big body and bad knees can cause problems with that as well. Both have their concerns. DeJuan Blair slipped to the second round despite having lottery talent because of no cartilege in either knee. He's had a pretty good NBA career so far. Not steller, but good especially considering his size for the position he plays. It just shows that players can come back and play well, especially if they're young. Bynum's will to play is certainly the biggest unknown since he just doesn't seem interested in anything other than collecting a check.

You get a "like" just for that Holiday Inn line...rofl. I needed that chuckle.

And that's a good point about Rose. Personally, I just respect Chicago's defense. Maybe that's a bias, but hustle, rebounding, defense...it's hard to get your game right against that team. IF...Rose comes back healthy, that's just a terrible team to face. On one hand, they beat you to every loose ball and they grind you down, then they take it and Rose runs it down your throat on the other.

His game isn't contact oriented like a big bodied Bynum though. Dude trying to bang down in the post with bad knees... :s Yeesh. If we're not rebuilding, then I'm all for it though. If he's healthy, then you are talking about a serious front line - my kind of stuff. He and Horf, really Horford and any big post presence, would be nice.

I would move Orlando (obviously tanking), Charlotte (adding big Al makes them better, but not a playoff contender) and Orlando (nice young pieces but still a 30 win team at best) down a tier. Leaving:AtlantaWashingtonClevelandDetroitTorontoMilwaukee (maybe)I see no reason why we couldn't finish 6th when Ferry is done spending money. And NY is not all that so who knows.Definitely not a tank job. We want to rebuild by reloading. Tradeable contracts and asset adding while being flexible and staying competitive. Houston won 40+ games in a brutal west while they did this exact thing.

Well, I know we're going to the playoffs. The media always undersells us (last year, we wouldn't make it) this year...we're an 8 seed. A) They underestimate Horford (a lot of people do) and B) they over estimate teams at the upper-middle. It's just convenient to forget about us. If we add Bynum and he's the HEALTHY and productive Bynum...it's a steal and a game changer for us.

Looking ahead 3 or 4 years though, if all we come out of this with is 4 consecutive playoff appearances and some late draft picks...OMG, I will totally...just suck it up and do the same shit I do every 4-5 years lol.

You get a "like" just for that Holiday Inn line...rofl. I needed that chuckle.

And that's a good point about Rose. Personally, I just respect Chicago's defense. Maybe that's a bias, but hustle, rebounding, defense...it's hard to get your game right against that team. IF...Rose comes back healthy, that's just a terrible team to face. On one hand, they beat you to every loose ball and they grind you down, then they take it and Rose runs it down your throat on the other.

His game isn't contact oriented like a big bodied Bynum though. Dude trying to bang down in the post with bad knees... :s Yeesh. If we're not rebuilding, then I'm all for it though. If he's healthy, then you are talking about a serious front line - my kind of stuff. He and Horf, really Horford and any big post presence, would be nice.

Well, I know we're going to the playoffs. The media always undersells us (last year, we wouldn't make it) this year...we're an 8 seed. A) They underestimate Horford (a lot of people do) and B) they over estimate teams at the upper-middle. It's just convenient to forget about us. If we add Bynum and he's the HEALTHY and productive Bynum...it's a steal and a game changer for us.

Looking ahead 3 or 4 years though, if all we come out of this with is 4 consecutive playoff appearances and some late draft picks...OMG, I will totally...just suck it up and do the same shit I do every 4-5 years lol.

Thanks for the like Wretch! I definitely agree the two are unique and different, but it appears Ferry is trying to build a serious team in the same mold as Chicago. Gritty defense from guys who work hard. Boozer is a joke at defense, but Thibs gets the most from him there. Deng and Noah are good defenders, but some of those other guys on that team have never been known for defense so they get by with hard work and blue collar ethics. I thought the comparisons of Rose vs. Bynum coming back from injury to their respective teams were close in that regard as well.

Who would mean more to their respective teams for a chance at a title? I'd say equal because no one would give the Hawks a snowball's chance even with a healthy Bynum. Same for Chicago sans Rose even though they're more complete than the Hawks albeit less deep in my opinion.