• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

TEAGUE VS Schröder

YoungRondo22

Forget all that biased crap, lets be real here, Teague today is by far better than Schröder.Teague at Wake Forest was better than Schröder right now.Teague is quicker, faster, better jumper, ballhandler, shooter and scorer, and Teague is about 20-25 pounds heavier than Schröder.Teague has proven himself against top NBA players, Schröder did OK in SL, Schröder's vision is ahead of Teagues but thats it.Teague will destroy Schröder and when we hear that in training camp dont be suprised.

• Like 1

Forget all that biased crap, lets be real here, Teague today is by far better than Schröder.Teague at Wake Forest was better than Schröder right now.Teague is quicker, faster, better jumper, ballhandler, shooter and scorer, and Teague is about 20-25 pounds heavier than Schröder.Teague has proven himself against top NBA players, Schröder did OK in SL, Schröder's vision is ahead of Teagues but thats it.Teague will destroy Schröder and when we hear that in training camp dont be suprised.

Teague is the starter and that's a given. Schröder is a good prospect/project and that is also a given. The hype over Dennis around here is a lot like the hype over Rubio. Rubio still has a lot to prove IMO. Dennis on the other hand has nothing to prove since he was taken so late.

I like Schröder and his worse case is a solid passing backup PG. I am good with him and Teague taking care of our PG duties for the next five years!

• Like 1

I agree but I honestly dont see Schröder ever being better than Teague, Teague has potential to be a top 5 PG in the next few years, with Paul and D.Will getting older. Teague has to assert himself more he has all thr tools to at least be a top 10 pg.The Schröder hype is too wild as of now.

• Like 1

I agree but I honestly dont see Schröder ever being better than Teague, Teague has potential to be a top 5 PG in the next few years, with Paul and D.Will getting older.Teague has to assert himself more he has all thr tools to at least be a top 10 pg.The Schröder hype is too wild as of now.

I really don't see top five for Teague. But top ten is reachable IMO. His value for us could and should be similar to Conley's value to Memphis. I have no doubt he could be a 16 points and 7 ot 8 assist PG and that will be pushing the top ten envelope. The hyped up Rubio's best season to date was 10.6 and 8.2 with a career FG% of .359. Schröder and Rubio have very similar games and that shooting % is why I am not buying into the hype on either.

I am glad we have Dennis as a backup with potential; but Teague is hands down the better player right now.

• Like 1

I dont think Teague could reach top 5 either but his tools and potential are top 5 material, he averaged 7 assist per game and he's not a pure PG thats says alot about how talented he really is.I think Teague could average 18-20 ppg with 8 apg this year if he plays aggressive and asserts himself.But Im with you im not buying the Schröder hype until proven otherwise.

• Premium Member

I'm just glad we have both of them. I think that they will offer a change of pace. Teague...Blink... in his fast uptempo, good shot from outside, can blow past you if you're not looking and D-Nice with his passing to the open man in his spot and soon to be strong defense.

I agree that Teague is better but it's going to be a good combination.

• Like 1

I agree that the kid is getting too much hype. I will go as far to say that I would have rather us find a way to draft a C, SG, or SF that is ready to play and possibly start over the kid. I am really not a fan of either of Ferry's drafts so far. We drafted a backup PG and a C that will not see the floor this year. We need legit starters at the SG,SF, and C positions. Teague will impress me if he can up his numbers while being as efficient or more than last year because its more pressure. Our starters are even worse than last year. His defensive help is even worse than last year. If Teague and Horford can improve there overall numbers and be as efficient as they were last year and we make the playoffs, they are your two legit keepers. We don't need both Milsaps and Horford so nothing he does will impress me.

Lastly, if Lou is out to start the season we will get to see a lot of the kid early. We should encourage him and live with his mistakes but some will find that hard to do when you have people making statements like he is better than Teague now.

I agree that the kid is getting too much hype. I will go as far to say that I would have rather us find a way to draft a C, SG, or SF that is ready to play and possibly start over the kid. I am really not a fan of either of Ferry's drafts so far. We drafted a backup PG and a C that will not see the floor this year. We need legit starters at the SG,SF, and C positions. Teague will impress me if he can up his numbers while being as efficient or more than last year because its more pressure. Our starters are even worse than last year. His defensive help is even worse than last year. If Teague and Horford can improve there overall numbers and be as efficient as they were last year and we make the playoffs, they are your two legit keepers. We don't need both Milsaps and Horford so nothing he does will impress me.

Lastly, if Lou is out to start the season we will get to see a lot of the kid early. We should encourage him and live with his mistakes but some will find that hard to do when you have people making statements like he is better than Teague now.

There was no one left to draft that is ready to start this season at any of those positions. I think Ferry would have jumped at the chance to grab either Olynyk or Shabazz but both were gone. Bullock, Dieng, Karasev, and Goodwin are decent prospects but they have just as much a learning/improvement curve as Schröder and Lucas IMO.

Bullock may have been the safest pick due to his rebounding and defense; but he also has the least upside. Danny swung for the fences with our late picks looking for future starters. I think they have the most potential and upside vs either of the four I mentioned above.

Edited by Buzzard

It's all about mentality. Teague has yet to exhibit the "Killer Instinct" over long stretches. He has moments, but overall he's too passive. Schröder seems to be more of a floor general. In the SL, he truly directed traffic. The ball went where HE wanted it to. If Teague would develop this trait, he could be one of the better PG's in the league.

• Moderators

It's all about mentality. Teague has yet to exhibit the "Killer Instinct" over long stretches. He has moments, but overall he's too passive. Schröder seems to be more of a floor general. In the SL, he truly directed traffic. The ball went where HE wanted it to. If Teague would develop this trait, he could be one of the better PG's in the league.

I hear what you're saying but the difference is that in SL the other 4 guys on the floor didn't have their own agenda about where the ball should go. Teague has had to contend with other guys on the floor wanting to run the show for 3 years. I don't expect that to be a big problem this year.

• Like 1

I hear what you're saying but the difference is that in SL the other 4 guys on the floor didn't have their own agenda about where the ball should go. Teague has had to contend with other guys on the floor wanting to run the show for 3 years. I don't expect that to be a big problem this year.

You have to remember that guys are trying to make teams and are fighting for their careers in Summer League too as it often turns into individual showcases more often than any semblance of organized ball. It should also be noted that a young foreigner has walked into the Hoop Summit and SL and turned heads with his poise and leadership on the court right off the bat. He doesn't look like he needs a special coach to specifically massage the "dog" out of him and hopefully not the excuse that the reason why he can't command the respect of his teammates is solely on them and nothing to do with him.

• Like 1

I'm glad they are both on the Hawks. See what Elton Brand had to say about he and Teague running the PnR:

Bud’s system is very heavy on pick-and-roll/pick-and-pop. You’ll have Jeff Teague and Dennis Schröder running that. Have you gotten a chance to work out with Dennis and Jeff here? And, Dennis is a proficient pick-and-roll player even as a rookie, what do you see in his game?

Yeah, I’m excited to play with those guys. Teague runs pick-and-roll a lot and Dennis runs pick-and-roll a lot. With Dennis, it’s the way he picks the ball up full-court [on defense]. We’re playing pick-up, and he’s picking up out of bounds. As a pick-and-roll threat, he’s a rookie and he’s still learning, he’s very good at it, but he’s still learning. But that defense, that is a thing to see

• Moderators

You have to remember that guys are trying to make teams and are fighting for their careers in Summer League too as it often turns into individual showcases more often than any semblance of organized ball. It should also be noted that a young foreigner has walked into the Hoop Summit and SL and turned heads with his poise and leadership on the court right off the bat. He doesn't look like he needs a special coach to specifically massage the "dog" out of him and hopefully not the excuse that the reason why he can't command the respect of his teammates is solely on them and nothing to do with him.

I'm really high on Dennis so i'm not knocking his performance at all in SL. But as you said it often turns into individual showcases so it helps to be the guy with the ball in your hands.

We'll see this year with Teague but I'm expecting big things.

There was no one left to draft that is ready to start this season at any of those positions. I think Ferry would have jumped at the chance to grab either Olynyk or Shabazz but both were gone. Bullock, Dieng, Karasev, and Goodwin are decent prospects but they have just as much a learning/improvement curve as Schröder and Lucas IMO.

Bullock may have been the safest pick due to his rebounding and defense; but he also has the least upside. Danny swung for the fences with our late picks looking for future starters. I think they have the most potential and upside vs either of the four I mentioned above.

Notice I said find a way. Meaning move up or make some trade.

Notice I said find a way. Meaning move up or make some trade.

Find away? It takes another team willing to participate, it's not done in a vacuum. Who did we have to trade to move up? Or trade in general?

I'm really high on Dennis so i'm not knocking his performance at all in SL. But as you said it often turns into individual showcases so it helps to be the guy with the ball in your hands.

We'll see this year with Teague but I'm expecting big things.

And again, all of the applause that Dennis received from multiple sources was not at all over him putting up stats but rather demonstrating a poise and maturity on the court. He didn't just have the ball in his hands, he was running an offense. There's a huge discrepancy between the two which is what Tomac is alluding to when he mentions aspects of their mentality. Teague has all of the physical tools but he's never once demonstrated the intangibles of which many seem to think that Schröder is already in possession of. The belief by some is that Joe/Josh are directly reponsible for this......well, we will see.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

About Schröder, though - don't forget that it wasn't just Hawks fans hyping him up during summer league; he was getting major love from national writers and scouts. So I think Teague is clearly better right now than Schröder, but Schröder has a legit chance to be a really good player down the road.

The hype is easy. Ferry hyped Schröder up so that people wouldn't feel bad about the pick.

Honestly, we need swingmen... SG, SF... C.... PG was one of the positions we were OK with.

• Like 1