• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

To Tank or Not To Tank

phoostal

Interesting article in the Orlando Sentinel yesterday by columnist Mike Bianchi. I would post it but you have to have a paid subscription to read it. Listening to local (orlando area) and national radio (Dan Lebatard on ESPN) yesterday they went over the article.

To sum up the article it was wether a team should tank or not.

Bianchi did some research for this article, stating that since the draft lottery teams that finish with 25 wins or less in a year and are in the draft lottery have a 10% chance of contending for an NBA title (one of the final eight teams) over the next five years after they won 25 or less.

Teams that finish with 34 to 49 wins have a 20% chance of contending for an NBA title over the next five years after they won their 34 to 49 wins.

This has been a hot topic here in Orlando as the fan base thinks there is no way to contend by tanking each year.

It just goes to show that tanking isn't the be all in all to build a champion. There are many options and with Bianchi's research it shows you tanking might be the worst option out of all of them.

Eh, the way the Hawks have been going these last 3 to 4 years, they have an incredibly slim chance at winning a title as well.

When it comes to tanking, it's all about the staff an organization has in place. If a team has a smart GM, good scouts, and a competent player development staff, rebuilding is going to be much easier. The problem is most of these constant tanking teams are bad for a reason. They don't have a lot of competence in the organization so they obviously won't have much luck in drafting. That's common sense.

Edited by Zone

Lets be real. We have to good of a team to actually tank. Nobody on the team is just going to say hey, lets lose as many games as possible. Wont happen. Our only hope is that Teague goes off all season and we trade him, someone else, and our first for a top 3 pick. We are in no position to actually "tank"

Wiggins, Parker, Randle, Gordon, Smart. That's 5 right there. Possibly all franchise type potential players. That's why I think since we have a good GM who has a vision in Ferry. A good system implemented by Ferry and coach Bud to resemble the Spurs, it wouldn't hurt us to tank this year. I mean the bottom 2 teams record wise could do no worse than the 4th and 5th picks, even if Stern/Silver try to screw you they can't. They have stuck it to us forever, it's time to get our own franchise guy through the draft because free agency isn't working right now. I l