• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why isn't Smitty a coach?

frankthetank966

As a big Steve Smith fan I'd really like to see this guy perform outside of his NBA TV role. He is a great leader and understands the game. Ultimately I'd like to see him in the capacity of a coach or assistant coach. He would fit well for the Hawks since he understands the Atlanta markets and would be a great voice in the locker room. Smitty is upbeat and positive. I'd be happy to have him involved in the Hawks organization. I was sad to see him leave his role as a color commentator with Bob Rathburn. What do y'all think?

• Like 1

• Moderators

It's definitely the NBATV gig. Keeps him reasonably high-profile, free of the ESPN loudmouth zaniness, and based right in the town where he wants to be. Remember back when he was traded to Portland, he lamented about his foregone wishes to retire as a Hawk and then move right into the front office. Smitty loves ATL and, as long as Turner Sports keeps the contract, there's no need for a coaching job that keeps him bouncing around the country 40-60 times a year and looking for new jobs several times every decade.

Side note on assistants: I saw Lester Conner settled in with the Nuggets this past weekend.

~lw3