• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Streaming Hawks Games.

AmishBoy

Get NBA League Pass Broadband. Choose 5 teams for $129 or get all for $189. The service should be much improved as you can choose home or away broadcast. The customer support sucks, but I have not had problems with streaming quality from them since 2009ish. BB does lag behind TV so if you are in The Chat Factory then it could be less enjoyable to see people talk about a dunk before it happens.

Won't be an issue this year as I doubt there will be many dunks at the 3pt factory.

I no longer recommend any of those streaming sites as they all come with some form of malware with them. So I'm not going to add any links but if someone else wants to, then it's at your own risk. But for me I'm much happier with my 4 payments of $30 or whatever it is that I'm paying for NBA League Pass BB.

But league pass is still useless for people in Atlanta who want to watch hawks games. Cable/Satellite/malware are the only choices.

Actually I've heard really good things about people using this service. https://www.ipvanish.com

VPNs and Traveling

Using a VPN is critical when you're traveling because your Internet access may be limited while visiting certain locations. For example, you may be a paying customer for a particular media service at home, but unable to use it because every country's Internet service varies. IPVanish has a complete network of Worldwide Tier-1 VPN Servers to choose from, allowing you to enjoy the comforts of home no matter where you are. All you need to do is pull up the VPN client, double click on the country or city you want an IP address from, refresh your browser and you'll have a fast and secure connection in no time.

IPVanish also allows you to switch between IP addresses as often as you like, so you can go from the US to the UK to Australia to Japan to France, all within a matter of minutes and without any limit on the number of times you switch from location to location.

It is especially critical to use a VPN while using a hotel's Internet connection. You may think that you are playing it safe by using a cable connection versus Wi-Fi while in a hotel, but guess again. Hackers often compromise wired hotel connections by serving up malware to anyone using the hotel network even when they are connected using an Ethernet cable.

That's pretty cool. So I guess you can get it and use it on any device but not have to use it on all? So just use it on the computer i want to use league pass on right?

Yep you basically just open up the utility and select your server to connect to and then refresh your browser. When you're done you would just disconnect. I don't know if you can use this on phones or tablets but they might have an app, I just didn't look for it or ask about it.

That does not seem to apply to AmishBoy. Or at least, it only makes sense for AmishBoy to worry about NBA League Pass if he is outside of the Atlanta Market. If he is in the Atlanta Market, well then just get cable! And if you have charter, then you have cable! And you get the Hawks games!

If Charter is anything like Comcast, then League Pass is a huge ripoff as only 1-2 games are in HD every night. Plus it's more expensive than the broadband package. I'd rather just get broadband and VPN.

Comcast as a company does not offer League Pass in HD except 1-2 games a day. It's a horrible decision and I've let them know several times. Charter is a much smaller company so if he surprised if they do but you never know. As far as I know only the dish companies offer every game in HD. I could be wrong on that so don't quote me. I can only say with certainty that Comcast in the enormous Houston market does not offer it and I'm nearly certain they don't anywhere else either.http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/Where-is-NBA-League-Pass/td-p/1866989

• Premium Member

If Charter is anything like Comcast, then League Pass is a huge ripoff as only 1-2 games are in HD every night. Plus it's more expensive than the broadband package. I'd rather just get broadband and VPN.

I had to get it through Comcast last year. You're right, it was the biggest ripoff ever. The worst thing is they didn't even pick the good games to put in HD, they'd pick whatever game started first. You'd have Raptors vs Bobcats in HD while Miami vs Chicago would be in SD.

Luckily I was able to switch to DirecTV and will be able to watch the Hawks play in HD all year long.

• Like 1

That is interesting about Comcast/Xfinity. Is this really a company-wide policy to have 1-2 HD games? It looks like Comcast has broadband coverage in Houston, Atlanta, the Northeast, Chicago, San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle (http://www.broadbandmap.gov/about-provider/comcast-corporation/nationwide/). They are a major provider of broadband, which is where they will have enough bandwidth to provide HD channels. So maybe someone has Comcast in an area different than Houston where this is not the case?

At the end of the day, this is still a bandwidth/cost issue for Comcast. Even though they have coverage, that does not imply they have sufficient bandwidth to the area. The HD channels require more bandwidth. It is possible Comcast has a policy where they want to be uniform across customers in serving NBALP. While you may have enough bandwidth to handle multiple HD channels, other areas of Houston may be severely lacking. It may be cost prohibitive to upgrade infrastructure in those lacking areas in order to provide those extra HD games.

They have plenty of bandwidth, heck the Xfinity X1 platform has hundreds of HD channels, including NFL Network, NBA TV, ESPN(s), NFL Red Zone, etc. etc. and I'm pretty sure that they get the baseball and hockey packages in HD, though I've never ordered myself so I can't say for sure.

At my house I've got 50 down and 10 up and I'm not even in one of the faster areas that gets 100 down. Houston is easily equipped to handle this and so are all these other major cities I'm sure. This is just a strange decision from somewhere up the chain. And it's definitely not just Houston as that link was a general Comcast question and answer, not just a regional one.

Thx everybody. I completely forgot about leaguepass broadband. Now all I have to do is figure out how to watch it on my ps3 and i'm good.

I don't have a PS3 so can't comment there but I used it on my Xbox 360 last year and it was pretty good. Got Roku 3's for the house this year though and I expect it will be even better and easier to use than going through the gaming console. I have the NFL Network "channel" on my Roku and a subscription to NFL Game Rewind, which is pretty awesome because I can watch every game from the past 2 seasons in full HD right on my TV. I'm guessing NBA League Pass will be just as good.

Well I am floored then. I would have to take a lot of time to figure out why Comcast would do this as a company wide policy. And at the same time, why the NBA would allow this to happen. My first instinct is to say that the NBA would want to ensure decent quality of their product or else they wouldn't offer it...errr that isn't right. NBALPBB really really really sucked 4 years ago. This is also the same league that threw a new basketball out to start a season then abruptly changed course.

Comcast claims that they're only giving the customer what's provided to them, but I think that's BS. I'm curious though if any cable companies offer NBALP in full HD though. Dish companies and U-Verse / FIOS don't count among what I'm referring to as cable companies.

Last year I had Time Warner cable and got 95% of the games in HD (sometimes the Jazz games weren't in HD, Joseph Smith must have made HD a sin or something).

There was a problem for the first month or so of service.That was because they initially gave me an older set-top box that was incapable of decrypting 75% of the HD feeds. I could always watch the SD feeds just fine. Once they gave me the new set-top box I was good to go.

Interesting. So maybe it's just a Comcast decision then.

Welp, NBALP finally fixed my problem. Now I have so many options. I can watch the Orlando Magic Broadcast on my computer, the Indiana Pacers Broadcast on my Kindle, and TNT for the Bulls-Heat game. Why that many? Mainly because I can, and also to show I am trying to be a well-rounded and unbiased NBA fan. Totally unbiased over here.

*Both broadband feeds are lagging behind. The picture on my Kindle is real clear. The computer is not as clear but still close to HD quality. I am going to blame that on Matt Guokas though.

Could be that you're trying to stream more than your broadband can handle. If you're only connected to 1 stream and doing nothing else online how does it look?