• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Nogueira having problems with gaining weight

Ebert

His coach said he is not even to thirty percent and he is having tendinitis caused by his weight gain

Bad news because besides he needs to gain a lot of weight this season, he also needs to be a better player on the court and needs to play... lets hope

Source: http://www.marca.com/2013/10/02/baloncesto/nba/noticias/1380706246.html

Tyson chandler never gained significant weight and he turned out to be good. I don't believe in forcing weight on a frame that isn't accepting it. A baller is a baller no matter size, weight, etc. IMHO

It should be less about weight and more about adding strength. Gaining too much weight or gaining it too fast will not serve any meaningful purpose.Are the Hawks overseeing his strength and conditioning, are they having any input?

I agree jay...size is nothing. Look at eddy curry for example, I seriously think people mistake size for strength often. Joakim Noah is thin but strong. John Stockton was thin and strong, Chris Mullin, list goes on n on.

My spanish is a little rusty. What does it mean to be 30%?

To be 100% would mean that you are playing your best basketball and you are phisically perfect... so to be 30% is something really bad, that means you are unfit

It should be less about weight and more about adding strength. Gaining too much weight or gaining it too fast will not serve any meaningful purpose.Are the Hawks overseeing his strength and conditioning, are they having any input?

I agree

I think that maybe the coach wants to motivate him too...

Don't know why there's such an impetus for weight gain. You have Anthony Davis go #1, Nerlens Noel was pretty much slated in at #1 before his ACL, Larry Sanders just got a $44 mil extension, Joakim Noah has been around, Marcus Camby has really been around, then guys like Garnett and Dalembert that really didn't start putting on weight until damn near their 30s when their metabolisms calmed down. The truth is that you can survive in this league as a skinny shot blocking C as long as your motor is up and you display good IQ. Sure, don't expect any ironman streaks or even to average above 65 games a season but you can most definitely be an impact player in this league despite a lower weight.

Give me a player over a physical specimen any giving day of the week but now we just really need to determine whether Bebe is any good....although he displayed decent instincts on some aspects of the game during SL.

• Like 1

mace, many of those guys can defend inside and outside (not dalembert, I guess) and they have great length and good to great athleticism. garnett was always a very smart player. i'd think that nogs will be a 5, period.

another concept is having good reactive strength, which I think those guys have, bouncy run jump athleticism. running the 800m, you hear coaches say that they want to limit mesomorphs from putting on too much weight because they'll try to muscle through the event and cause more muscle damage. Instead, if they are smooth and float they can be more efficient, better times with less damage. there's a line, though. you need a certain level of strength, a certain threshold, in order to maximize your speed for the event.

not everyone has the right type of muscles, tendons, etc, though, and def most people do not have elite level athleticism. you look at any combine of high school kids, and it is shocking how much an elite few outshine everyone else.

in any case, I don't think nogs has either. he is not an elite athlete, overly bouncy, and he is not overly strong. he is friggin long, though, and i'd hope that he can work around his weaknesses to contribute.

Don't know why there's such an impetus for weight gain. You have Anthony Davis go #1, Nerlens Noel was pretty much slated in at #1 before his ACL, Larry Sanders just got a $44 mil extension, Joakim Noah has been around, Marcus Camby has really been around, then guys like Garnett and Dalembert that really didn't start putting on weight until damn near their 30s when their metabolisms calmed down. The truth is that you can survive in this league as a skinny shot blocking C as long as your motor is up and you display good IQ. Sure, don't expect any ironman streaks or even to average above 65 games a season but you can most definitely be an impact player in this league despite a lower weight.

Give me a player over a physical specimen any giving day of the week but now we just really need to determine whether Bebe is any good....although he displayed decent instincts on some aspects of the game during SL.

Around here, all you had to do was bring up Deke and you would have made most people go, "Hmm, yeah that's true."

But we see your point. Especially if it's causing the guy to become injured by putting on the extra weight. Now at least Noogie can run like a freaking gazelle; can't do that with tendonitis. Just saying.