• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Pessimistic Fan Thread

ATLnightwing

• Moderators

I'm fine recognizing the positive but not without weighing the negative equally.

That was the point of the thread. Talk for people who are pessimistic about the team's current approach.

If you can combine some version of my proposed roster from the other thread with the trade that Utah pulled off and go in with multiple picks in 2014 along with more future draft assets all for eating expiring contracts then all the better.

I absolutely acknowledge it isn't a risk free approach (not that I know of a risk free approach) but this seems like the year to swing for the fences in the draft and my would-be plan to do that is predicated on first trying to land Paul/Dwight and striking out on them.

Edited by AHF

The 2014 draft is the closest to that draft in terms of top flight players if you believe the scouts. I don't know that I would bet on an All-Star appearance from any individual player in the 2013 lottery even though odds are strongly in favor of multiple 2013 picks eventually making it. (Heck, Jamaal Magloire was an All-Star from the terrible Kenyon Martin draft class). When the 2014 draft rolls around, there are going to be multiple guys who you can peg as highly likely future All-Stars before the draft begins. There are no guarantees, but I would swing for the fences with this draft class ala Boston and Philly's approach rather than shoot for a 6th seed.

And there is the problem with us tanking something like near half the teams are allegedly doing this. It may be easier to win 40 this year than it is to win 10!

• Moderators

And there is the problem with us tanking something like near half the teams are allegedly doing this. It may be easier to win 40 this year than it is to win 10!

I don't mind competing for the prize and hoping we get lucky in the draft. The fact that other teams recognize this year as an unusually high impact opportunity for the draft isn't going to dissuade me from trying to capitalize on that opportunity.

But it is all academic since we are on pace for our 6th seed, mid-round pick, and 1st round exit.

• Premium Member

Ferry has been given too much credit. The man has built nothing in the league yet people act as if he has a successful track record. Right now the Hawks are the '09-10 Cavs minus LeBron.

• Like 1

Which years are the prime watching years!!?? I hope its not all downhill from here. My advice: let the roster develop, let the team play, then get upset.

You still have no idea what is going to happen at this point.

And remember that becoming a contender is not just as simple as signing two big name guys, we all saw how it worked out for the Lakers last year.

Edited by ag82

Why is everyone assuming that the Hawks will still make the playoffs next year?

Based on what, Horford and Millsap alone? An undersized but very good PF playing next to a potentially great PF being kept out of position at C?

Korver & Jenkins & Sweet Lou?

Look, I like all of these players individually; I even love Horford & think that I'm going to really like Millsap.

But as a team building exercise, what do the Hawks have really?

And who are they gonna add that will make a difference?

Sorry, I know that the East is bad once you get past the top few teams (who are pretty stinking good), but it's not THAT bad.

See, I can be pessimistic too!

• Premium Member

Why is everyone assuming that the Hawks will still make the playoffs next year?

Based on what, Horford and Millsap alone? An undersized but very good PF playing next to a potentially great PF being kept out of position at C?

Korver & Jenkins & Sweet Lou?

Look, I like all of these players individually; I even love Horford & think that I'm going to really like Millsap.

But as a team building exercise, what do the Hawks have really?

And who are they gonna add that will make a difference?

Sorry, I know that the East is bad once you get past the top few teams (who are pretty stinking good), but it's not THAT bad.

See, I can be pessimistic too!

The teams that definitely should make it barring injury:

Heat

Bulls

Knicks

Pacers

Nets

That leaves three spots. Someone is going to not suck enough to fill out those three spots.

This off season has been terrible for The Hawks. Absolutely terrible. The Hawks came into the off season with no bad contracts, and plenty of cap space and left with Paul Millsap being the only noteworthy addition. Something is very wrong with that folks. Just a failure of an off season all around.

We're going to miss one of the most stacked drafts in recent years just so we can be a playoff team. Instead of being optimistic about potentially picking a good young talent, we'll be hoping that a gem falls to us. Chad Ford recently said that they'll be at least 7 potential all stars coming into the league next year and The Hawks actually want to miss out on that action. We're talking about talent that could legitimately make people in GA interested in the franchise for the first time in god knows how long. Laughable decision from a laughable franchise.

All the goodwill I had towards Ferry is gone. Period.

But it is all academic since we are on pace for our 6th seed, mid-round pick, and 1st round exit.

Some guys on here would be happy with those results though. They've gotten so used to mediocrity that the idea of rebuilding scares them. In their minds, rebuilding is worse than being a go nowhere playoff team. I've never seen such complacent fans. It's mind boggling really.

I guess the good thing at least. We finally got a legit headcoach. I will say that wasn't a failure. Let hope he can work miracles.

Did we though? Have you seen him coach a game? I realize the potential, but it's tough to automatically say we got a "legit head coach", who's never actually been a head coach.

So far we are better team the last year with the exceptions of ZaZa and Teague.Assuming we resign Teague and sign a veteran C with a pulse then I see a team that will be better then last year.

Hey Coach, I moved this here to keep the threads distinct.

I hope that's okay! (if not, we'll ask Dolfan to delete it).

I really couldn't disagree more that this team, as currently constituted, is NOT better than last year at any position.

PG: Worse (likely losing Teague, lost Harris, added an intriguing but very young Euro rook. Even if Hawks match Teague, this is worse atm).

SG: Worse (lost Harris, unofficially losing Stevenson, retained Lou & Jenkins, added a Cunningham).

SF: Same [resigned Korver, signed DMC, losing Stevenson, lost Jones. Resign DeShawn and this becomes a marginal improvement because of depth (DMC = a younger Stevenson)].

PF: Slightly worse (Josh is a better player; Millsap may be a better team player. Kept Mike Scott. Losing Ivan?).

C: Worse [Retained Horford, forced Zaza out, added a Bebe (but will he stay across the pond), added a Muscala].

So where are Hawks better again?